Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Unable to configure APN settings?

@Korth wrote:

I found the problem and the solution.

The problem is that carriers can push APN settings.  They can flag a bit which forces connected devices to accept their settings.  They can flag another bit which locks these settings (makes them "greyed out" to prevent user editing).  And newer Android versions (7.0, 8.0, 8.1, etc) comply with these lockouts by default.

This makes things easier for consumers who aren't tech savvy, everything automagically configures itself.  It also makes things harder for users who want fully unlocked devices which can work with any carrier (or who want to migrate their devices to other carriers).  And it's basically the new incarnation of old carrier-locked devices - not regulated by the CRTC - disappointing and shameful that Public Mobile follows this practice (when they could instead push APN settings alongside Telus and Koodo).

The solution is hidden in Settings > About Phone.  Click "Android Version/Build Number" seven or eight times - this will display some sort of "Easter Egg" image onscreen while also enabling USB Debugging Mode (for developers).  Then plug the phone into a PC with the USB cable.  Then open an ADB shell and type the command:

am start -a android.intent.action.INSERT content://telephony/carriers --ei simId -1

Then unplug the USB cable and restart the phone.  The carrier-pushed APNs will still be greyed out but the "Add new APN" option will be enabled so you can create a new APN with Public Mobile's settings.  Some phones may require the SIM card present while doing all this, other phones may require the SIM card removed.

It worked for me.  Hopefully it works for others.

@Korth No need for all that. The OP phone runs the latest Android version 9 stock. He can add APNs at will.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@geopublic wrote:

@Korth wrote:

I found the problem and the solution.

The problem is that carriers can push APN settings.  They can flag a bit which forces connected devices to accept their settings.  They can flag another bit which locks these settings (makes them "greyed out" to prevent user editing).  And newer Android versions (7.0, 8.0, 8.1, etc) comply with these lockouts by default.

This makes things easier for consumers who aren't tech savvy, everything automagically configures itself.  It also makes things harder for users who want fully unlocked devices which can work with any carrier (or who want to migrate their devices to other carriers).  And it's basically the new incarnation of old carrier-locked devices - not regulated by the CRTC - disappointing and shameful that Public Mobile follows this practice (when they could instead push APN settings alongside Telus and Koodo).

The solution is hidden in Settings > About Phone.  Click "Android Version/Build Number" seven or eight times - this will display some sort of "Easter Egg" image onscreen while also enabling USB Debugging Mode (for developers).  Then plug the phone into a PC with the USB cable.  Then open an ADB shell and type the command:

am start -a android.intent.action.INSERT content://telephony/carriers --ei simId -1

Then unplug the USB cable and restart the phone.  The carrier-pushed APNs will still be greyed out but the "Add new APN" option will be enabled so you can create a new APN with Public Mobile's settings.  Some phones may require the SIM card present while doing all this, other phones may require the SIM card removed.

It worked for me.  Hopefully it works for others.

@Korth No need for all that. The OP phone runs the latest Android version 9 stock. He can add APNs at will.

@geopublic, @Korth IS the OP in this particular APN thread, and his SKY device has (had) the Android 8.1 APN lock down problem??

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@wetcoaster wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Korth wrote:

@geopublic, @Korth IS the OP in this particular APN thread, and his SKY device has (had) the Android 8.1 APN lock down problem??

@wetcoaster , @Korth  My aplogies posted this in the wrong thread. I thought it was the Umidigi F1 Play thread. Will edit thanks for the heads up.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Korth 

Outstanding.

I have A8 on an S7. The APN just automagically happened. I'm fairly sure this is only a problem here with 8.1.

I think the other SIM fix is perhaps better for most people. Other than acquiring one. Running adb and a complicated command line would be too much for most mortals.

That old phone I talked about had a setting to allow apps from another source. I guess one could say doing so on A8 is a little involved too. I would still say downloading an app and running it separately and allowing it to run is easier.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

lol, I started this thread, I didn't award a Solution to anyone, but I received a Solution?

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Korth wrote:

lol, I started this thread, I didn't award a Solution to anyone, but I received a Solution?

Oracle's can set solutions. If you have email notifications set for solutions then you can see who gave you the solution. Don't you think your awesome post deserves to be called the solution? 🙂

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

On the off chance that someone actually comes back to this thread - I have a Sky Selfie Pro and have downloaded adb to my computer.  Despite entering developer mode by repeatedly pressing the android version and connecting my phone to the computer adb doesn't recognize any devices.  Any advice for what I should use as a driver, being as sky doesn't even list this device on their website?

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Jethro82Which OS are you talking about? Windows? Linux? I find linux the simpliest as there is no drivers to speak of. There are also several versions or packages of adb floating around. Either way, if you connect your phone ot the computer, it should still show up in your USB device tree, whether you have the drivers for it (or not).

I would recommend you to see if there are any information about the device on XDA developer.

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yeah - I'm using Windows 10.

This is what running "adb version" tells me.

Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.41
Version 29.0.1-5644136
Windows recognizes my device - it gives me a name and a battery level, and if I set it up to do file transfer I can send files to and from it, it's just ADB that's giving me issues.  I'll check out XDA.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Jethro82So I assume when you type adb devices, nothing comes up even if the phone is connected in Windows 10? I recall there is an optional driver package that you need to change in Device Manager. I am sure there is a tutorial that lay out everything for you on XDA.

Need Help? Let's chat.