cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to configure APN settings?

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I have a "SKY_Pro_Selfie_V06" device - a Google phone pre-loaded and pre-configured with tons of bloaty Google junk - I'm using it for a while but I'd prefer to not root or firmware mod the device because it'll be given to my tech-dinosaur parents once my new phone arrives from Alibaba.

Android 8.1.0

Settings > Mobile Network ...

Data roaming > "OFF"

(not set to "ON" because this phone will only be used in BC anyhow)

Network operators > "Public Mobile 3G"

(other options in my area are usually "Bell 3G", "EXT 3G", "EXT 2G")

Preferred network type > "WCDMA/GSM (Predetermined)"

("WCDMA Only" and "GSM Only" are both greyed out)

Access Point Names ...

"Koodo SP" (sp.koodo.com, listed twice)

"TELUS SP" (sp.telus.com)

"TELUS Services" (services.telus.com)

"Telus mobile" (sp.telus.com)

Nothing like "Public Mobile (sp.mb.com)" is listed.  I cannot find any sort of advanced or manual settings, everything is friendly and simplified and automated.  So I cannot properly configure this device to access data.

Does anyone know any way to override the auto-configuration or access hidden settings on these devices?

51 REPLIES 51

neill1234
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thought I'd add something that might help.

I recently was pulling my hair out with Tech Support at MINT Mobile because my Samsung Galaxy s9+ wouldn't allow the saving of a generic MINT APN configuration.

Then I realized the phone was somehow "stuck" on Android 8 with a latest Security patch of 2018. The phone wouldn't update at all until I researched the update issue, fixed it, and then after multiple updates and patches the phone became as updated as a relatively old machine will ever be.

The updating process fixed the issue, as the phone now worked on an APN that MINT had originally provided......*and* I could now configure and save the latest MINT APN Settings. Going from Android 8 to 10 saved the day.

roberto24
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hi body .i had the same problem to configurate my apn settings because no add button and someone told me use a freedom sim or a roam. i use a international sim (in my case from peru) and it really worked .thanks we are a community and learn from each one i apreciate it.get a foreign card and try it.have a wonderful day 

@José wrote:

Would this method work for my s20 ultra?

Do you mean a Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra?  I've read anything about being unable to added a new APN oin any Samsung device before. You should be able to manually add an APN setting from the normal device menus.

José

Would this method work for my s20 ultra?

lokiguy

Did u try using a freedom mobile SIM card? That's what I used on my Ouikitel W6 and it allowed me to add public mobiles APN on my phone.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Korth  haha ya. I know. Figured they would click the link and it would bring them back to first page 😝

I'm with you I'd ditch it to but I've never liked sky devices.

Maybe moderator's can send that APN config file that they send to some 🤔

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

Can't he use your instructions on thread below that you posted about the sky pro selfie using adb shell for APN?

Your link leads to the question and solution posted in this thread, lol.

Yes, the solution I posted did work for me. It should work for @Tinker if the phone is the same model running the same software. It could be a different SKY phone, it could be running different (or updated) SKY software. I no longer have access to that phone so I can no longer compare or test any version specifics. (In theory, the phone/software version shouldn't matter. In practice, it can be important because manufacturers keep on installing stronger locks to secure against hacks and workarounds.)

Though a lot of people did seem to have problems getting the adbshell solution to work. Maybe I'm doing something different, maybe they're doing something different, maybe it just doesn't work on every device.

I think it's probably easier to just root this half-locky phone, if that's an option.

I think it's probably better to just replace this half-junky phone with something better, if that's an option.

@Korth  Can't he use your instructions on thread below that you posted about the sky pro selfie using adb shell for APN?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Unable-to-configure-APN-settings/td-p...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tinker wrote:

My phone is a Sky Pro-Selfie android 8.1.0 build number Sky_Pro_Selfie_v06_20180625

Find a Freedom SIM and you should be able to add/edit APN.

For 8.1 there's also an unoffical app out there that can apparently open the APN. It's called mynewapn something or other. It's not on the Google store.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

My parents hated that SKY phone, lol. It didn't take long for them to get a replacement.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Tinker wrote:

My phone is a Sky Pro-Selfie android 8.1.0 build number Sky_Pro_Selfie_v06_20180625

Have a look at this site:

http://helpforsmartphone.com/skydevices/en/devices/

Tinker

@Tinker what's the make and model of your phone? what steps have you taken? are you using command prompt or shell? your phone sounds like it is not connected correctly to adb.

make sure usb debugging is enabled in "developer options"

Tinker

Doesn't work for me, adb commands not recognized

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mpcdesign Subs fake cancel to try to get a deal.  Did you try your luck with retentions? Winback can be better than retention plan or can be worse. It depends if retentions believes you will cancel.

@mpcdesign wrote:

His response, 'oh, we can't do that until you officially leave!' I really don't understand the logic from cell-phone providers loyalty and retention departments! 

They operate like Big Business. All those managerials are expensive. They basically spend money before it's actually been paid to them. They pump up their numbers (total subscribers, average revenue per subscriber) whenever it's time to impress the shareholders.

And, to them, customers are a limited resource. Some 37 million Canadians in total. Some 33 million of these have mobile phones (the rest are probably underage, dinosaur, or survivalist types). Basically everybody in Canada who could have a phone already has a phone, market growth can only match population growth, so you can't get a new customer unless somebody else loses that customer. And once they get a customer they want to keep the customer, contracts or tabs or whatever, anything to secure ongoing revenue.

@gpixel and the worst thing, I would talk to customer service on the phone for an hour or two trying to figure things out. I did this for a year. I debated going back to Telus. I wasn't a big fan of Rogers or Bell until one of my freelance employers recommended me using Public Mobile. Even though they didn't use them, a few of them had heard good things from them.

Did the research, and debated another 3 months, and finally, I left Fido. The weird part as soon as I ported over, I get a call from Fido, asking me to come back, and the offer was quite nice, but I said, maybe, you should have offered that to me yesterday and NOT today! 

His response, 'oh, we can't do that until you officially leave!' I really don't understand the logic from cell-phone providers loyalty and retention departments! 

@mpcdesign I think that's a tactic every phone bill company uses lol. from what I heard bell was one of the worst. most people just pay their phone bills and don't bother to look at the charges until it gets really expensive. 

@gpixel if people took the time and try the work-around versus going back to a cell-phone carrier who one is trying or had thoughts leaving would or could have a sour taste within a few months. 

speaking for myself only, I was a Fido customer, and I was glad I left Fido when I did! Instead of having mysterious charges on my bill, I get mysterious rewards each month ranging from $1 to $10 (average) in community, loyalty and autopay rewards. yep, no referrals for me! 

@Jesse4 that customer was unwilling to try the workarounds so he just decided to go back to fido.

• you can try the freedom mobile sim to unlock the APN settings
  • there are moderators that have an APN config file they have sent to customers and it worked for them

look through this thread the second post is what you want to pay attention too

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/unable-to-change-APN/td-p/555004/page...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jesse4 wrote:

I have a Doogee s95 pro, running Android 9. 

If you type that up in that search box above here, you'll find a thread where someone was not successful. But we didn't get an update if they tried some other options.

Jesse4

I have a Doogee s95 pro, running Android 9. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jesse4 

What phone do you have and what OS version?

People have had success using a Freedom SIM and a couple others. There is an unofficial app out there called mynewapn or some such thing that has been known to work with some (or one) version(s).

Then yes there's the rumoured file via SMS from the moderators here. But it remains elusive.

@Jesse4 

Quick recap  ...

The instructions are too involved to post here. But the link leads to other links which lead to detailed instructions and guides. I'm not trying to be rude, rather I'm trying to avoid sucking us into 5 pages of technical walk through which have already been discussed quite comprehensively at the xda sites.

Even the ADB shell approach isn't guaranteed to work. Even if done correctly. The OEMs continue to implement new ways of locking end-users out of these settings.

If the easy SIM swap trick doesn't work and the ADB shell trick doesn't work and you're unwilling or unable to root your device then you basically have to choose between another device or another carrier or no data. Or hope that this mysterious file from the PM Mods will fix it for you ... I'd love to see some firsthand confirmation of this from any of these people or from the @CS_Agent themselves.

Jesse4

@Korth 

So you say to just open an adb shell and type in the command. But I could not find a way to type in the command using the download you linked too, more instruction please

tallgrass

I can't enable data either and found this post. This is the response I get when I do this at a shell prompt with su access. I tried with SIM in and SIM out. Not sure what the error message means.

# am start -a android.intent.action.INSERT content://telephony/carriers --ei simId -1

Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.INSERT dat=content://telephony/carriers }
Error: Activity not started, unable to resolve Intent { act=android.intent.action.INSERT dat=content://telephony/carriers flg=0x10000000 }

M3

Hi,

I have the Sky Pro Selfie phone too (8.1) and I've configured up to this point of the instructions (below).  When I open the ADB shell, there's a lot of command areas for "debugging, wireless, manager, etc...  Where do I enter this command?

Then open an ADB shell and type the command:

am start -a android.intent.action.INSERT content://telephony/carriers --ei simId -1

Mina

Jethro82

@Korth- I've done all that.  Did you need to do anything besides put it in developer mode?  I can't seem to find any settings to put it in debug mode specifically.  Also did you just download the 'platform tools' for the developer kit or did you install something?  (I'm downloading the zip for the tools and just running them in the unzipped directory).

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The standard USB drivers that installed with adb should be fine.

As @geopublic wrote, you need to turn on USB debugging, not just activate developer mode. 

@Jethro82 wrote:

On the off chance that someone actually comes back to this thread - I have a Sky Selfie Pro and have downloaded adb to my computer.  Despite entering developer mode by repeatedly pressing the android version and connecting my phone to the computer adb doesn't recognize any devices.  Any advice for what I should use as a driver, being as sky doesn't even list this device on their website?

@Jethro82  You need to turn USB debugging on from the developer mode menu before connecting your phone to your computer you also have to authorize the computer to access your phone via adb.

Need Help? Let's chat.