cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to configure APN settings?

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I have a "SKY_Pro_Selfie_V06" device - a Google phone pre-loaded and pre-configured with tons of bloaty Google junk - I'm using it for a while but I'd prefer to not root or firmware mod the device because it'll be given to my tech-dinosaur parents once my new phone arrives from Alibaba.

Android 8.1.0

Settings > Mobile Network ...

Data roaming > "OFF"

(not set to "ON" because this phone will only be used in BC anyhow)

Network operators > "Public Mobile 3G"

(other options in my area are usually "Bell 3G", "EXT 3G", "EXT 2G")

Preferred network type > "WCDMA/GSM (Predetermined)"

("WCDMA Only" and "GSM Only" are both greyed out)

Access Point Names ...

"Koodo SP" (sp.koodo.com, listed twice)

"TELUS SP" (sp.telus.com)

"TELUS Services" (services.telus.com)

"Telus mobile" (sp.telus.com)

Nothing like "Public Mobile (sp.mb.com)" is listed.  I cannot find any sort of advanced or manual settings, everything is friendly and simplified and automated.  So I cannot properly configure this device to access data.

Does anyone know any way to override the auto-configuration or access hidden settings on these devices?

51 REPLIES 51

@Jethro82 wrote:

On the off chance that someone actually comes back to this thread - I have a Sky Selfie Pro and have downloaded adb to my computer.  Despite entering developer mode by repeatedly pressing the android version and connecting my phone to the computer adb doesn't recognize any devices.  Any advice for what I should use as a driver, being as sky doesn't even list this device on their website?

The device will clearly indicate when Developer Mode is enabled.  It's usually hidden in "Android Version" or "Android Build" - keep tapping them many times - some sort of image or message always appears.  Sometimes a Developer Mode menu with techy options also becomes available under Settings.

On my SKY Selfie Pro a stylized Android logo appeared, tapping it once changed the image colour from green to blue (whatever that means), tapping it a second time made it disappear.  Dev Mode was activated and remained active until I restarted the phone.

Sorry, there's no way to simplify or autoscript the ADB shell.  You just have to read how it's done at the XDA sites and try it yourself.  The advantage is that it allows access to some fine control over hidden OS and SIM settings without having to root the device (or break Google Play).  You may have to repeat the process after major updates.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jethro82 

There's an unauthorized app available out there. You can also use a SIM from the likes of Roam and Freedom and Speakout.

@Jethro82So I assume when you type adb devices, nothing comes up even if the phone is connected in Windows 10? I recall there is an optional driver package that you need to change in Device Manager. I am sure there is a tutorial that lay out everything for you on XDA.

Jethro82
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yeah - I'm using Windows 10.

This is what running "adb version" tells me.

Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.41
Version 29.0.1-5644136
Windows recognizes my device - it gives me a name and a battery level, and if I set it up to do file transfer I can send files to and from it, it's just ADB that's giving me issues.  I'll check out XDA.

@Jethro82Which OS are you talking about? Windows? Linux? I find linux the simpliest as there is no drivers to speak of. There are also several versions or packages of adb floating around. Either way, if you connect your phone ot the computer, it should still show up in your USB device tree, whether you have the drivers for it (or not).

I would recommend you to see if there are any information about the device on XDA developer.

Jethro82
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

On the off chance that someone actually comes back to this thread - I have a Sky Selfie Pro and have downloaded adb to my computer.  Despite entering developer mode by repeatedly pressing the android version and connecting my phone to the computer adb doesn't recognize any devices.  Any advice for what I should use as a driver, being as sky doesn't even list this device on their website?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth wrote:

lol, I started this thread, I didn't award a Solution to anyone, but I received a Solution?

Oracle's can set solutions. If you have email notifications set for solutions then you can see who gave you the solution. Don't you think your awesome post deserves to be called the solution? 🙂

lol, I started this thread, I didn't award a Solution to anyone, but I received a Solution?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth 

Outstanding.

I have A8 on an S7. The APN just automagically happened. I'm fairly sure this is only a problem here with 8.1.

I think the other SIM fix is perhaps better for most people. Other than acquiring one. Running adb and a complicated command line would be too much for most mortals.

That old phone I talked about had a setting to allow apps from another source. I guess one could say doing so on A8 is a little involved too. I would still say downloading an app and running it separately and allowing it to run is easier.

@wetcoaster wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Korth wrote:

@Korth No need for all that. The OP phone runs the latest Android version 9 stock. He can add APNs at will.

@geopublic, @Korth IS the OP in this particular APN thread, and his SKY device has (had) the Android 8.1 APN lock down problem??

@wetcoaster , @Korth  My aplogies posted this in the wrong thread. I thought it was the Umidigi F1 Play thread. Will edit thanks for the heads up.

@geopublic wrote:

@Korth wrote:

I found the problem and the solution.

The problem is that carriers can push APN settings.  They can flag a bit which forces connected devices to accept their settings.  They can flag another bit which locks these settings (makes them "greyed out" to prevent user editing).  And newer Android versions (7.0, 8.0, 8.1, etc) comply with these lockouts by default.

This makes things easier for consumers who aren't tech savvy, everything automagically configures itself.  It also makes things harder for users who want fully unlocked devices which can work with any carrier (or who want to migrate their devices to other carriers).  And it's basically the new incarnation of old carrier-locked devices - not regulated by the CRTC - disappointing and shameful that Public Mobile follows this practice (when they could instead push APN settings alongside Telus and Koodo).

The solution is hidden in Settings > About Phone.  Click "Android Version/Build Number" seven or eight times - this will display some sort of "Easter Egg" image onscreen while also enabling USB Debugging Mode (for developers).  Then plug the phone into a PC with the USB cable.  Then open an ADB shell and type the command:

am start -a android.intent.action.INSERT content://telephony/carriers --ei simId -1

Then unplug the USB cable and restart the phone.  The carrier-pushed APNs will still be greyed out but the "Add new APN" option will be enabled so you can create a new APN with Public Mobile's settings.  Some phones may require the SIM card present while doing all this, other phones may require the SIM card removed.

It worked for me.  Hopefully it works for others.

@Korth No need for all that. The OP phone runs the latest Android version 9 stock. He can add APNs at will.

@geopublic, @Korth IS the OP in this particular APN thread, and his SKY device has (had) the Android 8.1 APN lock down problem??

@Korth wrote:

The problem is that carriers can push APN settings.  They can flag a bit which forces connected devices to accept their settings.  They can flag another bit which locks these settings (makes them "greyed out" to prevent user editing).  And newer Android versions (7.0, 8.0, 8.1, etc) comply with these lockouts by default.

This makes things easier for consumers who aren't tech savvy, everything automagically configures itself.  It also makes things harder for users who want fully unlocked devices which can work with any carrier (or who want to migrate their devices to other carriers).  And it's basically the new incarnation of old carrier-locked devices - not regulated by the CRTC - disappointing and shameful that Public Mobile follows this practice (when they could instead push APN settings alongside Telus and Koodo).

The solution is hidden in Settings > About Phone.  Click "Android Version/Build Number" seven or eight times - this will display some sort of "Easter Egg" image onscreen while also enabling USB Debugging Mode (for developers).  Then plug the phone into a PC with the USB cable.  Then open an ADB shell and type the command:

am start -a android.intent.action.INSERT content://telephony/carriers --ei simId -1

Then unplug the USB cable and restart the phone.  The carrier-pushed APNs will still be greyed out but the "Add new APN" option will be enabled so you can create a new APN with Public Mobile's settings.  Some phones may require the SIM card present while doing all this, other phones may require the SIM card removed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth 

That was a hang up I had with rooting an older phone I had lying around. Rooting breaks the Play Store.

But isn't there a setting to alllow untrusted/unknown apps to install? The download is an apk. So I should think you could copy it over to the phone and simply run it from there and open the permission.

But what do I know.

I went to Staples and got an Alcatel Android Go Edition and they threw in a Virgin SIM as well. Discovered afterwards that Android Auto doesn't work on the Go Edition so returned it...and the SIM.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Korth wrote:

I have a "SKY_Pro_Selfie_V06" device - a Google phone pre-loaded and pre-configured with tons of bloaty Google junk - I'm using it for a while but I'd prefer to not root or firmware mod the device because it'll be given to my tech-dinosaur parents once my new phone arrives from Alibaba.

Android 8.1.0

Settings > Mobile Network ...

Data roaming > "OFF"

(not set to "ON" because this phone will only be used in BC anyhow)

Network operators > "Public Mobile 3G"

(other options in my area are usually "Bell 3G", "EXT 3G", "EXT 2G")

Preferred network type > "WCDMA/GSM (Predetermined)"

("WCDMA Only" and "GSM Only" are both greyed out)

Access Point Names ...

"Koodo SP" (sp.koodo.com, listed twice)

"TELUS SP" (sp.telus.com)

"TELUS Services" (services.telus.com)

"Telus mobile" (sp.telus.com)

Nothing like "Public Mobile (sp.mb.com)" is listed.  I cannot find any sort of advanced or manual settings, everything is friendly and simplified and automated.  So I cannot properly configure this device to access data.

Does anyone know any way to override the auto-configuration or access hidden settings on these devices?

@Korth  Too bad you gave the virgin sim away. Go on ebay order a roam.com sim card. Once you receive it insert it in your phone and create the sp.mb.com apn power down your phone insert the PM select the correct APN and hopefully data starts working.

@Anonymous 

lol, I'm ahead of you on that app (I looks like there's actually 2 or 3 of them).  Google has configured the device to only install "trusted" apps through the Google Play Store - I can't even sideload them through USB.  So Google Play won't let me install these apps without rooting, and I can't root without breaking Google Play.  It seems they've locked it up pretty tight, you can't do anything outside their system without breaking their system.

I'll try again when in range of different Telus base stations during week, hoping that maybe my local tower just hasn't been configured for PM data users, lol.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth 

Pretty much useless specs on Staples. No mention of this model on Sky Devices' site. WCDMA without HSDPA or UMTS makes me wonder. I dunno. I'm not sure you can do data here with this phone. Let alone the known 8.1 APN problem.

People have had success using different SIM's like Freedom or Roam or Speakout. There is an app available out there that can get into the APN. But it's not a part of the Play Store so one would need to specifically let it run.

@wetcoaster wrote:

I'm not my computer for the links but there are multiple threads about APNs on Android 8.1....

Get a Freedom or Roam Mobility SIM, which will allow you to create a new APN, put the PM values in, save it, restart phone to check that it's there, swap to PM SIM.

Good advice.  Although it looks like many people are reporting their SKY phones carrier-locked the first time they installed a locked SIM.  (This phone actually came with a free Virgin Mobile SIM in the box, which I gave away.)  There seems to be a lot of confusion/misinformation about these devices so I'm a little wary of doing anything to it which can't be undone.

I'm not my computer for the links but there are multiple threads about APNs on Android 8.1....

Get a Freedom or Roam Mobility SIM, which will allow you to create a new APN, put the PM values in, save it, restart phone to check that it's there, swap to PM SIM.

@popping wrote:

Did you purchased your SKY Devices PRO Selfie in Canada?

Do a quick test.

- Enable data

- Do a network reset with your PM SIM card in it

- Restart your phone and test data

Yes, I purchased this phone a few days ago at Staples in Chilliwack, BC.  Something cheap and simple (and unlocked) to give to my parents.

Check For System Updates (on wifi) reports the latest-and-greatest Android updates are all installed.

Data enabled, Reset All Network Settings, Power Off (and Restart).  Followed all the steps here.

Then Select Network Operator (Public Mobile 3G, "Registered on network").  APN settings automatically self-configure with the same options as before, sp.koodo.com (at the top of the list) is selected by default, sp.mb.com is still not on the list.  I can't find any settings to enable/disable Data - it's apparently always active and the user can only enable/disable Data Roaming (I tried both options while testing, with Power Off/Restarts).  The browser is still offline (unless I connect to wifi).

Apparently these phones can be rooted through the standard su exploit but doing so will break Google Play and other things I think my parents would want to use.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Korth 

Did you purchased your SKY Devices PRO Selfie in Canada?

Do a quick test.

- Enable data

- Do a network reset with your PM SIM card in it

- Restart your phone and test data

Need Help? Let's chat.