cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Make/Receive Calls

trandy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I have been dealing with a persistent issue over the past week where I cannot properly make or receive calls on the network. I am able to hear the ring and accept the call (similarly for the person I attempt to call) but there is no sound from either end once the call is picked up. 

I am still able to receive/send text messages and use cellular data normally.

I have attempted to toggle Airplane Mode, disabling/reenabling Mobile Data/Network, and reinserting the SIM card. 

Thank you for your help.

11 REPLIES 11

@trandy wrote:

SOLUTION: 

If you are experiencing a similar issue, consider resetting your Access Point Names (APNs) settings by:

Settings -> Wi-Fi & Internet -> SIM & Network -> SIM # -> Access Point Names -> Tap the triple-dots on the top-right corner -> Reset to default -> Reboot the device

My APN was initially on Public Mobile (sp.mb.com) and was reset to the default Telus SP (sp.telus.com). I am now able to make and receive calls as normal now. 

I hope this helps anyone with a similar issue and a big thanks to everyone who provided me with very helpful suggestions!

As @stonechucker was sayng, doing things with the APN is not the solution.  If you change, delete, or otherwise enter random information for your APN settings, your phone calls would still work.  More likley, a full reset of all network settings made it so that the 3g network was re-enabled which is needed for phone calls.  The only thing that the changes to the APN settings did was to break your data services.  Resetting just your APN settings cannot possibly have made your phone calls work.

There is no way the APN setting fixed this problem.  APN is used for data, not calling.  I'd give you the pass if Public Mobile had either VoLTE or VoWiFI services, but they don't.

trandy

SOLUTION: 

If you are experiencing a similar issue, consider resetting your Access Point Names (APNs) settings by:

Settings -> Wi-Fi & Internet -> SIM & Network -> SIM # -> Access Point Names -> Tap the triple-dots on the top-right corner -> Reset to default -> Reboot the device

My APN was initially on Public Mobile (sp.mb.com) and was reset to the default Telus SP (sp.telus.com). I am now able to make and receive calls as normal now. 

I hope this helps anyone with a similar issue and a big thanks to everyone who provided me with very helpful suggestions!

I'm assuming you're using the phone without bluetooth or minijack/usb3 headphones.

Try plugging in/Bluetooth on the OnePlus device, and see if it's a speaker/mic issue of the device.

@trandy wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions. When I exchange the SIM cards with another phone, the other phone can make calls using my SIM but I still have the issue with another SIM. It must be a hardware issue then and I will inquire with OnePlus regarding it. 

Thanks again.

@trandySounds good, please keep us posted on your findings.

trandy

Thanks for your suggestions. When I exchange the SIM cards with another phone, the other phone can make calls using my SIM but I still have the issue with another SIM. It must be a hardware issue then and I will inquire with OnePlus regarding it. 

Thanks again.

@trandy wrote:

Sorry, I should have specified that I am using a OnePlus 5T. I was always able to make calls using PM on my 5T for a couple years now until this week.

@trandyIf it's not your phone then it sounds like a network issue. You can try the Lost/Stolen trick that in some cases acts as an account soft reset.

To report your phone stolen. Login to your selfserve account. Choose the Plans and Add-ons tab. Then choose Lost/Stolen Phone tab. Choose Suspend Service tab. Wait a few minutes and then report your phone found. Re-start you phone.

If that doesn't work then click here to notify Public Mobile of the issue. The link sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am(Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm(Eastern).

Hope this helps!

kangmlee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Could be an issue with the phone, try testing on another phone.

trandy

Sorry, I should have specified that I am using a OnePlus 5T. I was always able to make calls using PM on my 5T for a couple years now until this week.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@trandy wrote:

Hi,

I have been dealing with a persistent issue over the past week where I cannot properly make or receive calls on the network. I am able to hear the ring and accept the call (similarly for the person I attempt to call) but there is no sound from either end once the call is picked up. 

I am still able to receive/send text messages and use cellular data normally.

I have attempted to toggle Airplane Mode, disabling/reenabling Mobile Data/Network, and reinserting the SIM card. 

Thank you for your help.

@trandyDo you have another phone you can test with to eliminate the possibility of a hardware issue.?

kangmlee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had similar issues in the past, the problem ended being my phone. Are you using a Google Pixel? Many of the first generation Pixels have that issue.

Need Help? Let's chat.