cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Umidigi X - APN settings

10x10x10
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How do I change or add APN settings to my Umidigi X phone? It is Android 9.0. The APN settings are greyed out and there is no "+" sign. I'm unable to send or receive MMS messages or use my data. Can send regular texts and access internet using WiFi, but not with data. Is there an easy way to do it without buying a Roam or Freedom SIM card? 

58 REPLIES 58

@Mcveinot 

You won't lose anything by updating ( well sometimes.....like Samsung eliminated the ability to access the FM radio app in their North American phones but that is uncommon.)

Mcveinot
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I haven't really thought much honestly, but can you update without losing everything? 😬 That would be my concern as most of my past phones were automatically updated.  

@Mcveinot  what you heard about Android 10?  I usually update it.  Other than trying to get the latest, the app compatibility will be better, generally speaking

@Mcveinot 

Silvio can supply the file but if you update to Android10 that is supposed to contain a fix for this issue. Then you don't have to go thru this again if you switched providers....not that you would ever want to leave pm!😁

Mcveinot

I haven't thought of going to android 10 tbh.  I have heard back from Silvio I believe...I will link this thread to him.  Thanks for the suggestion 👍

@Mcveinot 

Link the this thread for the moderator( Edit:...lol I mean CSA) to read. Ask them if Silvio or Carlos is working today they will know what the configuration file is....

You can't update to Android 10?

Mcveinot

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have a ticket in.  I'm on Android 9 and fully updated.  I have a ticket in but couldn't properly explain my problem. 

@Mcveinot 

Yes, Umidigi is an interesting phone in terms of APN setting.  Try what @darlicious suggested about updating the OS and hope you will have data soon.

@Anonymous 

This is a great thread to read through to fully understand the issue the OP is having. It's like an algebra problem. Where you are given the question and the answer but how do you get from X to Z? And Y is so important. Have a read and see if you can figure out why your post is irrevalent to the actual issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mcveinot 

you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and do again Rebooting your phone,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

How to reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  Here link,

and go Changing APN Settings On Android device

click Here link,

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visit Here link,

Select the brand and model of your phone, After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.

@Mcveinot 

Are you using Android 8 or 9? Do you have a software update available to you? If so updating your OS will solve the issue.  If not do you have access to a freedom sim card? If not that you can contact customer support and ask if they can text you a configuration file for your APN.

Mcveinot

I wish I'd read this earlier, lol!!  I have umidigi x, it said compatible so I signed up because of the data.  Now I can't data to work and I've tried everything...guess I'll be getting a new phone sooner than later 🙄

Mattanza

The command am start the doesn't work.

You know how to write correctly the command? 

Thanks for your help

@fcandia wrote:

I just purchased an Umidigi X phone. I can confirm that the instructions for adding APNs through ADB shell command does not work. However, I did have a Freedom Sim Card which I popped into the phone and that allowed me to add new APNs. After adding the APN for Public Mobile with the Freedom Sim Card still inserted, you will not see it even after clicking the "save" option. However, as soon as you insert the Public Mobile SIM card it will show the APN that you previously saved. My data is working flawlessly.

@mehrafsa  Hopefully this will also work for your situation.

fcandia

I just purchased an Umidigi X phone. I can confirm that the instructions for adding APNs through ADB shell command does not work. However, I did have a Freedom Sim Card which I popped into the phone and that allowed me to add new APNs. After adding the APN for Public Mobile with the Freedom Sim Card still inserted, you will not see it even after clicking the "save" option. However, as soon as you insert the Public Mobile SIM card it will show the APN that you previously saved. My data is working flawlessly.

This situation is all kinds of messed up - between the phone manufacturer, and the version of Android they install, something like this, that's an everyday kind of use-case scenario for a current cell phone, SHOULD NOT be such an issue! 🤬 

mehrafsa

@gblackma, @geopublic Already too many people reached out to the manufacturer and this is partly carrier and partly manufacterer problem. So far looks like there is no collaboration between companies to solve the problem. They might have disabled APN lock feature in their new android 10 but not this.

mehrafsa

@geopublicNo, unfortunately, there is no add option with data-enabled or disabled.

@mehrafsa  One last thing to try. Insert the PM sim card. Go into your settings and turn data off. Once Mobile data is turned off go into the APN settings. Does the + sign appear?

@mehrafsa wrote:

@geopublic 

Thanks for the suggestion. I am able to save and I did that before. but with this version, it is like that whenever you eject the SIMs slot the phone gets automatically locks and when you unlock based on SIM card (or no sim) it shows relevant APN to that. Say you have two Mobility SIM and you save a different APN for each, So based on the SIM  you insert it shows the APN you saved for that SIM and you can't use other SIM's APN. Since PM APN has lock bits and you can't use any other APN configured for PM this won't work. This is the way I stuck. I almost tried all the available solutions in the internet none of them worked. hopefully in the future the phone upgrades it's a firmware or the carrier changes its policy regarding the lock bits.

@mehrafsa  I just finished setting up an Umidigi F2. It runs Android 10. When I inserted the PM sim card it assigned the Telus APN. When I took a look at the settings all the settings were correct so I only changed APN: from sp.telus.com  to sp.mb.com and saved it. Once I did that the 4G icon popped up and data is lightning fast so I just left it like that. Make sure  that the preferred Network Type is set to 4G. 

Not sure why the X is so different but maybe worthwhile posting in their product forum and make a request to see if anything can be done.

@CannonFodder  Yes I wouldn't buy the X. A5pro all day! Only disappointment is the camera in low light.

@gblackma wrote:

Why don't you contact umidigi the manufacturer directly and ask them about your problem? They may be able to help you. Please update us on the results, if any.

Yeah, @mehrafsa  , I'd be interested to see what you find out, since the thought of trying a Umidigi phone has crossed my mind on more than one occasion.

Why don't you contact umidigi the manufacturer directly and ask them about your problem? They may be able to help you. Please update us on the results, if any. Thanks.

@mehrafsa wrote:

@geopublic 

Thanks for the suggestion. I am able to save and I did that before. but with this version, it is like that whenever you eject the SIMs slot the phone gets automatically locks and when you unlock based on SIM card (or no sim) it shows relevant APN to that. Say you have two Mobility SIM and you save a different APN for each, So based on the SIM  you insert it shows the APN you saved for that SIM and you can't use other SIM's APN. Since PM APN has lock bits and you can't use any other APN configured for PM this won't work. This is the way I stuck. I almost tried all the available solutions in the internet none of them worked. hopefully in the future the phone upgrades it's a firmware or the carrier changes its policy regarding the lock bits.

mehrafsa

@geopublic 

@mehrafsa  When you add the APN does it allow you to save your entry? (Select the 3 dots and select save).

I guess you can always restore the original device version using the flash utility provided by Umidigi.

Not sure why that model is giving you such a hard time. I've used a F1, A5 Pro and a F2 without any issues.

mehrafsa

Last update for Umidigi X with the latest android 9 and AUG update.
None of the solutions work (SIM swap, forcing with developer mode, or mods pushing APN) and after contacting Mods and exchanging about 15 messages with them. They could n't find a solution for this.

mehrafsa

@geopublic  Thanks this also did n't help, I contacted the support lets see if they could do sth about it.

mehrafsa

@Anonymouswell if there is no sim inserted you don't have access to mobile network menu at all (there is no way)  but entering the ADB shell command or clicking the add APN in the app results immediately in the dialog that shows all APN settings blank and grayed out (with SIM or no SIM inserted)

@mehrafsa  One last thing you might want to try.

https://youtu.be/dbnfB2guBhA

@mehrafsa  Sorry I didn't realize you hadn't tried support from pm for your APN issue. At least another avenue for a possible solution and the tech avenger team still have their brains ticking over possible fixes....in the end whatever the result you know you have a great community for support.

Need Help? Let's chat.