cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Umidigi F1

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

I'm considering purchasing this phone on Amazon.ca for $181.....whats your opinion or experience with this phone? Most interested in the camera and it's performance. Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21

@carlaspapa 

Happy to help....enjoy your new phone! Report back on what you think of the camera id be interested in your thoughts.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@carlaspapa wrote:

It is a nice phone especially compared to my Samsung Core which is so old it won't even download apps anymore. So i  splurged and I got this phone the F1 and I just open the box I'm excited it's my first new phone in 8 years.  I'm probably going to need some help in a bit to figure out how the whole thing works! Thanks darlicious for turning me on to this deal!

Yes, Samsung Galaxy Core LTE is old.  I got it from Zoomer Wireless back in 2014.  It was released in 2013.

@carlaspapa wrote:

It is a nice phone especially compared to my Samsung Core which is so old it won't even download apps anymore. So i  splurged and I got this phone the F1 and I just open the box I'm excited it's my first new phone in 8 years.  I'm probably going to need some help in a bit to figure out how the whole thing works! Thanks darlicious for turning me on to this deal!

Enjoy the new toy!  

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

rliu1993
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

nice phone

Optical image stabilization is a game changer.  It allows use of a slower shutter speed which makes low light shots possible. 

@will13am 

Thank you for the explanation. That led me to do a comparison between the A51 and my A3 model 9. I have to say I'm impressed with how well my phone (camera) stands up given its age. The A51 has way more megapixels which is a given with multi lens but doesn't always mean it's better unless I was expecting to use it in a professional sense. The A51 does have a couple of bells and whistles but other than the BSI which would be nice because night photography can be hit and miss but would I trade it for the optical image stabilization? Probably not. The used phone value is almost equal so value wise for a 3 year old phone the A3 is superior. I just recieved a software update today so we'll see if that makes a difference with the issues ive been having lately.

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am 

Can you explain the difference between  2 camera array and 4? Their function?

Not being a photographer, it is not something I study in depth on a phone.  My high level understanding of using multiple cameras is to overcome the issue of phone cameras not having the ability to change lenses like you can with SLR and mirrorless cameras.  So, you put in several cameras each with a special purpose that has a comparable effect to swapping lenses.  In a 4 camera array, there is a high megapixel main, depth, ultra wide angle and macro cameras.  Depending on the shot you are trying to take, the camera software will attempt to deploy the right camera to optimize the photo.  From my limited experience with multi camera phones, performance is a combination of hardware and software with the latter actually being able to compensate for hardware limitations.  Gcam software is probably the best out there for extracting the maximum out of the hardware.  The umidigi A5 pro was hampered by bad software and mediocre hardware.  The F2 improves on both.  Are they a replacement for the real camera, hardly.  Is it pretty good, I would say so. 

If you don't mind spending a few more bucks, I would suggest getting the Samsung A51.  I am generally not a fan of Samsung phones because their software support is bad and they tend to be overpriced.  I have to say the A line bridges the gap on pricing.  I have a friend who has the A50 which is an earlier model.  The camera performance is really good.  The amoled screen is exception.  Anyway, the A51 is selling for $400 on Swifttronics.

https://swiftronics.ca/collections/smartphones/products/samsung-galaxy-a51-4gb-ram-64gb-factory-unlo...

They are sold out on the open box edition which is heavily discounted.  You could call them and see if you could put in an order for one if it comes back in stock.

https://swiftronics.ca/collections/open-box-sale/products/open-box-samsung-galaxy-a51-4gb-ram-128gb-...

Samsung is selling it for $479.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/smartphones/galaxy-a51-a515/

@will13am 

Can you explain the difference between  2 camera array and 4? Their function?

@darlicious , the F1 only has a 2 camera array, not 4 found on the F2.  As a matter of principle, I won't pay full price for old tech.  New hardware is always better than old hardware.  

It was crossways in my front  pocket @darlicious. With case and screen protection.  The sucker cracked under the screen protector.  Live and learn. Use some of your $70 to buy a leather case and screen protection. 👍

@popping 

I was extremely unhappy with the A5 pro's camera for my needs. Of course @will13am and I have very different expectations from a cameras performance.

@gblackma 

Interesting that you cracked the screen so easily....with the case and screen protector? The bf chipped the screen of the A5 pro, then dropped it without the case and really cracked the screen. Luckily he just plain lost it a month later and I made a claim. Here's my dilemma....i have $70 in Amazon e-gift cards but I would have to purchase the entire phone on my credit card to get the device protection insurance. Otherwise I never order anything from Amazon.......

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I would recommend against buying the umidigi F1.  Shortly, the phone will be 2 years old and the F3 will be coming to market.  I am sure there will be a sale on the F3 in November.  As for the F2, I am quite happy with the hardware, especially given the price I paid.  I might pick up an F3.  

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

F1 is old F2 is much better.

@darlicious I noticed that too, there cameras seem to be less than in so called comparible phones. But as I said as long as it works for me when i need it. Alls good. 

popping

@darlicious wrote:

@gblackma 

I know @will13am  has the F2 and was impressed with its performance but I know umidigi has some serious issues with its camera firmware and this is one of my main concerns. I would be using it primarily for the convenience of having a "slim" camera that happens to work as a phone.

I don't need to buy a real camera....i have plenty of those I just want the convenience and my Samsung galaxy A3 is getting a little old and I'm having a few camera issues.

IIRC, @will13am is happy with the F2 including the camera.  But he is not happy with the A5 Pro camera.

popping

@darlicious 

For $181, don't compare this mid range phone against flagship phone.

F1 has a faster CPU and bigger battery than the A5 pro or the new A7 pro.

F2 was out November 2019.  Between F1 and F2, there is a F1 Play.  F1 is at least 2 generation older in the F series line. F1 is running on Android 9.

@gblackma 

I know @will13am  has the F2 and was impressed with its performance but I know umidigi has some serious issues with its camera firmware and this is one of my main concerns. I would be using it primarily for the convenience of having a "slim" camera that happens to work as a phone.

I don't need to buy a real camera....i have plenty of those I just want the convenience and my Samsung galaxy A3 is getting a little old and I'm having a few camera issues.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

In my opinion, especially for that price its a good phone. @darlicious . It works great. I can't comment on the camera. I'm not that into taking pictures. The only thing  that I can say is that it works whenever I had to take one. And I managed to crack my screen when i squatted down to look for something  with it in my pocket. Stay safe.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

I think @gblackma has one🤔

Need Help? Let's chat.