cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Umidigi F1 Play: PM network compatibility

vince90ca
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Dear All,

I am currently shopping for a new phone to replace my Moto E2. I seriously consider the UMIDIGI F1 Play Unlocked International version (https://www.umidigi.com/page-umidigi_f1play_specification.html), which according to some tech websites, is supposed to be the "2019 Flagship Killer" due to its excellent specs for 199.99 USD (including a AndroidAuthority coupon currently available).

The purpose of my post is to make sure this phone is compatible and will allow me to enjoy at 100% the Public Mobile network. Here are the specifications of this phone, including its frequency bands:

4G network

Both SIM slots are compatible with 4G, support 4G VoLTE in both slots simultaneously.

2G: GSM 2 /3 /5 /8

2G: CDMA1X BC0,BC1

3G: EVDO BC0,BC1

3G: WCDMA 1 /2 /4 /5 /6 /8 /19

3G: TD-SCDMA 34 /39

4G: TDD-LTE 34 /38 /39 /40 /41

4G: FDD-LTE 1 /2 /3 /4 /5 /7 /8 /12 /13 /17 /18 /19 /20 /25 /26 /28A /28B

I tried to check unsuccessfully on the PM Community (but there is no info on the official spectrum of PM frequencies), with the site "Frequency Check" (https://www.frequencycheck.com/carriers / public-mobile-canada) and "WillMyPhoneWork.net" (phone model missing).

According to Frequency Check website self frequency bands comparison, the phone would work, but I would like advises about how can I confirm that it will really work, so I'm not buying issues and troubles...

Any advises about how to confirm this phone is compatible and will allow me to enjoy at 100% the Public Mobile network would be appreciated?

Thank you in advance for your help.

10 REPLIES 10

@kelvarnsen wrote:

I don't have the play but the regular F1. Bought it from Amazon and so far after 2 and a half weeks I am super happy. Love that it came with a case and screen protector.

My son also has the F1 for just over 9 months now and he is very happy with it.

vince90ca

Well, the issue is definitively not from AliExpress. I only got refund thanks to AliExpress policy.

I reiterate what I said in my previous post that UMIDIGI both manufacturer AND Umidigi Official Store (manufacturer store on AliExpress) should not be trusted:

- Overall device quality and sound quality during a call is really bad (much worst than a MOTO E2)... definitively not the same quality standard expected in America. This is not a question of defective product or not;

- horrible customer service does not depend of AliExpress (which is an equivalent sale intermediate platform as Amazon) but from manufacturer and their official store (BTW AliExpress customer service is correct);

- Umidigi Official Store policy on AliExpress statement of a "7 days no reason to return and refund" is a total scam. They NEVER refund after you have sent back the device. Fortunately, AliExpress refund me because they recognized the Umidigi Official Store fault, as Amazon would have done!

I was not far from to have lost both the device cost (260$) and the return shipping to China (90$). Finally, I lost 90$ instead of 350$, thanks to AliExpress. What Umidigi (both manufacturer and store) is doing is totally illegal and should not be encouraged.

Hope other members of PM community will learned of this situation and beware.

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't have the play but the regular F1. Bought it from Amazon and so far after 2 and a half weeks I am super happy. Love that it came with a case and screen protector.

smannen

I think your issue is more with Aliexpress, as is most things Canadians purchase from there, than it is with Umidigi. You may have received a defective device, from any supplier, just as much as you could with any brand of phone.

I recommend buying Umidigi products from Umidigi Official store on amazon.ca. You get amazons guarantee and better support.

vince90ca

I've got that issue too when I ordered the Umidigi F1 Play. To fix the issue, you need to change the APN setting of your phone by following the step by step APN configuration as described in the PM link below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-set-up-data-APN-on-my-smartp...

However, I strongly advise you to reconsider to buy a UMIDIGI phone from UMIDIGI official store on AliExpress. I bought UMIDIGI F1 Play and when I received the phone and try it, the sound quality at the earphone during a phone call / conversation was so bad and the overall quality was low (much worst than a MOTO E2). The last straw was their HORRIBLE customer service (no reply to mails, no phone number, unprofessional replies, etc.). Although the Umidigi Official Store policy on AliExpress has a "7 days no reason to return and refund", I have returned the phone to China which cost me about 90.00$. According to the Canada Post tracking, parcel has been successfully delivered to the specified return address in China. However, Umidigi official store stop replying to me and never refund me.One month later, still no refund.

Finally, I got my cash back only by opening a claim with AliExpress against Umidigi Official store. Sometimes, when you want to save money, it cost you more. UMIDIGI phones are the perfect example!

Conclusion: DO NOT BUY UMIDIGI phone because it is very low overall quality that will last about 1 year, 1 year of bad quality phone conversation... (260$ on AliExpress that last about 12 months). Instead, buy a good mid-range like Samsung Galaxy A50 that cost about 400$, but will last 24-36 months and is much much better overall quality (phone call, processor, AMOLED screen, etc. ). This what I did and I do not regret it. This is my lesson's learned!

smannen

Maybe consider Umidigi S3 Pro. I bought it yesterday on amazon.ca for $280 during a lightning deal. Reviewers said it works on PM. Also consider the F2 is coming out in a few days with android 10 and much better specs than F1. F2 has band 66 and I think that's a first for Umidigi but I could be wrong.

@vince90ca wrote:

The purpose of my post is to make sure this phone is compatible and will allow me to enjoy at 100% the Public Mobile network. Here are the specifications of this phone, including its frequency bands:

4G network

Both SIM slots are compatible with 4G, support 4G VoLTE in both slots simultaneously.

2G: GSM 2 /3 /5 /8

2G: CDMA1X BC0,BC1

3G: EVDO BC0,BC1

3G: WCDMA 1 /2 /4 /5 /6 /8 /19

3G: TD-SCDMA 34 /39

4G: TDD-LTE 34 /38 /39 /40 /41

4G: FDD-LTE 1 /2 /3 /4 /5 /7 /8 /12 /13 /17 /18 /19 /20 /25 /26 /28A /28B

If the part in blue is correct, this phone is compatible. Be careful it there is more than one version of this model. Also,  for some phones of this brand, people had some difficulties adding the Public Mobile APN settings.

@Nicolodian These are the Public Mobile APN settings you need:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one.

Nicolodian
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

First time here.  Im looking at this phone to.  Can you tell me what PM's Access Point Name data is please? 

Davicof
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am connected to PM 4G with this phone.   My talk and text worked only on 3g with no data when I first tied my sim, but I found the fix was to manually enter PM's Access Point Name data.  Now I have fast data on 4g.

Need Help? Let's chat.