cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Umidigi A3 Pro data problem

deepg82
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello!

I just bought an Umidigi A3 Pro to replace my broken phone. It works great except data. The WI-FI works fine but I have no idea why the data doesn't work. I know I have data because I checked my account online.

I saw a similar post on this site. It suggested changing the APN using a Freedom Mobile SIM. I don't have access to one, so is there another way? How do I access the APN settings?

Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16

@avecchio946  Try a US prepaid sim card as it should allow you to add APN settings.

@avecchio946could you please post your apn setting so that we could have a look at them? Thanks.

avecchio946
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Having same problem with my A3Pro phone. Can,t use freedom mobile as i live in US. Any other Company sim cards with US carriers which would work. Also Once i put in a sim card that allows a fix APN, can i then remove sim and install my old company sim card without it changing the APN back to the unworkable configuration?

@Cabbagetown wrote:

Hiya! 

I cannot change the APN settings but am still able to access data and voice with default settings. However, I can only call in 3G.  Would I still need to swap SIMs on my A3 Pro to get 4G calling or is this the limitation of this phone?

Public Mobile only allows calls on the "3g" network.

Cabbagetown
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hiya! 

I cannot change the APN settings but am still able to access data and voice with default settings. However, I can only call in 3G.  Would I still need to swap SIMs on my A3 Pro to get 4G calling or is this the limitation of this phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@deepg82 wrote:

I finally got around to trying to fix this data thing. I went to Walmart to pick up a Freedom Mobile SIM. The guy helping me was puzzled as to why I needed a Freedom Mobile SIM. Long story short, he called another associate, and my data works now! All that assosiate did was turn the mobile data on.

I think I was trying to do that at home, while I had WI-FI.. That's why I thought the data wasn't working.

All the APN settings came automatically.

Nope. Not too tech savvy. 🙂

Glad you got it going and thanks for the update.

deepg82

I finally got around to trying to fix this data thing. I went to Walmart to pick up a Freedom Mobile SIM. The guy helping me was puzzled as to why I needed a Freedom Mobile SIM. Long story short, he called another associate, and my data works now! All that assosiate did was turn the mobile data on.

I think I was trying to do that at home, while I had WI-FI.. That's why I thought the data wasn't working.

All the APN settings came automatically.

deepg82

Thanks for all the help. I'll try the Freedom Mobile SIN. I'm not too tech savy so I don't want to try the costom ROM!

@computergeek541 wrote:

@deepg82 wrote:

Hello!

I just bought an Umidigi A3 Pro to replace my broken phone. It works great except data. The WI-FI works fine but I have no idea why the data doesn't work. I know I have data because I checked my account online.

I saw a similar post on this site. It suggested changing the APN using a Freedom Mobile SIM. I don't have access to one, so is there another way? How do I access the APN settings?

Thanks.

As you know, the problem with this phone is with not being to add or change APN settings.  Aside from getting another carrier's sim card for which APN changes are allowed,  I would sat the other options would be to try some of the command line prompts (I don't have them memorized) or to install custom ROM.

+1 on the custom rom.  It seems like this phone is well looked after.

https://www.getdroidtips.com/custom-rom-umidigi-a3/

@deepg82 wrote:

Hello!

Thanks.

As you know, the problem with this phone is with not being to add or change APN settings.  Aside from getting another carrier's sim card for which APN changes are allowed,  I would sat the other options would be to try some of the command line prompts (I don't have them memorized) or to install custom ROM.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@deepg82 What version of Android are you running on that phone 8.1 or 9?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

If a Freedom SIM card is needed to support the APN editing, just pop by a store.  I am sure they have lots of used SIMs kicking around.  

deepg82

Thank you! I'll try it.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@deepg82 wrote:

Hello!

Thanks.

@deepg82  Umidigi phones do not auto set APN settings for Public Mobile they always create s Telus APN so you need to add it manually before the data will work.

These are the Public Mobile APN settings you need:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@deepg82 Check the frequencies your phone can use, it may not be compatible. Public Mobile works on these frequencies:
For 3G use (UMTS/HSPA): 850MHz/1900MHz bands
For 4G/LTE use: 1700MHz/2100MHz bands and 700 MHz band
GSM phones are not supported

To change APN settings go to Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign), they should look like:
Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F
Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one.
Need Help? Let's chat.