cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ulefone Armor 6 APN issue

zsofin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My new phone will not allow me to edit the APN settings once I insert a Public Mobile SIM card. I can call/text but not data. I tried inserting a Freedom Mobile SIM which allowed me to enter a new APN, however, when I tried to save, the new information disappeared. Android 8.1 seems to have locked my SIM card. I tried a different SIM from a friend and everything worked. Could this be PM specific? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13

dboxtvinfo715
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So I have to order freedom SIM.?

@BenmobillIf you are not technical just go to your neighbourhood cellphone shop.. explain what needed to be done and pay for the service. Basically the first link from a Google search. Most stores that repairs cellphones will have the tools and know how to do it. They might even upgrade your phone to the latest OS.

Benmobill
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

5 lines of code???? Talking about adb??  And about the apps.... suggestions?  Ideally not rooted.... thanks. Good night for now. Back tomorrow.

Benmobill

Do appreciate feedback, but doesn't concretely help me much. Will try to google adb command and see what I'm able to do with this.. Not a computer geek.... need simple and easy solutions and steps to get there. Thanks and goodnight for now. Back tomorrow.

@Benmobill unfortunately it could involve rooting.. there are also a myriad of apps that would do the same thing, but I find typing 5 lines of code less invasive on privacy. You often do end up paying somehow for a cheaper phone with less support.

Benmobill

What is adb command????  Not a rooting thing I hope.

@Benmobillyou can add / override APN if you connect your phone to any computer and use the adb command among many other ways.

No one stores APN on the SIM Cards. What happens is the OS pulls the latest APN from the SIM card's carrier's servers. It is out of Public Mobile's scope of service as it is a bug in Android. In fact if you read the Terms of Service, as a customer we are obligated to make use our devices work and PM has a right to cut off service.

Benmobill

Problem solved????  I did exactly that with a Telus sim card and nothing changed. Still can't edit APN. Everything's locked.  Funny because did a bit of research and found it's an Android 8.1 issue. No problems with previous version of Android, but now, with Android 8.1,

APN MUST BE ON SIM CARD so it is automaticaly detected and set. Got Koodo and telus as service provider in setup but not PM. PM has to put it's APN settings on it's SIM cards. Or else, as in my case, phone works, but no access to the data. Hope someone reads this and get the message up to the direction of PM so that it gets fixed and make everyone happy. 

BFisher

I just wanted to add to your message in case other people like me are searching for this solution but for an Ulefone Armor 3.

Having both a Freedom and PM SIM card in at the same time did not work, neither card had the Add APN option but when I reset the phone with only the Freedom SIM I was able to add the APN settings then remove and replace the Freedom SIM with the PM SIM and found the PM settings in the list after restarting.

When I went in after to look at the APN settings I made I noticed a small entry error and was able to fix it but not save it so just switched tabs and then closed the settings tab and it saved the change.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GinYVR wrote:

@zsofinI would think it is a software issue with your phone. Do you have another Public Mobile SIM to test?

It's a known issue with 8.1 and some providers. Unfortunately, this place is one of some.

zsofin

@water_marked posted a solution to the issue which worked, so I guess this wasnt a software problem. Im not sure why this was a problem in the first place and hope nobody else runs into this problem. 

@GinYVR wrote:

@zsofinI would think it is a software issue with your phone. Do you have another Public Mobile SIM to test?

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

water_marked

Recently dealt with an issue related to Android 8.1 and the inability to add an APN on a Ulefone Armor 6.  After many reviews within the community, we were able to come up with this fix.

1. Find a SIM that allows for an APN addition (Freedom worked for us; others have mentioned ROAM).

2. For dual SIM phones, insert Freedom SIM into the primary slot and PM SIM in the secondary slot.

3. Go to Network & Internet -> SIM cards -> Select PM SIM for mobile data.

4. Go to Network & Internet -> Mobile network settings -> Access point names -> Add APN 

*This option only becomes available while the Freedom/ROAM SIM is in the phone.

5. Add the APN Setting information

APN:     sp.mb.com

MMSC:     http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS Proxy:     74.49.0.18

MMS Proxy Post: 80

MMC:     302

MNC:     220

When trying to add an APN by using only the Freedom SIM we ran into problems. When the MNC was updated; the APN, which would save previously, would be lost (not sure why).  Once the PM SIM was selected for data, there was no need to update the MNC as both MMC and MNC were already populated with the correct information.

Best of Luck.

Need Help? Let's chat.