Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
will13am
Oracle

Re: Tutorial: enabling eSIM on Public Mobile

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

We are talking about a tier 3 service which means laggard by design.  You have seen my opinion on how Telus purposely drags the adoption of technology so that they can find ways to monetize the foot dragging.  Given how it is being rolled out right now, I don't care to take part.  In the past week, I moved my PM SIM back and forth between 3 phone countless times.  If this was an e-SIM, I would have to pay a $20 Telus tax for each movement.  I am totally uninterested in paying that tax.  If this is how e-SIM will roll out, they can hold it back forever.  

@will13am here's the thing:  it doesn't really matter if you are interested in paying for your eSIMs.  I know that Telus holds back PM, but the difference is that, IMHO, in the not-too-distant-future, eSIMs will not be optional to offer if Telus want customers to be able to continue/start using PM's mobile services. This isn't an optional enhancement like VoLTE, VoWiFi, international roaming, etc; if you buy a new phone that only has eSIM and PM can't give/sell you one, you can't use their services.  I'm not sure how that's in their favour.

Why do you say that I think it's in their favor to foot drag the roll out of technology?  I am critical of them for doing that.  I am also critical that they try to make money out of the foot dragging.  At the same time I am saying if that is how they wish to play the game, I am not interested in paying more.  I will go without.  I won't be the first to get an e-SIM only phone.  

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@will13am wrote:

Why do you say that I think it's in their favor to foot drag the roll out of technology?  I am critical of them for doing that.  I am also critical that they try to make money out of the foot dragging.  At the same time I am saying if that is how they wish to play the game, I am not interested in paying more.  I will go without.  I won't be the first to get an e-SIM only phone.  

+1 Smiley Happy

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Probably when physical SIMs completely disappear.  Taking an eternity to happen is like never happening.  How long has it been since VoLTE came out?  Can you tell if we are any closer to having access to it?  

@will13am VoLTE is completely different:  until the UMTS network goes away, you can still call without using VoLTE; VoLTE is optional still.  If/when phones start shipping with only eSIM, eSIM support is no longer optional if you want customers with those phones to use your service! Without a physical SIM slot (or two), there's no fallback option like there is for regular 3G calling without VoLTE support.  These are apples and oranges.

I would need to go and dig in the old posts, but I seem to recall that there are now new parts of the Bell / Telus network (specially in rural Atlantic Canada IIRC) that are served by LTE hardware only, without 3G fall back. Also, and again I don't have supporting information on my fingertips right now, there seems to be a trend to repurpose 3G band width for B2 and B5  LTE. So for some people VoLTE is not just a nice-to-have feature but a crucial part of their connectivity and Public Mobile is off their list of providers.

If this is actually the case I'd argue that the pressure for PM to offer VoLTE rather sooner than later would be higher.

dosanj
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hope soon

DonForgo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Knowing how the Telecom companies work, they'll gladly let Public Mobile's user base switch to the higher pricing brands because the reception or reliability has lowered. 

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@DonForgo wrote:

Knowing how the Telecom companies work, they'll gladly let Public Mobile's user base switch to the higher pricing brands because the reception or reliability has lowered. 

They can only go so far. If it it gets really bad, users will swtich to another company that isn't Koodo or Telus.

Need Help? Let's chat.