cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to set up a phone for my brother he'computer illiterate

PEH
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Looks like Samsung Galaxy Core Lte must be locked.

Set up the account got all that done but after activation nothing happened. Public mobile sim card is installed.

How to unlock it? Is that what's missing?

13 REPLIES 13

@darlicious wrote

@computergeek541  Thanks I'm a little groggy this morning I was up early for the telus guy to replace the modem. Couldn't quite remember about the pin code...but used for 611 correct? As well as account.

Yes, the account PIN is used for *611.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@PEH   The pin is to set up voicemail and access your self serve account. Write it down with your password and security question/answer and put it somewhere safe. You know like the important stuff drawer. That way if you forget them you have back up.

The PIN texted to the customer is only for the Punlic Mobile account. It is not related to the voicemail password. While the customer can choose for them both to be the same, the customer is asked to choose a voicemail password during setup.

@computergeek541  Thanks I'm a little groggy this morning I was up early for the telus guy to replace the modem. Couldn't quite remember about the pin code...but used for 611 correct? As well as account.

@PEH  Good all up and running. There's a couple of helpful blurbs on the Samsung site about that models battery charging, touch screen and setting up a Google account for it. Just search the model number. Happy to help.

PEH

Got the problem solved thanks.tips from the community did help, but anyhow turns out that its the phone maybe the sim card would not lock into place, it kept poping out just a little 1/8 inch, but seemed to be enought not to recognise the sim card, so I had to make a home modification to wedge in the sim card tightly and taped it over with some scotch tape. Phone and messages now working. If the problem re-occures I'll just apply more scotch tape.

Problem solved thanks for your time.

@darlicious wrote:

@PEH   The pin is to set up voicemail and access your self serve account. Write it down with your password and security question/answer and put it somewhere safe. You know like the important stuff drawer. That way if you forget them you have back up.

The PIN texted to the customer is only for the Punlic Mobile account. It is not related to the voicemail password. While the customer can choose for them both to be the same, the customer is asked to choose a voicemail password during setup.

@PEH wrote:
phone # selected just before we clicked on the Activation button.
Samsung Galaxy Lte SM G386W.. Phone kept showing no SIM card installed, seems that as i pushed in the sim into its slot it just keeps poping out,won't lock in place,anyhow I tried pushing the sim in all the way with a finger nail and holding it there while i stick in the battery, anyhow now I start it up and i received 2 messages form 611 with pin #'s What do I do with those? the phone still does not work, says I'm not registered? Where do I do that"  While I figure out how to jam that sim card in tightly.

@PEH  There is the 12 year old boys suggestion of a little tape to keep the SIM in tight. Just don't let it overlap on the contact side.

PEH
phone # selected just before we clicked on the Activation button.
Samsung Galaxy Lte SM G386W.. Phone kept showing no SIM card installed, seems that as i pushed in the sim into its slot it just keeps poping out,won't lock in place,anyhow I tried pushing the sim in all the way with a finger nail and holding it there while i stick in the battery, anyhow now I start it up and i received 2 messages form 611 with pin #'s What do I do with those? the phone still does not work, says I'm not registered? Where do I do that"  While I figure out how to jam that sim card in tightly.

BSR
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This happened to me also setting up my husbands phone. Im assuming that samsung was not   compatable for public mobile. I know before I switched to public mobile I checked to see if my Huawei phone was compatable.

@PEH  Did you port in a number or choose a new one?  Do you have any service at all? Welcome email or text? Reboot phone? Tried SIM card in another phone?

@PEH wrote:

Looks like Samsung Galaxy Core Lte must be locked.

Set up the account got all that done but after activation nothing happened. Public mobile sim card is installed.

How to unlock it? Is that what's missing?

What makes you think that the phone isn't unlocked? When a phone is locked to a different carrier, it will display a very specific message when the phone is turned on with a sim card in it.  It will prompt for either a SIM Network Unlock PIN or SIM Network Unlock PUK.  If it isn't asking for either of those, the phone is already unlocked.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@PEH  
If your phone is a Samsung you might be able to get an unlock code from the Samsung website via a chat
To start a live chat session from Samsung's Contact Us page: http://www.samsung.com/ca/info/contactus.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170.

Hope this helps!

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@PEHYou can go to samsung.ca support to chat you can retrieve the code that way.

Need Help? Let's chat.