cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to change APN settings

Fisher77
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a Samsung A8 (2018).  I don't have data on my plan.  I searched through the forum and set up a new APN for MMS only in the hopes of removing the nag notification to sign into network.

The settings are correct as found many times in these forums.  The problem is I cannot select the new APN setting.  I'm not sure if this is a Samsung problem or a Public Mobile problem.  Incidentally, before I even attempted this, the blue circle beside the PM network was off.  I turned it on, now can't turn it off again or choose the MMS setting I made.

Any help would be appreciated.  Here's the screenshot.  All I can do is edit the MMS setting.  I cannot select it.

Screenshot.jpg

9 REPLIES 9

Master2000
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You should use default “Mobile Internet” APN and leave data on, MMS need data to work.
Your plan don’t have data but MMS will use data (for free).

Even if you plan have data, data use by MMS if free and don’t count toward your plan.

Fisher77

So, I'm getting somewhere with this but still haven't been able to configure the apn for MMS only.

I'm posting some screens to show what I mean.  If I reset to default, I can not edit any of the apn info on the default PM apn.  All options are greyed out.  When I add another apn, it ONLY works if I choose MMS + Internet.  Then I can select it.  Good so far.  However, if I then edit that apn to be only MMS, it can no longer be selected!

Truly, driving me nuts...   Smiley Mad

Screenshot1.jpgScreenshot2.jpgScreenshot3.jpg

JLO41
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just checked my APN settings and they match 1 Bravo exactly. Mine were set

for me by a very helpful cell phone staffer in the store..My phone is a Galaxy S5

@Fisher77 wrote:

The first one can't be edited.  That is locked by PM.

That's why I was creating a new one.  It's mentioned many times on these forums.  I'm starting to think this is all locked by PM.

@Fisher77  PM does not lock APN s. Remove your sim power up your device and see if you can delete it.

Fisher77

The first one can't be edited.  That is locked by PM.

That's why I was creating a new one.  It's mentioned many times on these forums.  I'm starting to think this is all locked by PM.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Fisher77   no reason to have two APN remove the second one and edit the first one so that the APN Type is default,mms.

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You have selected the right APN.  It is sp.mb.com.  By chance did you use up all your data?  Try using the help pages to search for a possible solution, it seems to be pretty good. 

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

I think if you create a new one using add it will take the place of the other one.

These are mine:

Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F 

DL888
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am not too familiar with Android but this may help: https://tamingthedroid.com/what-do-apn-settings-appear-disabled

Need Help? Let's chat.