cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble getting anwsers

mcgdotcom
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anyone having trouble getting any response from mods?  I posted my responses and have received no feedback or answers.  How do we go about refunds for funds spent on new accounts as the phone is good to go basd on bands used and it will not connect.

20 REPLIES 20

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mcgdotcom wrote:

I believe there was and now functional, wow took a while and atleast its functional.

Great to hear. Welcome to PMSmiley Happy

mcgdotcom

I believe there was and now functional, wow took a while and atleast its functional.

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mcgdotcom wrote:

I agree, but it doesn't explain why the mods are absent from the converation.  I will know more tomorrow and any help for getting a refund which was in the original post would be helpful.

As for refunds, you'll have to ask the moderation team via private message to see if they'll refund you, but I hope you'll stay with Public after all this is fixed because going to another company and paying higher prices for monthly plans will just encourage the other companies to keep prices high - instead of encouraging more people to support lower prices at Public, which if more people switch it will force other companies to lower their prices too.

I had activation problems too, and it was fustrating waiting, but it was well worth the wait to get away from the higher prices at other companies - here is my post when I activated:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Activated-Sim-over-3-hours-ago-still-...

@sandpublic wrote:

@mcgdotcom wrote:

and yes I did a port nember from Virgin to PM

Ok, if that's the case then it should still show the number and you should still be able to call from you phone with the PM SIM card inserted. I think the problem is that your phone is locked to VM/Bell and that is why it's not connecting to the PM network. You need to talk to VM and ask them to unlock your phone. In the meantime just insert the VM sim card and continue using your phone.

There could stil be a porting issue, but you're right, that wouldn't prevent someone from making phone calls.  However, I will say that, this being an Android-based device, the customer would have been prompted for an unlock code as soon as the phone was turned on with the Public Mobile sim card in it if it were locked to a different carrier.

@mcgdotcom wrote:

When I select automatic connection, it connects instantly but I have no netowrk to sen/recieve texts or make/recieve calls.  I am curious what network it is connecting to as I get three options when manually searching: Bell, Rogers and Telus.  I connect to either of these and do not get a signal. Again, when I automatically conect it ocnnects to a network instantly but I don't know which network and still without signal.

The fact that you see Bell and Telus means that your phone is most definitely compatible, but you already knew that because you got this phone from Virgin Mobile.

The correct network to connect to would be Telus if you are doing manual selection. That is the same network as Public Mobile. Based on the specific phone device's software, some phones will say "Public Mobile' after inserting a Public Mobile sim card, while others will just stay "TELUS".  That itself is not a concern.

You do need to make sure that at the "3g" network type is enabled. However, I don't believe that is the the problem here.  I know that you do not have your phone set to only connect to 2g network, simply because if that was done, you would not even see Bell and
Telus in the network list.  It's possible to have the phone set to only LTE only by mistake, and that would prevent phone calls, but that still wouldn't not explain text messaging not working.  Text messaging is possible over LTE.

Restart your phone, which I'm sure you've already done.  If it still doesn't work, then this is an account issue, for which you have no control of.

One thing that you could try is to go into your self serve account, clicking on the Plans and Add-ons tab, Lost/Stolen Phone, and then Suspend Service. Then, a minute later, reactivate the service from the same place.  This has been known to reset something on Public Mobile's end.

If that doesn't work, I would say that for someone reason the backend system at Public Mobile opened up your account might never actually assigned any service to your sim card (provisioning issue).  Only a moderator would be able to fix this.

sandpublic

@mcgdotcom wrote:

Ok, if that's the case then it should still show the number and you should still be able to call from you phone with the PM SIM card inserted. I think the problem is that your phone is locked to VM/Bell and that is why it's not connecting to the PM network. You need to talk to VM and ask them to unlock your phone. In the meantime just insert the VM sim card and continue using your phone.

mcgdotcom

mcgdotcom

After dialing the string, phone shows unknown number.  Tells me th eporting has not been completed or another issue.

sandpublic

@mcgdotcom wrote:

When I select automatic connection, it connects instantly but I have no netowrk to sen/recieve texts or make/recieve calls.  I am curious what network it is connecting to as I get three options when manually searching: Bell, Rogers and Telus.  I connect to either of these and do not get a signal. Again, when I automatically conect it ocnnects to a network instantly but I don't know which network and still without signal.

If you dial *#*#4636#*#* on your phone under phone information it will  tell you what network you are connected to.

Sounds like your phone is locked to the previous provider (VM or Bell) though. Did you also do a number port when you activated your PM SIM?

Pizzaeh

@mcgdotcom wrote:

Hmmm, why would it be trying to connect to Bell, Rogers or Telus?  Is the old SIM card still in the phone?  Is there any choice for 'LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)' under Mobile Networks?  Under Network Operators it should say Public Mobile.

Tagging @computergeek541 since he's got a lot more experience!

mcgdotcom

Pizzaeh

@mcgdotcom wrote:

The phone is compatible, Samsung S4 mini and verified via their connection tool and yes it is unlocked. I was a virgin customer in the past and verified it would work prior to moving. I am getting vague responses when I get a response from mods and wondering how to get a refund if need be.

The Samsung S4 mini was released a long time ago.  When you say it is unlocked, did you get Virgin to unlock it for you?

The reason I ask this is because cellphones sold by Candian carriers after 2017 had to be sold unlocked.  After that, any phones purchased from them prior to that had to be unlocked for free by the carrier, when the customer asked.  

What does it say on your phone, no network?

mcgdotcom

Yes it reads ACTIVE

mcgdotcom

I agree, but it doesn't explain why the mods are absent from the converation.  I will know more tomorrow and any help for getting a refund which was in the original post would be helpful.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@mcgdotcom wrote:

Anyone having trouble getting any response from mods?  I posted my responses and have received no feedback or answers.  How do we go about refunds for funds spent on new accounts as the phone is good to go basd on bands used and it will not connect.

When you log into My Account and look at Account Status...does it say Active ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mcgdotcom  - There are many sub models of the S4 mini.  A few of them are not compatible with Public Mobile.  Which connection tool did you use to check compatibility?  If it was the IMEI checker on the PM web site, that tool mostly checks if a phone is blacklisted.  It does not necessarily mean that the phone is compatible with the network.

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

PM has the same network as telus so if telus works in your area then PM should too. If telus doesn't work there then I doubt you would get any cell signal there with any provider so this is probably a porting issue.

mcgdotcom

The phone is compatible, Samsung S4 mini and verified via their connection tool and yes it is unlocked. I was a virgin customer in the past and verified it would work prior to moving. I am getting vague responses when I get a response from mods and wondering how to get a refund if need be.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mcgdotcom  - I sent a message to mods before noon this morning.  Received authentication message within 2 hours.  Preliminary corrections were don two hours later.  Thus, I would guess that there is no major backlog right now.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

What phone do you have?  Is it unlocked, or locked to Koodo or Telus?  Are you sure it’s compatible with this network?  

The community can help you figure some of these things out while you await the Moderator team follow up.

Need Help? Let's chat.