cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring phone number from another prepaid company help

Mountainmaxman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey guys, I’m trying to help a friend transfer over her current active orepaid bell phone to public mobile. How does she get her account info? She said she just calls #321 and adds minutes from an automated program. Thanks in advance 

9 REPLIES 9

@popping wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Mountainmaxman wrote:

Hey guys, I’m trying to help a friend transfer over her current active orepaid bell phone to public mobile. How does she get her account info? She said she just calls #321 and adds minutes from an automated program. Thanks in advance 

I disagree with the post that said "the more information the better". - to much information actually increases the likelyhood of slightly conflicting information that could trip the automated system and lead to a failed port.

Whenever possible skip PIN and IMEI and use the account number only (numeric value, no special characters or spaces).

If the provider has account numbers, get that from the online account (if available) or by contacting customer service (for example ChatR has account numbers but doesn't post them in the part of the account that you have access to. Edited to add Bell prepaid to this part of the list - thanks @will13am , good to know.)

Some providers don't have account numbers (SpeakOut, PetroCan Mobility), so if porting from one of those, leave the account number field empty. I recommend calling customer service to verify the information they have on file and need for a successful port. (It might seem obvious, but it's necessarily the case. As an example, SpeakOut had an IMEI number on file that didn't match my then current handset's.)

The last sentence is the standard answer from the community forum.  When I called Speakout last month to get the IMEI number on file, I was given the last 4 digits of the IMEI number of my current phone.  Speakout will not give me the full IMEI number.

That sentence actually is from my personal experience and not just hearsay. My port only worked with the IMEI and PIN the SpeakOut CSR gave me. The IMEI was not the one of the phone I used the SO SIM in at the time.

All I'm saying is that I recommend people getting in touch with the provider to confirm the porting information, because my experience gave me reason to.

Interesting to hear of your experience, this seems to be new(ish) policy. With the reports of identity theft through your phone I could see the reasoning behind it. However, they then should get their act together and actually have their records fail proof (I didn't have access to the phone that the IMEI on record linked to - I wouldn't have been able to port at all). Better yet, go with the times and introduce account numbers?

Sorry for the off topic conversation, op.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Mountainmaxman wrote:

I disagree with the post that said "the more information the better". - to much information actually increases the likelyhood of slightly conflicting information that could trip the automated system and lead to a failed port.

Whenever possible skip PIN and IMEI and use the account number only (numeric value, no special characters or spaces).

If the provider has account numbers, get that from the online account (if available) or by contacting customer service (for example ChatR has account numbers but doesn't post them in the part of the account that you have access to. Edited to add Bell prepaid to this part of the list - thanks @will13am , good to know.)

Some providers don't have account numbers (SpeakOut, PetroCan Mobility), so if porting from one of those, leave the account number field empty. I recommend calling customer service to verify the information they have on file and need for a successful port. (It might seem obvious, but it's necessarily the case. As an example, SpeakOut had an IMEI number on file that didn't match my then current handset's.)

The last sentence is the standard answer from the community forum.  When I called Speakout last month to get the IMEI number on file, I was given the last 4 digits of the IMEI number of my current phone.  Speakout will not give me the full IMEI number.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@Mountainmaxman wrote:

JaimeLaPizza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JaimeLaPizza wrote:

@Mountainmaxman : Do not forget to ask your friend to enter your info for the "Refer a friend" reward !  You will get a 1$ rebate every month as long as your friend stays with Public Mobile !

Here is how to get that 1$ rebate... and I forgot to mention that your friend will receive a one-time 10$ rebate.

JaimeLaPizza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Mountainmaxman : Do not forget to ask your friend to enter your info for the "Refer a friend" reward !  You will get a 1$ rebate every month as long as your friend stays with Public Mobile !

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I did a port from Bell prepaid a number of years ago.  Unless there's been big changes, getting account information required a call to customer service.  The account number is not shown in the online login.  I like using account number for porting.  Never been let down with this approach. 

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

First, try getting all her account info from her phone bills, whether it online bill or paper bill - all the info you need such as account # and address etc should be there.  When you start the porting process online with Public and if you see that you are missing some info that wasn't on the bills, then you'll have to call customer service and ask them by dialing 611 or *611, if they start to bug about if you are porting number away - you can either tell them that it none of their business since you have a right to your own information according to privacy laws so they should just give you the info you want without delay, or tell them the truth that you're porting to Public Mobile to save $.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Mountainmaxman wrote:

@Mountainmaxman  Ask you friend if they know their PIN and just use that along with the phone number and the name.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@Mountainmaxman I assume your friend is with Bell? info here You don't need that much information other than her PIN for her current account.

You already know her number, her provider, just need her account pin.

The more information you can provide to Public, the less likely hood hick ups happen during the porting process.

Need Help? Let's chat.