cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfered Cogeco number here sort of working

JoeFrankRoy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just went to https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/ChangeNumber/ and change my number (transfer number) from cogeco home phone to here at public mobile it says "Phone number change successful". When I use my PM cell phone the outgoing number says my old cogeco number, but when I use the old cogeco home phone it still is the SAME number still working and if I call my cogeco number it rings my home number not my cell phone.

9 REPLIES 9

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Welcome to public mobile. If you need anything else make a new post / topic there is great support here!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JoeFrankRoy wrote:

Its home phone and Internet

Review you Cogeco monthly statement, if the home phone and internet are on separate charge item, you can cancel the home phone service by porting out your home phone number without canceling the Internet service.

wilts
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you internet is linked to your "old" phone number you may have an issue.  If it is fiber you should not.  Still may need to adjust your internet regardless.

Psygineer

@JoeFrankRoy wrote:

I transfered my home phone, but don't want the account closed because I still use the internet

During the porting request, it asked you what you wanted to happen to your old account. Don't worry about your Internet they won't knock that out unless you asked for it to be closed. Your phone service will be closed once the port completes but that is about it. I'm not familiar with that particular service provider but typically each service you have is separate. They might bundle them together to save you some funds (like have two, save $5 a month) or something like that, but if you cancel one service the other one should still continue, you just lose any bundle perks you had.

JoeFrankRoy

Its home phone and Internet

JoeFrankRoy

I transfered my home phone, but don't want the account closed because I still use the internet

wilts
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Number transfers, even though they seem instant, they are not.  Be patient as they will transfer.  Just take a bit of time for the prpagation.  No different when moving a website.  It seems instant but unfortunatly it is not.

Psygineer

@JoeFrankRoy wrote:

I just went to https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/ChangeNumber/ and change my number (transfer number) from cogeco home phone to here at public mobile it says "Phone number change successful". When I use my PM cell phone the outgoing number says my old cogeco number, but when I use the old cogeco home phone it still is the SAME number still working and if I call my cogeco number it rings my home number not my cell phone.

That's the weird behaviour I described in your other thread. It's a perfectly normal part of the porting process. 

It will take a few hours to half a day for mobile to mobile.

It will take two to three days for a landline to mobile.

I am told it can take up to a week for VOIP to mobile.

@Psygineer wrote:

During the porting time, you will have a bit of odd service. You can call out on the phone, but you will not be able to receive calls (they will still go to your old line). Once the port is complete it will be fine.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Porting a landline/VOIP number to cellular takes much longer than cellular to cellular (days vs. hours).  Until the port is complete, you'll be able to make outgoing calls on your cell with the number, but not receive them.  Be sure not to cancel your Cogeco account before the port is complete, or the operation will fail.

Need Help? Let's chat.