cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

That’s right: You can’t turn off Personal Hotspot in iOS 13 and iPadOS 13

LeSong
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

042D564C-656F-4A82-97B9-177C7432DB86.jpeg

If you’re a regular user of the Personal Hotspot feature for iPhones and cellular-equipped iPads, you might wondered where the off setting went in iOS 13.1 and iPadOS 13.1. It’s gone, but it’s not an error and you’re not just missing it.

Apple in that release—not in iOS 13.0, but the 13.1 release for both platforms—rethought how it expresses Personal Hotspot’s use philosophically. In previous releases, you had the on-demand Personal Hotspot that could be turned on, put on standby, or turned off. There was also an Instant Hotspot feature, which allowed any of your iCloud-connected devices to select the Personal Hotspot even if it were set to Off or Off, But Discoverable.

To read this article in full, please click here

4 REPLIES 4

@cellphoneuser1The article doesn't state out it assumptions. Personal Hotspot as pure wifi? Yes you can turn off, but iOS (on devices the latest lower power BT) doesn't stop communicating with other devices that is under the same AppleID. I would mark it as hysterics.

@GinYVR wrote:

@LeSongYes you can.. this is on my XS with iOS 13.1.2

IMG_1F8C7017F530-1.jpeg

So, is that article wrong or is it a slightly different version?

@LeSongYes you can.. this is on my XS with iOS 13.1.2

IMG_1F8C7017F530-1.jpeg

This is the option I have as default (when re: sharing with others)

IMG_E42AFFD67632-1.jpeg

I think the article is misleading. When you are on your devices that are logged into your iCloud access, the assumption is you have control on your device. iOS devices communicate via bluetooth with one another (that's how they know you have a new device in the vicinity and ask you whether to transfer your information over to the new device).

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@LeSong I would not worry about security because of WPA2 encryption. Even data usage, someone on the othe device has to be using it to consume data although a device could be doing background downloads. As no overage charges at Public Mobile, I think this is mostly a waste of battery.

Need Help? Let's chat.