cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting pictures

cairns13
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The only issue I'm having with my new PM SIM card now is sending pictures through texting.  My data now works with the APN all set correctly finally (my fault)

anytime I send a picture with a text to either an iPhone user or android they all go as SMS and show message failure not delivered.  Texts with no pictures work fine.  

any ideas?  All welcomed!!

23 REPLIES 23

@cairns13 wrote:

@mimmo My phone is an iPhone 8 Plus and I can only enter the following three fields. The rest is handled through a profile that is set with the unlockit link 

D053F1BA-38FB-4CF7-9484-5878AF90DCAB.jpeg

You have a typo in that APN - should be sp.mb.com. Actually for hotspot which you're in there, it should be isp.mb.com.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@cairns13 wrote:

Is there any other way to get the profile for apn loaded except through unlock it?  I can't seem to edit or see all the settings for mms in that profile.

And OS is 13.3. Not sure version of public mobile being 40. Going to guess as I can't see this version anywhere.  I removed the profile from the unlock it site that was added.  Once I do I have no data available on the phone.

On an iPhone 8 (and any model from 4S and up, actually), using the unlockit.co.nz site is completely unnecessary and should be avoided to alleviate issues/conflicts.

Where you found the iOS version (Settings --> General), you can also see the Carrier Profile if you scroll down from where the iOS version is:GeneralAbout.png

It's very important that this shows up as "Public Mobile", as it will configure everything correctly (including APN and MMS settings).  It hides the ability for you to view/set these, which is why you'll never see the actual settings.

It's just odd that you need the unlockit profile for data to work, as the Carrier Profile should set these for you.  The symptoms you describe suggest the carrier profile isn't correct...

@cairns13 wrote:

I did also try the text now and oddly enough everything works except pictures even with this.  All other texts going   Maybe it's the size of pictures being sent?   That's my next look other than doing another wipe of my phone and retry it all.  

I think the iPhone will downconvert any pictures that are of excessive size for MMS, so that shouldn't be the case, but you could definitely test with smaller graphics just to see.  And MMS is for sure enabled (Settings --> Messages --> MMS Messaging = enabled)?Messages.png

Maybe try disabling MMS Messaging, send a picture text to your TextNow number, then enable MMS Messaging, and then send again.

Disabling MMS Messaging is the only way I can get my own phone to display the "Not Delivered" error with the (!).  But, I guess if you don't have the proper carrier profile installed, that could cause this symptom as well.

cairns13

@CalgaryBen  I did also try the text now and oddly enough everything works except pictures even with this.  All other texts going   Maybe it's the size of pictures being sent?   That's my next look other than doing another wipe of my phone and retry it all.  

cairns13

@Dunkman @Yes I'm quite sad to say mms sms and iMessage all turned on and off many times now.  I'll have to wait to do a complete backup now until I get home to wifi.  Darn thing.  

@cairns13 

Silly question: is your MMS messaging turned on?  

turn off iMessage and then turn back on. 

Maybe be even try factory reset. Back up first. 

cairns13

@CalgaryBen And OS is 13.3. Not sure version of public mobile being 40. Going to guess as I can't see this version anywhere.  I removed the profile from the unlock it site that was added.  Once I do I have no data available on the phone. 

cairns13

@CalgaryBen @Okay so did the rest twice still the same. Is there any other way to get the profile for apn loaded except through unlock it?  I can't seem to edit or see all the settings for mms in that profile.  

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@cairns13 wrote:

anytime I send a picture with a text to either an iPhone user or android they all go as SMS and show message failure not delivered.  Texts with no pictures work fine.  

@cairns13, It sounds like the MMS proxy isn't set up for some reason, or is being blocked/overridden by something (rare).

Try doing the following TWICE in a row (it will reboot each time): Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings --> (passcode if prompted) --> Reset Network Settings (to confirm).  You'll have to re-establish your WiFi settings after this (small price to pay).

Also, what iOS and Carrier Profile?  iOS 13.3 is recommended, which will implicitly load Public Mobile 40.0 to set everything up.

I would also recommend downloading an app such as TextNow, which will serve as a sort of "phone inside your phone", and is useful for testing SMS/MMS to/from your iPhone (saves you from having to physically bug your buddies/family during testing...).

cairns13

@mimmo Thanks.  Yes those are

the instructions I had to use to get the profile loaded.  Sounds like older phones have the mms issue but haven't seen issues on an iPhone 8.  Will keep searching!!

cairns13

@Dunkman Will try Calgary Ben next .... seems odd for no pictures when texting when everything else works perfectly.  Hopefully they will have some answers!!  Thanks 

@cairns13 

That is unusual. Maybe @CalgaryBen will have some answers. He is the resident Apple expert. 

Maybe try connecting phone to iTunes via a computer. 

cairns13

@Dunkman yes network reset every time.  I had to use the unlock it and "load the profile" to get data to work at all.  Finally after the profile was loaded I am able to do almost everything now except the one thing of sending pictures with text.   

@cairns13 

Newer iPhones like your iPhone 8 does not need to manually change APN settings. Should be automatic when you insert SIM card. 

Have you tried network reset?  

cairns13

@Anonymous Will try now thanks.  I've been playing with my phone for over a week now and the only way I got data to work was by using the apn.  

Frank555
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hope it works out for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cairns13 wrote:

@mimmo My phone is an iPhone 8 Plus and I can only enter the following three fields. The rest is handled through a profile that is set with the unlockit link 

You shouldn't've needed to use unlockit. Use the search bar up top and type in fyi ios apn. There's an immense amount of information available in that thread.

I think you connect to itunes via usb and look for carrier updates.

Edit: That image shows a wrong apn address too. And that's for hotspot...not just internet connection.

cairns13

D053F1BA-38FB-4CF7-9484-5878AF90DCAB.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cairns13 wrote:

@totalUser ... yes I'm on an iPhone. My APN settings were changed using the unlock it link.  The settings look fine for iMessage sms and mms.  I'll try resetting my phone again for the umpteenth time lol.  

Yes apparently for iphone 4 and older, MMS simply will not work here.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Are you using an iPhone 4? Else you should probably be able to enter them yourself

The apn setting info can be found:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles?q=Mms+apn

cairns13

@totalUser ... yes I'm on an iPhone. My APN settings were changed using the unlock it link.  The settings look fine for iMessage sms and mms.  I'll try resetting my phone again for the umpteenth time lol.  

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Are you on iPhone? You may need to change your settings in iMessages

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Try restarting your phone

For mms you need correct data settings and data on.

Hope it works

Need Help? Let's chat.