cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting issues - wifi required

chrisco
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

I've been using PM services since December and everything worked fine. But for the last month I'm have issues sending and receiving SMS. Nothing can be received nor send unless I'm connected to WiFi or I turn data on (It's turn off from the beginning barely have any data). Once connected, got notification for all the messages received and send all the messages I composed while I was offline.

I'm using a Motorola Moto E6 with Google Messages (came as default app)

My plan includes:

- 100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk + Unlimited Incoming Minutes

- 250 MB Data

- Unlimited International Text

20 REPLIES 20

chrisco

@geopublic wrote:

@chrisco  When you disable chat features that means that Google Messages will not use RCS for texts (texts over Wi-Fi or data).

Note it can take many hours for your number to de-register from all network provider's RCS servers so that might be the reason you are not receiving the texts immediately. 

Turn chat features off and wait until tomorrow and test again.

I turned it off again and I'll wait. I know I have a pending message, so let see when it will get in.

@chrisco wrote:

@geopublic  Go into Messages --> Settings and disable chat features. 

I tried that, I was able to send messages, but was unsuccessful on receiving them

@chrisco  When you disable chat features that means that Google Messages will not use RCS for texts (texts over Wi-Fi or data).

Note it can take many hours for your number to de-register from all network provider's RCS servers so that might be the reason you are not receiving the texts immediately. 

Turn chat features off and wait until tomorrow and test again.

@chrisco 

go to Google Play store and update all your apps especially "carrier services" and Google connectivity services

contact customer support mods to reset your network from their end. did you renew your plan recently?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

chrisco

@Anonymous wrote:

Go into Apps and clear cache and maybe even data and then force close. Restart. See what happens.

Did that without luck. Cache & Storage

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrisco wrote:

I tried that and reset everything. No WiFi, no Bluetooth and data turned off. I sent a test SMS that I didn't received.

Than I tried on and off the chat feature without luck. Same with Group Messaging.

I turned the data on and got the message instantly.

Go into Apps and clear cache and maybe even data and then force close. Restart. See what happens.

chrisco

@gpixel wrote:

@chrisco 

• remove your sim turn off the device, turn on the device and reinstall the sim.(while the sim is out make sure the metal contacts are clean)

reset your network settings

• open settings
    scroll down to system
    tap on reset options
    tap reset wifi,mobile & Bluetooth
    tap reset settings and restart

i don't know if it's just the Google messages app, but I'm able to send MMS over wifi.(RCS chat features disabled)

I tried that and reset everything. No WiFi, no Bluetooth and data turned off. I sent a test SMS that I didn't received.

Than I tried on and off the chat feature without luck. Same with Group Messaging.

I turned the data on and got the message instantly.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping : 74.49.0.18

@gpixel : interesting. My S7 doesn't grab the buffer even though it flicks data on and off.

Thanks.  Updated my post.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel : interesting. My S7 doesn't grab the buffer even though it flicks data on and off.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@chrisco 

I am using Google Messages app on my A5 Pro.

MMS uses mobile data which needs to be enabled.  MMS cannot send/receive on WiFi.

I have an old $10 50/50 plan without plan data.  I enabled data in order to send/receive MMS.  Google Messages app tells me what (SMS or MMS) was used to send/receive.

What is yours values for the following parameters on your APN settings:

MMSC  http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS proxy 74.49.0.18

MMS port  80

chrisco

@Anonymous wrote:

Does her phone have group messaging on? If so does she have auto-download MMS on?

Don't change hers. Just check it.

It's on mms for her too. I switch mine to sms and I'll wait to see what happens

chrisco

@geopublic  Go into Messages --> Settings and disable chat features. 

I tried that, I was able to send messages, but was unsuccessful on receiving them

@Anonymous lol I know it's a little redundant. it's part of my copy paste though 😅

I'm gonna test that out right now to see if the buffer gets enables when only wifi is on. that should tell us wether it's using wifi or data. I'll post my findings on here in a bit

*youre right "z" my buffer in self serve was enabled when sending through wifi. I'll try this again with no internet connection. 

*no internet connection, it took a bit longer.. it said "waiting for internet connection" then it said done. so the software is automatically toggling the data. 👍 I went on the pc to check the buffer. the buffer was again, enabled

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@chrisco wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been using PM services since December and everything worked fine. But for the last month I'm have issues sending and receiving SMS. Nothing can be received nor send unless I'm connected to WiFi or I turn data on (It's turn off from the beginning barely have any data). Once connected, got notification for all the messages received and send all the messages I composed while I was offline.

My plan includes:

- 250 MB Data

@chrisco  Go into Messages --> Settings and disable chat features. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel wrote:
  • tap reset settings and restart

...after re-inserting the SIM 🙂

Edit: after your edit...are you sure it's not flipping on/off cell data? That's interesting.

@chrisco 

• remove your sim turn off the device, turn on the device and reinstall the sim.(while the sim is out make sure the metal contacts are clean)

reset your network settings

• open settings
    scroll down to system
    tap on reset options
    tap reset wifi,mobile & Bluetooth
    tap reset settings and restart

i don't know if it's just the Google messages app, but I'm able to send MMS over wifi.(RCS chat features disabled)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrisco wrote:

I had data turned off all along and it work before. My girlfriend has the same phone/plan and hers work with data turned off. I tried to match her settings, but mine still not working

Does her phone have group messaging on? If so does she have auto-download MMS on?

Don't change hers. Just check it.

chrisco

I had data turned off all along and it work before. My girlfriend has the same phone/plan and hers work with data turned off. I tried to match her settings, but mine still not working

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Triguy wrote:

You need data enabled to send texts even though it does not count towards your data usage.

Check your settings to see if you have wifi enabled to send messages.

...as MMS yes.

MMS doesn't go over wifi though either. (except that tree fruit brand)

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You need data enabled to send texts even though it does not count towards your data usage.

Check your settings to see if you have wifi enabled to send messages.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrisco wrote:

Hi everyone,

My plan includes:

- 250 MB Data

Sounds like you're doing all MMS. Is there a setting to default to SMS?

Need Help? Let's chat.