cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting/SIM card issue?

Islandgirl56
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I am a fairly new convert to Public mobile. I did the switch last month & everything seemed fine. Just over the last couple of days though I am having trouble sending texts.The only way I can force a text to send is to remove the SIM card, wait, re-insert it,  power phone back on & then the text will send. Any suggestions?

20 REPLIES 20

@Islandgirl56 wrote:

@CannonFodderI totally did this. I even went outside onto our upper outside deck & it didn't work. Also I was at work, in a completely different location & could not send text message yesterday.

Well, the suggestion about moving around, to different locations, was mainly in reply to you having said, "I'll think I'll chalk it up to poor signal right now as my phone just lost service". If all of your service(making & receiving calls, and accessing data) works properly at other locations, with texting being the only exception, that would tend to indicate the issue is something in the settings of your phone.

Did you read the link @gblackma  provided, at the bottom of page 1? There MIGHT be some useful info there..... that, and possibly doing some further Google searching for the same issue might yield something helpful.

@Islandgirl56 contact the moderators then, and ask them to reset your SIM. 

@Islandgirl56 wrote:

@gblackmaI have not tried to kickstart my service as you suggested. I don't think that's the issue as everything else on the phone works as it should.

Islandgirl56

@CannonFodderI totally did this. I even went outside onto our upper outside deck & it didn't work. Also I was at work, in a completely different location & could not send text message yesterday.

Islandgirl56

@gblackmaI have not tried to kickstart my service as you suggested. I don't think that's the issue as everything else on the phone works as it should.

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@Islandgirl56 wrote:

The only way I can force a text to send is to remove the SIM card, wait, re-insert it,  power phone back on & then the text will send. Any suggestions?

This sort of "jumping through hoops" SHOULD NOT be necessary, but if you're in an area of weak signal strength, from personal experience, I suggest you move around to another room, and try that. In my case, there are certain parts of our place that get VERY poor, or zero, reception, whereas other parts are fine.

@Islandgirl56 wrote:

Thanks for everyones help. I'll think I'll chalk it up to poor signal right now as my phone just lost service 😞

Well, being in an area with a weak signal can definitely cause issues with service(I know, because I live in just such an area), but you previously said it worked fine for about a month, so that SHOULDN'T be the issue.....

Have you tried any of the tricks that I suggested @Islandgirl56 ? It may be that your payment cycle reset may not have worked as it should have. The tricks suggested should kickstart your service. Try sending a mms text after each of them. Contact the moderators if they don't work.

Islandgirl56

Thanks for everyones help. I'll think I'll chalk it up to poor signal right now as my phone just lost service 😞

Islandgirl56

Texting seems to be the only problem. calling works fine.

Islandgirl56

mms & group is enabled as well.

@Islandgirl56  Do the other parts of your service work, i.e. making & receiving phone calls, and using data? Is texting the ONLY problem? I think what @gblackma  is getting at, with the mention of adding $1 and restarting, is that if you're on autopay, MAYBE your account didn't renew properly, and trying that may jump-start your service.

@Islandgirl56  enable mms and group messaging. Use this guide to troubleshoot your settings https://osxdaily.com/2016/05/12/fix-iphone-not-sending-text-messages-sms/

Islandgirl56

I have both imessage and sms enabled to make sure they both work.

Islandgirl56

No I didn't just pay. I switched over last month & checked to make sure everything worked okay, which it did until the last couple of days.

@Islandgirl56  Any chance you're using iMessage, and MAYBE need to change the settings to "SMS" for that app?

Islandgirl56

Different people.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Islandgirl56 Did you just pay for your plan? It may not have reset properly Try these tricks:

1. Put your phone into aeroplane mode for 5 minutes, take it off and restart your phone.
  2. From with your self service account place,your phone on lost/stolen for 5 minutes, take it off and restart.
  3. Use the add one time payment option to add $1 to your self service account . And restart.

If none of these helps, contact a moderator and explain your situation. Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one.  (CLICK on account specific question and human and submit a ticket)

@Islandgirl56 wrote:

Hi,

I am a fairly new convert to Public mobile. I did the switch last month & everything seemed fine. Just over the last couple of days though I am having trouble sending texts.The only way I can force a text to send is to remove the SIM card, wait, re-insert it,  power phone back on & then the text will send. Any suggestions?

Islandgirl56

It's an iphone 5s. I am on the $15 plan. Yesterday it was an mms message, but today I was just tryng to send a regular text.

Doomsday

Is it not sending to someone specific or everyone?

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@Islandgirl56  What kind of phone? Which plan are you on? Is the issue with SMS texts, or MMS(pics and/or video included) texts?

Need Help? Let's chat.