cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering is not working, please help

aryanenzo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a Huawei Mate 10 Pro, tethering worked before on Freedom Mobile and I'm sure it used to work long ago with Public Mobile.

I try to connect to my phone's hotspot and the internet on the phone gets disabled and obviously no internet is being broadcast either.

Starting from the beginning, when I insert my sim card into the phone, I get two APNs automatically added. One is Mobile Internet sp.mb.com, and the other is Tethered Mobile Internet Isp.mb.com. I am guessing the phone is switching to Tethered mobile internet APN when I try to tether. The issue is that this APN is nearly completely blank. No MMSC, No proxy, no port, nothing. It does have "dun" as APN type and Isp.mb.com but there's nothing else. These two default APNs I cannot edit them and I cannot delete them.

I have tried the following:

- Making a new APN with the settings:

APN: sb.mb.com

MMSC: Http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS Proxy: 74.49.0.19
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220

APN Type: default, mms, supl, dun
APN Protocol: IPV4

APN roaming protocol: IPV4
APN Enabled: Yes

All else blank.

I have tried several variations of this. I have tried just "dun" in APN type, I have tried isp.mb.com in APN field as well. Nothing works. Exactly the same behavior as always.

Getting really fed up. It's been months of trouble.

16 REPLIES 16

@computergeek541 

Awesome luddite comes through again with his stellar rate of solution to posts.  

@aryanenzo wrote:

Eventually I used the same APN settings everyone recommends for Public Mobile but instead of APN type blank or dun...I used the APN Type: default,supl,mms,dun WITH NO SPACES after the ","s which did the trick. Tethering working perfectly now.

I've changed this solution as it was mentioned by another member (Luddite) earlier. It's good to hear that your data is working.

@@

You are welcome @aryanenzo . Glad it worked. Look at @Luddite 's post. The first one after your original question. Stay safe 

aryanenzo

For future readers: seems like I have fixed it. I put the sim card into my Galaxy S7 and tethering worked perfectly and the Mobile Tethering APN was still blank. So that led me to believe it isn't the problem. The default Mobile Internet APN was different however. It had MVNO set to GID and Value to 4D. Using these same settings in my Huawei completely disconnected the internet.

Eventually I used the same APN settings everyone recommends for Public Mobile but instead of APN type blank or dun...I used the APN Type: default,supl,mms,dun WITH NO SPACES after the ","s which did the trick. Tethering working perfectly now.

Thanks everyone!

@aryanenzo, Before you do this, back-up your phone contents. And I would do a factory reset on the phone, and try again. This should wipe out your previous settings with Freedom, and by starting with a clean slate, it shouldn't be a problem. When I made the switch from Fido to Public Mobile, I just bought myself a brand new phone to well, reward myself self and making a clean get-away from Fido. Because I am super **bleep**, I still did a factory reset, and plug along and ported successfully have copying and pasting the APN settings. And it works great. 

@aryanenzo wrote:

reset settings in the APN page, which deleted all my APN except the default two which are permanent. Went into Developer options and Hardware Accelerated Tethering was  already enabled. Restarted phone.

The problem is not resolved.

Did you try SIM 2 slot?  In the xda thread someone said it worked on SIM 2 but not SIM 1.  It does seem like Public Mobile tethering is a little messed up on the Chinese branded phones. On my Umidigi F2, I have to add dun to the APN type field.  Using data from a different carrier, I don't have to do that.  BTW, you cannot edit the APNs that are included on the phone.  The APN configuration file is read only.  

aryanenzo

http://prntscr.com/silojh Here is my Tethered Mobile Internet Default APN. Its blank and I cannot edit or delete it. Creating another "dun" type APN does not resolve the problem as I cannot select one or the other.

aryanenzo

Disabled Automatic Network. Tried to manually connect to Freedom and bell which failed to register, restarted my phone, selected Public Mobile. Problem persists. The Default Mobile Tethering APN is basically blank.

@aryanenzo 2 choices do a network reset or manually select  another company as your service providers for example Bell. Restart your phone. Then reselect PM as your provider. Restart your phone.  Try tethering that sucker again. Stay safe.

aryanenzo

reset settings in the APN page, which deleted all my APN except the default two which are permanent. Went into Developer options and Hardware Accelerated Tethering was  already enabled. Restarted phone.

The problem is not resolved.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@aryanenzo  Remove the existing APN settings. Reset you network settings restart your phone.

Enable Developer options and make sure Tethering acceleration of available is enabled.

aryanenzo

I tried DUN instead of dun. This made it a selectable APN where as the "tether type" APNs are not selectable they just sort of aggregate. I switched to this DUN APN and still no internet while tethering.

There is no way to edit either default APN, no way to delete. As far as I know the only way is to root the phone.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Can you delete the teathering apn. Or edit it to be the same as the regular one?

Could a network setting reset help?

Have you tried googling your issue there is a long thread in XDA with people with similar issues.

Edit here is the link. Might be worth reading the various posts

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mate-10/help/tether-hotspot-t3713749

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@aryanenzo  try DUN in the selected APN type (no spaces). Sometimes its silly but the capitalization helps. Also try it with your settings but with nothing in the APN type. Welcome to the community. Stay safe. 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@aryanenzo Remove all the blank spaces in the APN Type field; try DUN in place of dun. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.