cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk text only phone

gstan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there. I am wondering if anyone knows of a talk/text only phone with a qwerty keyboard exists that I could get to use on a public mobile plan.

I don’t want to give my child a smartphone but want her to be able to contact her friend and family. I don’t think she’d appreciate texting on a numbers only pad... 

18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr wrote:

I believe it's one of those "unofficial" quirks of PM's system that not enabling autopay doesn't by-pass the data allotment will mean you lose the $2 discount.

Edit: I haven't personally tested it but I'm thinking @z10ouser has mentioned it in earlier posts.

These things have been written about multiple times. As always...subject to change at any time without notice. Others have written more. But yes...best not to advertise it too much. I have also in the past pm'd people asking unofficial things.Like I was when I was new here.

But whatever...I'm not the forum police.

gstan

Thanks for the photo.  Yeah that looks similar with the smartphone disadvantage.  I am a psychotherapist and am very aware of the consequences of placing smartphones and other devices so readily into the hands of children.  I’d like her to have a few more years of freedom from the addictive behavior as well as a being able to develop a good sense that she has a right to manage her own privacy when it comes to how her data is used.  Even if she doesn’t have data on the plan she could still access the internet and apps etc in public places like coffee shops, schools etc.  crusty ol’ mom I am...

@computergeek541 yup thats what the picture says that I downloaded from Google. 97 mini

@howardhao @dabr Quiet about that  😉

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv wrote:

@howardhao wrote:

I think that's not the incident, you will get both because the $2 is the rewards and the 250mb is the bonus if you register for the auto-pay.

@howardhao That wasn't the what the question was about. I said to forgo the autopay and not worry about data as there was no bonus data without autopay and someone else said there is anecdotal evidence to suggest that even without autopay, you will receive the data.

I believe it's one of those "unofficial" quirks of PM's system that not enabling autopay doesn't by-pass the data allotment will mean you lose the $2 discount.

Edit: I haven't personally tested it but I'm thinking @z10ouser has mentioned it in earlier posts.

@Jb456 Is that a Nokia N97 Mini?  The N97 was a terrible device when it came to signal strength.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@gstan  they still have those slide out keyboards but the new ones are smartphones. 

nokia_n97_mini_2.jpg

gstan

Thanks for all the suggestions.  That has given me some food for thought.  I had a really great Nokia back in the day with a ‘cool’ slide-out keyboard.   (I’m sure her friends would be jealous of the ‘retro’ look)  I want my freedom back too haha! 

@howardhao wrote:

I think that's not the incident, you will get both because the $2 is the rewards and the 250mb is the bonus if you register for the auto-pay.

@howardhao That wasn't the what the question was about. I said to forgo the autopay and not worry about data as there was no bonus data without autopay and someone else said there is anecdotal evidence to suggest that even without autopay, you will receive the data.

howardhao

@hairbag1 wrote:

Good thought but there's evidence that suggests you still get the 250mb even without using autopay.  Someone else may be able to confirm that.

@hairbag1 Well thats a new one for me! Hopefully someone can chime in on this one. This is purely incidental though right? Not official, part of the plan?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

"I don’t think she’d appreciate texting on a numbers only pad"

I don't think she'd be to happy with everyone at school picking on her for some old ancient phone either 😅

@kb_mv wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

How about  cheap smartphone (iPhone 4 or 5 maybe) with the $15 plan...then burn off the included 250mb of data by doing a couple of Speedtests should do the trick. Of course you'd have to do that every 30 days when the plan renews !!

@gstan @hairbag1  Or you could just forgo the autopay $2 and not worry about them having access to data. Of course you still need to have it turned on for MMS to work.

Good thought but there's evidence that suggests you still get the 250mb even without using autopay.  Someone else may be able to confirm that.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@gstan , the closest thing is a flip phone.  Phones like old blackberries with full keyboard are really smart phones although quite limited in capability compared to current phones.  Amazon is a good source for flip phones.  TBH, a budget smart phone is a better option.  Public Mobile plans are prepaid and so there is never bill shock.  Kids can't hurt the wallet.  

@hairbag1 wrote:

How about  cheap smartphone (iPhone 4 or 5 maybe) with the $15 plan...then burn off the included 250mb of data by doing a couple of Speedtests should do the trick. Of course you'd have to do that every 30 days when the plan renews !!

@gstan @hairbag1  Or you could just forgo the autopay $2 and not worry about them having access to data. Of course you still need to have it turned on for MMS to work.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@gstan wrote:

Hi there. I am wondering if anyone knows of a talk/text only phone with a qwerty keyboard exists that I could get to use on a public mobile plan.

I don’t want to give my child a smartphone but want her to be able to contact her friend and family. I don’t think she’d appreciate texting on a numbers only pad... 

If they need more talk time, get the $5 / 500 minute of Canada wide calling add-on to that $15 plan.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@gstan wrote:

@gstan   You could probably find older models of phones with a qwerty keyboard, I know I've seen them on Amazon (used I believe), older blackberry models perhaps.   You'd have to make sure they're compatible with the Telus/Bell network and are unlocked.

Your daughter would probably be okay on the $15 plan with 100 outgoing mins/unlimited incoming and unlimited texting.  Just add $5/500 mins add-on for back up mins and it should be sufficient unless she's on the phone all day. 😊

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@gstan wrote:

@gstan Back in the old days texting on a number keypad (called T9 I think) was all we had and was cutting edge stuff. Kids are so soft these days lol.

Need Help? Let's chat.