cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking phone off national blacklist

MikePysh
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi. A week or so ago I had my sim card stolen, yeah not my phone or battery, but sim card stolen. I reported it here at PM so that the loser could not use it anymore than they did. So the other day I bought new sim card and plopped it into my phone and it does nothing. Before that it I was dealing with emergency calls only and thought that was something to do with the rom (which turned out it did) I was using on my phone. So I switched roms and bought the new sim card and the phone still wouldn't work. I went to PM kiosk in the mall and she found out that IMEI had been blacklisted. The only way it could be blacklisted is because I reported my phone lost or stolen because of the stolen sim card. I did unsuspend my service after i bought the sim but it phone still doesn't work. What can I do besides having to buy a new phone or illegaly changing my IMEI?

MIkePysh

7 REPLIES 7

Article is written about iPhones but everything works the same way for Androids (just without involving Apple).

https://unlock.ultrasnow.eu/unblock-blacklisted-iphone-unlock-blocked-device/

Network-side IMEI blacklist is not the same thing as carrier-lock or SIM-lock.

Many dual-SIM phones have separate IMEIs for each SIM slot, so they'd need to be blacklisted twice if lost/stolen and may still have one valid slot if only blacklisted once.

The blacklist system is deliberately designed to obstruct (re)validation attempts on phones which have been reported as lost/stolen by owner, replaced by manufacturer, or involved in crime/fraud. And it's deliberately designed to discourage casual (mis)use because too many people are too flippant with it.

@totalUser wrote:

I think you can contact manufacturer to have it removed from the list

Can you prove you are the rightful owner?

Manufacturers would not be able to assist. The carriers would have to do the removal of the device's IMEI from the national blacklist.

@totalUser wrote:

Think a little harder please.  You do understand how the Canadian blacklist works?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@MikePysh , when you reported your phone as stolen, which carrier did you connect with.  You need to go back to that source and have them remove the phone from the blacklist.  In the Public Mobile self serve you can only report lost phone for the purpose of suspending the account.  It does not result in any phone being placed in the blacklist.  

BTW, you do understand why the individual was interested in your SIM card and nothing else?  If the person that took your SIM card had other personal information about you, they could use your phone number to receive reset codes for online accounts that you own.  I suggest going over usage records to see if there is any potential for downstream impacts.  

@MikePysh  Did you just report the phone stolen in your account? If so that did not get it blacklisted. Only the mobility provider that originally supplied the phone, a phone insurance company or the rightful owner can get it blacklisted. Only those three can get it removed from the list.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@MikePysh  When you got your new sim card did you go into your selfserve account and select the change sim card option? If not, do it asap and enter the new sim card number. Insert the new card and test your phone. Report back if it works.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.