cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Information Displays Wrong Phone Number

smoter
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

As the title says, the phone number listed on my Mother's Moto G6 under "About Phone - Phone Number", "SIM status" and advanced Messaging settings, is not the same as her actual cell number.

By way of some background, I successfully ported her number to the Public Mobile network from Rogers a couple months ago and everything appeared to work great. She did mention that replying to group messages resulted in her receiving the same message she sent, from her actual numerical phone number. I didn't think much of it and it really wasn't problematic, just an annoyance.

Yesterday, I upgraded her phone and noticed first-hand this same issue. In troubleshooting, I went into the advanced Messaging settings and that's where I first noticed her phone number was completely different. Then I checked the Android system information and it was the same incorrect phone number under "About Phone" as well as "SIM Status".

I called this different number and it was answered by some random person.

Is there any way to change this so that the accurate phone number is displayed? I saw this old thread from 2015, but I'm not sure if it's the same issue, or if there’s a more convenient solution - https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/Old-number-before-port-showing-in-SIM-stat...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bob

3 REPLIES 3

smoter
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you both computergeek541 and abTest.

I appreciate the quick replies.

I will go through the "?" chat feature to open a ticket with the moderators.

@smoter 

The phone number displayed in "about phone" is almost entirely cosmetic. While some messaging apps will show a reply-to phone number by copying it from there, an incorrect phone number on the sim card will not affect your actual Public Mobile services. This phone number is pushed to be saved on the sim card by the network.

If this isn't happening, it sometimes get done after the device is restarted (which you've probably already tried). Otherwise, you can get the moderators to have it done.

Some older Blackberry devices had a software option to edit the phone number saved on the sim card.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@smoter- If the phone is reporting the previous phone number (likely the one you were assigned before portin in her number from Rogers), and this is NOT a setting on the phone, then you will likely need to contact the moderator team and have them look into it.

You can click on the question mark in the lower right corner, or find Simon on the self serve, and follow instructions to open a ticket.

Need Help? Let's chat.