cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switiching to a flip phone

inagakimai
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A question: Is it possible to switch my sim card from iphone XR to a flip phone? Do I need some sort of a sim adapter to do that? My iphone broke and I am thinking of using a flip phone as for now. However, I do not want to change my phone number. Thank you!

14 REPLIES 14

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@inagakimai Try looking into the Alcatel Go flip 3

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/chatr-alcatel-go-flip-3-black-prepaid/14518022?cmp=knc-s-717000...

I have this phone for my parents and its pretty good. This model says CHATR on it but it ships unlocked and works with PM.

@inagakimai  Take a look at the Sonim XP3 works on both 3G and 4G takes a nano SIM so u should be able to use the same sim card.

https://mobility.costco.ca/en/mobile-phones-and-smartphones/m1475216/sonim-xp3/

@inagakimai Many of the compatible flip phones will not have LTE.  While most fo the compatible devices that have the UMTS bands 2 and 5 will even work with text messaging and data services, the lack of LTE means that you will not be able to receive emergency alerts from the official system.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@inagakimai wrote:

Hello! 

Wondering if anyone has recommendations for getting a flip phone compatible with Public Mobile SIM. I currently have a Public Mobiel SIM for iPhone XR (the phone broke so I'm getting a flip for now) and would like to keep the same SIM since I do not want to change my phone number. I will most likely get an adapter for my flip, but any good flip phone recommendations? 

If you're coming from a "smart" phone then I would think you'd find going all the way back in time to a flip phone would be extremely limiting. If you type _anything_ you have to press digits multiple times. Back in the day people could fly at doing that but I thought it was completely ridiculous. Now people fly at one thumb typing on screens. Also impressive. But at least the typing is much more familiar for the rest of us used to a keyboard.

As a phone...fine. Touch tone dialing as it used to be called.

I would look at Staples or London Drugs for their cheap Android phones. <$100

At least you're still in the realm of something resembling a "smart" phone. OS notwithstanding.

And it's good ol' bricks & mortar with an easy return policy. Not waiting for stupid mail order. I'm on 4 weeks now with over half of that unchanged.

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

@inagakimai , how about this.  There's other options on Amazon, price about the same.  I assume you won't be choosy as this is a temporary thing.

https://www.amazon.ca/Ushining-Unlocked-Phones-Canada-Seniors/dp/B081MWNXZL

@will13am  ahh that's pretty and it has a ring like a cho cho train lol

@inagakimai , how about this.  There's other options on Amazon, price about the same.  I assume you won't be choosy as this is a temporary thing.

https://www.amazon.ca/Ushining-Unlocked-Phones-Canada-Seniors/dp/B081MWNXZL

inagakimai

Hello! 

Wondering if anyone has recommendations for getting a flip phone compatible with Public Mobile SIM. I currently have a Public Mobiel SIM for iPhone XR (the phone broke so I'm getting a flip for now) and would like to keep the same SIM since I do not want to change my phone number. I will most likely get an adapter for my flip, but any good flip phone recommendations? 

inagakimai

Awesome, thnak you!

inagakimai

Thank you for your reply! 

inagakimai

I haven't decided which flip phone to use, but how can I check that my SIM will be adaptable with my flip phone?

I will look into the Alcatel Go Flip, thank you for that. Are there any other flip phones that will be compatible with my current SIM?  

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@inagakimai 

The Altatel GO flip uses nano SIM if you need to buy a new flip phone.  My mother is using the GO flip on PM.  You do not need adapter for your nano SIM card.

Any older flip phone you need to use nano to micro adapter or mini adapter.  Some older Rogers flip phone support GSM(2G) only which cannot be used on PM because PM uses 3G for voice calls.

Which flip phone are your planning to use with your PM plan?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@inagakimai  Public Mobile sim cards are tri punch if you need to go from a smaller sim size to larger one for the flip phone then you can use the adapters that came with your sim card. If you don't have them just go to a retail store and ask them for one. They end up throwing them away anyway.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@inagakimai as long as its unlocked, compatible and the SIM fits. PM requires at  least 3G Frequencies 850 MHz, Band 5 (UMTS/ HSPA).1900MHz, Band 2 (UMTS/ HSPA).

The following ones allow you 4g LTE but are not required.

4G Frequencies 1700/ 2100 MHz AWS, Band 4 (LTE/ LTE Advanced).
                             700 MHz A/B/C/E, Band 12/13/17/29 (LTE/ LTE Advanced).

Stay safe.

@inagakimai wrote:

A question: Is it possible to switch my sim card from iphone XR to a flip phone? Do I need some sort of a sim adapter to do that? My iphone broke and I am thinking of using a flip phone as for now. However, I do not want to change my phone number. Thank you!

You need to ensure that the phone is compatible.  Many won't be compatible because of the lack of UMTS band 2 and 5 support.

Need Help? Let's chat.