Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to another phone

blakephilp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I am switching to another phone.

Specifically, I am switching from an LG Pheonix 4 to an LG G5.

I moved the SIM card over, but I cannot send or receive texts or calls, and I have no data.

Do I need to call the provider that the G5 was originally setup for, or is it something else that is the issue?

Thank you,

Blake

19 REPLIES 19

@blakephilp wrote:

...I am now back on my old phone, a LG Pheonix 4. I have given up on the LG G5.

Account status is active on self serve.

SIM card was in properly. I know because I took it out and it said 'no sim card' then I put it back in and the message went away.

I reset my Network Settings. Nothing changed.

MY APN is setup for Public Mobile.

In Self Service, I chose 'change my SIM card' and the last 4 digits do not match the last 4 digits on the sim card I have always used with this phone. That being said, I do not know how to check the sim card number (assuming its the number on the sim card itself).

You have been sim jacked.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/SIM-Swap-Fraud/m-p/650969

Log into self service and choose Change Sim Card. Compare the last 4 numbers to the sim in your phone to make sure you have not been sim jacked.

If they do not match put your phone in lost/stolen mode in self service and change the password. Secure and check all your financial accounts and change passwords including email accounts etc.

Contact a moderator to restore your services.

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

blakephilp

...I am now back on my old phone, a LG Pheonix 4. I have given up on the LG G5.

Account status is active on self serve.

SIM card was in properly. I know because I took it out and it said 'no sim card' then I put it back in and the message went away.

I reset my Network Settings. Nothing changed.

MY APN is setup for Public Mobile.

In Self Service, I chose 'change my SIM card' and the last 4 digits do not match the last 4 digits on the sim card I have always used with this phone. That being said, I do not know how to check the sim card number (assuming its the number on the sim card itself).

@blakephilp wrote:

I have called up Rogers, Bell, and Telus. None of them say they have the IMEI number for the LG G5 in their records.

I have since given up on the LG G5, so I would like to go back to my garbage LG Pheonix 4 (just so I have access), but now it's not working either!

What is your Account Status in self service? Try resetting your network settings. As well check your SIM card to ensure it is seated correctly. 

Also, in self service choose Change Sim Card and ensure the last 4 digits match the sim in your phone.

blakephilp

The IMEI is confirmed correct.

Maybe you don’t have the correct imei. Best way is this. https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/features/how-to-find-imei-number-of-any-phone-657072

The imei in this example will come electronically from mother board. Also you might get an unlock code from a eBay seller for $5. 

blakephilp

I have called up Rogers, Bell, and Telus. None of them say they have the IMEI number for the LG G5 in their records.

I have since given up on the LG G5, so I would like to go back to my garbage LG Pheonix 4 (just so I have access), but now it's not working either!

@blakephilp wrote:

Hello,

I have called the apparent provider that my brother was with, but they are saying that the IMEI number does not belong to a phone under that provider.

I have since given up, and gone back to my old phone, which now cannot send/receive texts or calls and does not have data.

I have no idea how to fix it. Someone please help.

Thanks,

Blake

Confirm the IMEI number and call your brothers provider again and hopefully a different rep will answer. If they say that phone does not belong to them try contacting the other provider in Canada ....Bell or Rogers.

blakephilp

Hello,

I have called the apparent provider that my brother was with, but they are saying that the IMEI number does not belong to a phone under that provider.

I have since given up, and gone back to my old phone, which now cannot send/receive texts or calls and does not have data.

I have no idea how to fix it. Someone please help.

Thanks,

Blake

@blakephilp yes if the lg G5 was from a carrier other than Telus or Koodo, you will have to call the previous provider to unlock the device

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@blakephilp :The problem is with your phone for sure, because of your SIM worked before in other phone and stopped working in certain phone - that means it that certain phone problem.

So, first just power off that certain phone and put in your SIM card then power on and see if it has any message about needing network unlock code or something - maybe phone locked to old company.

If not asking any codes, then problem in settings, go to settings try change it to choose Public Mobile.

blakephilp

The LG G5 was with a different carrier. I received it from a family member.

Do I need to contact the previous carrier?

@blakephilp...who was the previous cell provider on that phone. Could it still be locked to previous network ?

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@blakephilp You are just  transferring from one phone to another? or are you also porting from another carrier as well?

blakephilp

- I have factory reset and have reset the network settings

- I still cannot send/receive texts or calls, and I do not have access to data

Model number is LG-H831

blakephilp

- No I am not receiving/able to send any texts or calls. Text I sent keeps coming up periodically saying 'cannot be sent'. Phone says 'Emergency Calls Only'

- I mapped the APN settings to Public Mobile

- Figuring out how to Factory Reset. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all the quick help

Anonymous
Not applicable

@blakephilp : Can you post the specific submodel? There might be a model that was CDMA. Data will need the proper APN settings. But let's get it working for talk/text first.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@blakephilp wrote:

Hello,

I moved the SIM card over, but I cannot send or receive texts or calls, and I have no data.

Do I need to call the provider that the G5 was originally setup for, or is it something else that is the issue?

Thank you,

Blake

@blakephilp The phone has the necessary frequencies to work here. Does Public Mobile show up as the network you are connected to or are you getting an error? Try a network reset.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@blakephilp No, you do not need to tell PM about switching to a new phone. 
Try doing a network reset. If that does not work, some LG phones require factory reset to fix a similar issue. Be sure to back up all data before doing factory reset. 

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@blakephilp wrote:

Hello,

Thank you,

Blake

@blakephilp are you getting any messages? puk code? does anything work at all? 

Need Help? Let's chat.