cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching phones from apple to samsung

Jtk222
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

can I switch from and apple to a samsung and keep my phone number? 

If so, how?

thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jtk222 I'd recommend you check out these guides:

https://www.androidcentral.com/switching-iphone-android

https://www.androidauthority.com/switching-from-iphone-to-android-630665/

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@BEER wrote:

... you may regret switching from Apple to Samsung.

True, you may regret moving leaving Apple. 

Or, just as likely, you may regret not doing it sooner.

iOS and Android are both good. And both bad. I used to condemn Apple's multi-layered vendor lock-ins... but Google basically made Android grow up into almost exactly the same kind of nasty system Apple uses. Enjoy your toys and choose your evil. 

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Jtk222 wrote:

Hi,

If so, how?

thanks!

Of course you can. The type of phone has nothing to do with your cell number. However you may regret switching from Apple to Samsung.

Much of your iCloud stuff won't transfer over unless you can logon to your Apple ID thing on the non-iOS device.

So you might have to manually migrate everything you want to keep... third-party PC-based sync software like iCopyBot is a lot better for transferring stuff which iTunes tends to fence into Apple's ecosystem.

And, of course, you might have to do it all over again anytime you choose to switch back from Android to iOS. 

@geopublic wrote:

@Jtk222  The sim card that is in your phone controls your phone number, the carrier network to connect to and your plan. So you just have to move the sim card from the old phone to the new phone as others have already suggested.

If the sim size from the old phone does not fit in the new phone then if its a tri-punch sim card you can make the sim smaller, otherwise you will need to get a new PM sim card and do a change sim card number  via selfserve online account.

You can get a sim card adapter for cheap on amazon or about $5 at places like best buy or the source. Or if youre careful you can slip it in the original larger casing it came with....maybe a mobile shop or retailer or a friend will give you one. I saved mine in case I want to take it out of my dual SIM Samsung and back in my flip phone in case I need 2 working phones. It works fine you just have to be nimble.

Jtk222

Wow! Awesome, thanks everyone!

Guess I'll get a samsung 😁

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@Jtk222Make sure you have turned off your iMessage and also log out of your AppleID before you switch you should be okay.

patel_sk

Hello,

For sure you can. Like everyone else suggested it is as easy as changing the sim card.

However, if you are looking to transfer your contacts and other data as well there are apps available to transfer data from android to iphone.

also for contacts specific you can export a .csv file from android and import it through itunes but I would still recommend apps since it is more easy to learn and it does all the magic over wifi. Just google 'apps to transfer data from android to iphone' since there are number of good apps.

@Jtk222  The sim card that is in your phone controls your phone number, the carrier network to connect to and your plan. So you just have to move the sim card from the old phone to the new phone as others have already suggested.

If the sim size from the old phone does not fit in the new phone then if its a tri-punch sim card you can make the sim smaller, otherwise you will need to get a new PM sim card and do a change sim card number  via selfserve online account.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Jtk222  just get a Samsung phone and put your sim card in it, your number and plan are attached to your account /Sim  not the apple phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jtk222 wrote:

Hi,

If so, how?

thanks!

Move the SIM over.

brid0nca
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes.   You need to do swap out of the SIM card from the Apple device to the Samsung device.  To get to the SIM card on the Apple, you need to insert a pin in a hole to open up the SIM card holder.   Google will be more handy to find out how to do that.   Depending on the phone model, there are multiple avenues to accessing the Samsung SIM slot.  You will have to do a google search on your specific model.

I might add, if you go to Walmart on a quiet day, and are buying a SIM card from them, there is usually a CSR that can do that for you.

@Jtk222 wrote:

Hi,

If so, how?

thanks!

Need Help? Let's chat.