cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Switching from Samsung to iPhone 3gs

Hi, my Samsung died on me and I was given a working, unlocked iPhone 3 gs. I'd used it with various providers while travelling in Europe and South America and it worked just fine. But I get a "No Service" notice from Public. The phone returns my IMEI number and shows my PM phone number, so it is reading the SIM card, but not connecting to the network. I tried changing cellular settings but still no go. Any idea what I can do tto make it work? Thank you!

Mayor / Maire

Re: Switching from Samsung to iPhone 3gs

@Kikanada Can you please give us the specific model number from the back cover?

Also, please let us know if this device was ever used in North America before. If so, with what carrier?

Model number is A1303. It was used with Rogers but then unlocked before travelling abroad. 

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

That is a peculiar situation. I'm assuming you've tried to power off/on the phone a few times? It might be worth doing a reset of the phone as well. If you are certain that the SIM card is functional (as it worked with your previous phone), then it is probably a hardware issue. What exactly is showing up when you attempt to search for cell networks?

Mayor / Maire

@Kikanada Okay, so that model does support both 850 and 1900 MHz - Telus' 3G network frequencies (but 4G is not supported).

Have you checked to make sure the IMEI is not blocked on the PM network for some reason? You can do so here: http://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started

Once you make sure it's not blocked, the next step would be to run a manual network search on your phone and try to connect to the "Public Mobile" network. Post the result here and we'll take it from there.

Thank you @youbme . I powered it off and on twice and reset factory settings. When I go to Settings / Carrier / Network Selection, the Automatic function returns no results. In the Manual mode, it just keeps on searching, nothing pops up.

And my IMEI is not blocked, I checked on the Public website.

Mayor / Maire

@Kikanada wrote:

I powered it off and on twice and reset factory settings. When I go to Settings / Carrier / Network Selection, the Automatic function returns no results. In the Manual mode, it just keeps on searching, nothing pops up.

This is most definitely a phone (likely hardware) issue, since the problem is not just with latching on to the PM network - but the phone not seeing ANY wireless network in your area. I would take it to a nearby mobile phone repair facility to see what they have to say.

@7789849803 Ok Thank you!

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Unfortunately, I agree with @7789849803. It looks like something is wrong with the hardware (again, assuming the SIM card works fine in other phones). Hopefully it's an easy (and cheap) fix.