cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching Numbers

RileyLawson98
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I first acctivated my Public Mobile account last night, I tried using an old number and it seemed to work/go through when entering it into the system. But, when I checked what my number was in my settings on my device(iphone7) it was still the same number I was trying to get rid of. So, I used one of the random numbers instead because I couldn't keep using the same number. This morning I checked my account history and it showed that my previous number (the one I wanted to switch to) had been working that night before I switched to the random one. I really want my old number back, so I tried to switch back again and it now says it can't be used. I just want to know why it now says it can be used but was working before.

5 REPLIES 5

This sounds like custom number being ported, rather than your previously current number.  If that is the case, you're old number may have been reassigned to someone, and you may have started porting their number in.

this should not happen, but it has previously, and you would still not receive it as it would rightfully be returned to the person you scooped it from.

selectting the new number is probably the right course of action.

@RileyLawson98 wrote:

When I first acctivated my Public Mobile account last night, I tried using an old number and it seemed to work/go through when entering it into the system. But, when I checked what my number was in my settings on my device(iphone7) it was still the same number I was trying to get rid of. So, I used one of the random numbers instead because I couldn't keep using the same number. This morning I checked my account history and it showed that my previous number (the one I wanted to switch to) had been working that night before I switched to the random one. I really want my old number back, so I tried to switch back again and it now says it can't be used. I just want to know why it now says it can be used but was working before.

Sorry, but that was a huge mistake as Public Mobile ended up doing exactly what you requested.

The number dsiplayed on your phone actually does very little, and would not affect your service.  It is saved on your sim card and can be updated/pushed through the cellular network.

For your sake, I hope that the number porting wasn't complete. If incoming calls were not yet working, the number porting request had not yet been completed. If the number porting was complete, you actually gave up your right to keep that phone number.  Thankfully, phone numbers are not supposed to be reassigned to new customers right away.

I suggest trying your old carrier's sim card to see if it stil works. If it does, that means that number porting had not yet finished and you could try again.

@sandpublic wrote:

@RileyLawson98  By selecting a new number you basically released your ported number back to the original provider. Unfortunately that number is gone. Best to click ? type Moderator and submit a ticket to see if the moderator might be able to help you.

Good Luck!!

Sorry to be off topic, are you giving geo the rest of the month off?  Smiley Tongue

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@RileyLawson98  By selecting a new number you basically released your ported number back to the original provider. Unfortunately that number is gone. Best to click ? type Moderator and submit a ticket to see if the moderator might be able to help you.

Good Luck!!

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@RileyLawson98You can only change your phone number every 30 days. I don't think it is something even the moderators can over ride. Howver I would suggest you contact the moderators via SIMon by clicking on the lower right hand corner. Good luck.

Need Help? Let's chat.