cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch current sim card to new phone

Gibson
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Have a quick question,

I currently have a phone with the public mobile sim card. If I bought another phone to replace this one I currently have, is there anything I would have to do to switch the sim card to the new phone, or would it just switch over and begin working like normal?

6 REPLIES 6

hlu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Gibson,

You may have to set up APN on your new phone after start up new phone with your current sim by follow instruction in the link below, this will enabled your data plan on the new phone. If you don't do this step you still can make call but may not have data on the PM network. This step is very easy, just take couple minutes then you on your way:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-set-up-data-APN-on-my-smartp...

Enjoy you new phone!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

There may also be a need to check/add the proper APN settings.  APN settings is covered in this knowledge base article.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-to-Activate/ta-p/251824

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Gibson wrote:

Have a quick question,

I currently have a phone with the public mobile sim card. If I bought another phone to replace this one I currently have, is there anything I would have to do to switch the sim card to the new phone, or would it just switch over and begin working like normal?

Just because you haven't said if it was a brand new phone or new to you make sure that it is unlocked or has been used on Telus/Koodo network.  You can get phones unlocked for free but buying second hand might cause a bit of a hassle tracking it all down on who to contact.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Gibson just switch it over, pls make sure your new phone work with PM.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You should be able to pop sim into now phone no issues.

The only issue is if your phone sim slot is smaller or bigger in new phone vs old phone.  Most pm sims in past  2 years have been triple punch. So going smaller should not be an issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gibson wrote:

Have a quick question,

Just switch it over.

Check willmyphonework.net first though. You need to make sure the phone is compatible.

Need Help? Let's chat.