cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super low cost smartphone at Costco

DH8Driver
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello Everyone,

For those bargain hunters out there that like saving as much as possible on their cell phones I found a great deal on a great phone that works well on the Public Mobile Network.

Costco has the Motorollo Moto G5 by Lonovo on sale at Costco locations for $150:+ tax. For those of you who need a new phone that don't want to pay $800+ dollars on a smart phone.

I bought one, and yes it is not quite as good as my $1000 Pixel it replaced, but it's not $850 worse. It's a very good phone by most people's standards, especially bargain hunters. 

Check it out! 

*Disclaimer I am in no way affiliated with Costco, just want to help any bargain hunters out!

6 REPLIES 6

@CurtisD64 wrote:

I would offer a second choice to this thread and it is available at several retailers. The ASUS ZENFONE series, In particular the ZENFONE 3 was easily the best unlocked smartphone I've ever purchased.  It was super tough ( I work construction and end up smashing my phones on a regular basis) withstanding cruel punishment such as falling out of my car (long story ) at 80 km/h onto the highway and besides a few deep gouges in the edges of the metal case and a cracked screen, continued to work for the rest if the summer before falling out of my pocket into a hole being hydrovac'd and sucked up into the truck, lost forever.

I bought mine at Staple's for $200 and their no questions asked return policy is unbeatable 

I would say that Asus over the past few years has produced a bunch of pretty good entry to mid level devices.  However, I believe that some of the Asus models' software has been called iinto question when it comes to updates to Android 8.1 and whether or not data services would work (due to APN setting lockouts).

Staples, Costsco, and Walmart all do have very good return policies and all do sell unlocked cell phones that do work at Public Mobile.  Amazon also has a bunch, but I do see some more models that aren't compatible with Public Mobile (especially from third party sellers).  In addition, even when purchasing directly from Amazon, the return policy itself is pretty good.  However, sometimes Amazon does charge a return shipping fee if you tell them you're returning the phone because you changed your mind or don't need it any more.

CurtisD64
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I would offer a second choice to this thread and it is available at several retailers. The ASUS ZENFONE series, In particular the ZENFONE 3 was easily the best unlocked smartphone I've ever purchased.  It was super tough ( I work construction and end up smashing my phones on a regular basis) withstanding cruel punishment such as falling out of my car (long story ) at 80 km/h onto the highway and besides a few deep gouges in the edges of the metal case and a cracked screen, continued to work for the rest if the summer before falling out of my pocket into a hole being hydrovac'd and sucked up into the truck, lost forever.

I bought mine at Staple's for $200 and their no questions asked return policy is unbeatable 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407 wrote:

correct me if im wrong, u can use pc points for the phone too i believe

@slash407 PC points at Costco? I doubt it.

@DH8Driver wrote:

Costco has the Motorollo Moto G5 by Lonovo on sale at Costco locations for $150:+ tax. For those of you who need a new phone that don't want to pay $800+ dollars on a smart phone.

@DH8Driver yeah the G-series are very capable and respected entry-to-mid-level family of phones for sure.  The G5 is a generation old now and the G7 is just around the corner, but for someone with basic needs this is a great device.  I bought my mother a G5 Plus last Christmas and it's great.  I don't recall the differences at the moment between the Plus and regular G5 but I'm thinking for a buck-fifty, it's a definite bargain winner!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@DH8Driver, thanks for the suggestion.  Budget service and budget phone go well together. 

mcs11
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@DH8Driver wrote:

Hello Everyone,

For those bargain hunters out there that like saving as much as possible on their cell phones I found a great deal on a great phone that works well on the Public Mobile Network.

I bought one, and yes it is not quite as good as my $1000 Pixel it replaced, but it's not $850 worse. It's a very good phone by most people's standards, especially bargain hunters. 

Check it out! 

*Disclaimer I am in no way affiliated with Costco, just want to help any bargain hunters out!

I'm not in the market for a new phone, but I know a few people who are. Will point them in Costco's direction. My spouse has an older Moto G and has been happy with it. Thanks for this!

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@DH8Driver, thanks for the recommendation, might be something I'll check out for a friend.  Great use of the disclaimer, lol. Smiley LOL

Need Help? Let's chat.