cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions?

David01
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I bought a phone from ebay. The ad states its factory unlocked, however, in the ad details it states it's not unlocked. Does Public Mobile offer an unlocking service, like other companies, or am I going to have to pay to get it unlocked?..

6 REPLIES 6

@turboron wrote:

If it's from a Canadian carrier, call that carrier and have them unlock the phone. They have to unlock phones upon request. Either that, or go onto their online chat and have them unlock the phone. I have personally done this with no issues with different carriers.

@turboronNo, they don't "have" to. The new law states "They canno't CHARGE you to do it" but that doesn't mean they "have" to.

While they may do it, most carriers will have requirements consisting of the phone not only has to be purchased from them, but it has to be purchased by YOU personally. You have to prove your identity, and the account it was originally purchased on needs to still be active and in good standing.

turboron
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If it's from a Canadian carrier, call that carrier and have them unlock the phone. They have to unlock phones upon request. Either that, or go onto their online chat and have them unlock the phone. I have personally done this with no issues with different carriers.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@David01 wrote:

I bought a phone from ebay. The ad states its factory unlocked, however, in the ad details it states it's not unlocked. Does Public Mobile offer an unlocking service, like other companies, or am I going to have to pay to get it unlocked?..

@David01Does the item say "no returns" or "30 day returns" ? Was it "free shipping" and "free returns" if so, click doesn't match description. even tho it does technically say its not unlocked, it says unlocked in the title. I would say "Item in title says unlocked so I bought it and feel mislead" eBay will let you return an item literally for any reason. You can even just say "changed my mind".

If the seller pays all the shipping fees 99.9% of the time they will make you an offer to keep the item, or "try to make it right" by finding an unlock code / getting it unlocked for you. It's in their best interest to do it. They lose money on not only the shipping costs but they risk you sending them back the item damaged / missing even if you stick a rock (of equal weight) and keep the phone they will still refund in the buyers favor as long as shipment is confirmed delivered to the address. (Only so many times of course, and I have NEVER done this, but had it done to me once and i lost and heard of it happening to other sellers) and they need to go through the process of re-listing, finding a new buyer and risking the same thing over plus you can leave negative feedback + 1 star

Put in the request with eBay, and have the seller work hard to convince you to keep the item, or return it and get a better deal on an actual unlocked phone (and get one during a bonus box or sitewide or tech sale)

I have been a long time buyer (~400 purchases in the last year) and seller (For a while- a "powerseller") on eBay. Using it since 1999

Ask the seller which carrier it was purchased from so that you know where to start.  Some phones in stock when the rules changed in Dec 2017 may have been unlocked at the carrier prior to sale but may have locked to the first SIM entered due to pre-loaded configurations of the manufacturer.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@David01 wrote:

A lot of the manufacturers you can contact directly and they will send an unlock code.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Public can only unlock telus phones. 

Need Help? Let's chat.