cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly I can't place calls...

MelSereda
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm using an Essential PH-1 and suddenly today I can't place any calls, even to my own voicemail!  Calls just drop before even attempting to ring.  I'm on the west coast.  Anyone else experiencing this?

14 REPLIES 14

@stonechucker wrote:

Have you setup your APN file correctly?  Public Mobile doesn't auto load the APN setting like many other charriers.  There's a knowledge base article you can look at for more information.

Of course Public Mobile doesn't auto load the APN, the phone does that.  Android has a APN configuration file in the system partition which it looks up to see if there is a match to the SIM card installed in the phone.  If there are multiple potential matches, these are presented and the user is required to select one of the possible matches.  If the user doesn't select one, a default is used.  Where there is only one possible matching APN, then there is no need for the user to select anything.  The situation you are referring to has to do with carrier phones where the carrier butchers the APN configuration file and deletes everything from it, leaving a single APN that works on their network only.  Since Public Mobile does not sell phones, the likelihood of having a matching APN from carrier phone is slim to none.  Since you run a Nexus 5, your phone should have a full featured APN configuration file.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I will say my bit even though the issue is marked as solved.  Credit to @computergeek541 for isolating the issue.  Because the PH(one) is a world phone, there are a ton of options to select for preferred network type, some selections like Global, CDMA which is foreign to cell phones for the Canadian market.  The correct selection is 4G/LTE preferred.  I believe if nothing is selected, a fresh new phone has none of the radio buttons selected and the phone auto selects. 

With respect to APNs, the stock APN is greyed is always greyed out.  You cannot edit a built in APN taken from the APN configuration file.  The PH(one) being a stock android device that is not butchered by the carriers has a complete set of APNs for practically every carrier in the world.  There should be no need to do anything with the APN settings.  The default should be fine.  If making a new APN is needed for whatever reason, select new and type away. 

@mimmo wrote:

You could try booting phone in recovery mode. Press power button. Then long  press  power off on screen.

Last week my ph1 had no audio when calling. Had to do a factory reset to fix... Not saying that is the route to go but sometimes things go haywire.

I would not try to squish a tiny bug with a big sledge hammer.  Sometimes closing the offending app, clearing cache, maybe deleting app data and restarting is enough.  I don't recall the last time that I did a factory reset (delete user partition) except to flash a major android build. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MelSereda wrote:

I was looking at APN settings to try to resolve that annoying notification.  On my phone, the APN settings are greyed out, preventing me from making any modifications.  So I'm not sure where to go next?

@MelSereda weird that they are greyed out.  @will13am @ShawnC13 I believe you gents have PH-1's like Mel does.  Have you ever run into APN settings being greyed out?  I'm not sure what to suggest here--maybe network reset?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

MelSereda

I was looking at APN settings to try to resolve that annoying notification.  On my phone, the APN settings are greyed out, preventing me from making any modifications.  So I'm not sure where to go next?

Have you setup your APN file correctly?  Public Mobile doesn't auto load the APN setting like many other charriers.  There's a knowledge base article you can look at for more information.

MelSereda

Thanks for the advice, I'm still getting used to Android after converting from Apple.  It's possible I've toggled through those settings in an attempt to get rid of these annoying "Sign in to network" notifications I get ALL THE TIME and caused another issue for myself.

This is a longshot because you would almost certainly remember going through these settings, but I would check to see if the network settings have mistakenly been changed to an LTE-only mode.  Such a setting would prevent phone calls but still allow text messages to come through. 

MelSereda

Changed to 3G and just tried a test call to my voicemail and it connected!

mimmo

You could try booting phone in recovery mode. Press power button. Then long  press  power off on screen.

Last week my ph1 had no audio when calling. Had to do a factory reset to fix... Not saying that is the route to go but sometimes things go haywire.

closng
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @MelSereda,

Since you cannot test the SIM on a different phone, I would try the following in the meantime to see if it helps:

1. Take you the SIM and re-insert it into your phone

2. Toggle your network settings to 3G only and try a test call 

If you still have the old SIM card insert, you can tape your nano SIM to the bigger profile SIM template and insert it into the other phone.

MelSereda

Good suggestion, however I don't think I can due to different SIM card sizes.

The phone has been working great since recent activation with Public Mobile, just noticed this issue today and apparently last night someone tried calling and couldn't get through.

mimmo

Are you able to put your sim in a different phone. This will isolate account vs hardware issues.

MelSereda

I have tried restarting the phone several times.  Account is up to date.  Can confirm that I can still send and receive text messages however.

Need Help? Let's chat.