cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck on 4G instead of LTE+

potatodespot
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

I've recently switched from Telus with a Samsung S7 and my phone has been mainly connecting to 4G and rarely LTE+. I have the APN all set correctly and network mode includes automatic LTE/WCDMA/GSM. I've tried shutting down and restarting the phone, wiping the cache, factory reset, removing the SIM and reinserting. On the Telus network I got LTE+ all the time. While with Public its 4g for about 90% of the time and LTE+ for 10%. If I have LTE+ and restart my phone or put into airplane mode, when it comes out its 4g again. Seems like it sometimes randomly goes to LTE+. Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6

waddling

They are pretty much the same thing, have a look here for a good explanation.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-differences-between-4G-LTE-LTE+-and-LTE-Advanced

Speed is of course affected by all sorts of factors including your surroundings (concrete, fluorescent lights...). Something more important to consider is that unless you're doing a lot of large file download you aren't going to actually see a difference. If you're downloading an email of your Facebook page you're not going to see any difference in speed. It's more likely that environmental conditions will have a greater effect on download speed than LTE+/4G.

Moral of the story, don't sweat it.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@potatodespot wrote:

I'm getting 5mb/s download speed on 4g vs the 20+ mb/s when I do manage to connect to LTE+. There's clearly a big difference between the two.

@potatodespotIs this with full bars? If so, there is something wrong with your phone because for myself, even without LTE+ (just regular old LTE), I get 60mbps. Some others on here with newer phones and LTE+ get 100+mbps. Or are you referring to MB/s?

EDIT: now that I come to think of it, I think you are referring to MB/s (Megabytes/second) not mb/s (megabits per second)

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@potatodespot I'd suggest you private message the @CS_Agent and ask them to send you a new SIM card, as indicated by the solution on the thread you linked.  Since there were no further updates, I would presume that means the issue was resolved by a new SIM card.  

To contac them, you will need to click here to send a private message to the @moderator_team for assistance. They are Public Mobile support employees who can help with your issue.

In your message please include:

• PM account email address
  • PM phone number
  • Detailed explanation

Note: Community Moderators are available from Mon-Thursday 9am to 9pm, and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [All times in Toronto/Montreal time zone]. You can message them at any time, and they will respond as soon as possible within those working hours. More information about the community moderators.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

potatodespot

potatodespot

I'm getting 5mb/s download speed on 4g vs the 20+ mb/s when I do manage to connect to LTE+. There's clearly a big difference between the two.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

LTE and 4G often are used interchably. As PM customer your phone is connecting to the Telus LTE network whenever it's available and the phone settings allow it, dropping to 3G for calls.

Depending on the phone it might show only "4G" or "LTE" or "LTE+" or it might change the displayed service depending on which frequency band it connects to.

Need Help? Let's chat.