cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound cuts in and out while talking or listening on cell phone.

SMacK1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is a recent issue that started about a week ago. This happens most but not all of the time.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Nezgar Thanks for the tip!!

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Use this echo test service to help troubleshoot:

226 244 4444

Test the realtime echo test after the initial recording test as well - try with normal audio, speakerphone, external earphones with 3.5mm jack if you have one, and with Bluetooth.

Also test if it improves when you are outside to help narrow down if its potentially a signal strength issue in your home, or in the general area...

@SMacK1

FYI to respond to another member in particular or tag them just tap the "@" key and a box will pop up with members names to tap or keep typing til the name you want pops up.

The issue does sound device related by @softech 's research but you could stlll try toggling airplane mode on/off in case you have a poor connection to the network

. Take a look at your microphone and see if its collecting dust or debris. Clean carefully with a cotton swab or similar tool and a little rubbing alcolhol ( barely damp) or use compressed air.

With what could be a moto problem try turning the speaker phone on/off quickly to see if it improves the voice quality. Test both when taking a regular call and when using the speakerphone for the call.

@SMacK1  do you have a case for your phone?  If so, try to remove it.

you might want to also try to boot up your Moto to Safe mode and try out couple calls.  A person has a similar issue with Moto G Power, Safe mode fixed the issue.   When the phone is in Safe mode, other 3rd party apps are not loaded, so, it meant the phone have some 3rd party apps causing the issue

To boot into safe mode:

https://www.hardreset.info/devices/motorola/motorola-moto-g-fast/safe-mode/

The speakerphone issue seems to be common on G Power.  There is no fix to them yet, but Motorola might have bring this issue onto G fast as well

https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoG/comments/ik1dj0/moto_g_power_2020_speakerphone_mic_issue/

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@SMacK1

I have a different model phone but sometimes my sound does cut off when I am using speaker with some people only. The person I speak to when doing this is someone that also likes to cut people off when they are talking and is not very attentive either lol

@SMacK1   is it possible you try it on other voice communication app like whatscapp voice call or Facebook voice calls? 

I understand you said YouTube does not have the problem but YouTube does not use the speaker.   Try to see if you can arrange some app voice calling to confirm it it is phone issue or if it is PM.

SMacK1

Thank you for your message.

When talking on the phone I typically use the phone's speaker (hands free). I have to speak closely and directly into the phone's microphone for the person on the other end to hear me clearly. (By "listening" I meant listening to a caller on the other end using the phone's speaker. There is no problem hearing music or YouTube videos.)  There are times when the other caller is talking and suddenly that person's voice cuts out, then in, then out... Frustrating.

Re-starting the phone does not help.

Thanks very much for your help.

SMacK1

Thank you for your detailed solution. My husband has the same phone as I do and is having the same problem, but not quite as bad as my phone.  We both removed, cleaned and replaced our SIM cards, which temporarily improved phone performance, but later in the day, the problem returned.  

SMacK1

Thanks for your reply. My husband has the same phone and he is having the same problem. We both cleaned and re-installed our SIM cards, and this seemed to have solved the problem until a few hours later when it started happening again.

SMacK1

Sorry for the delay in responding. My cell phone is a Motorola Moto G Fast. I live in Waterloo, Ontario.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@SMacK1 in addition to @darlicious's question about your phone:  when you say "listening", do you mean listening to the other person talking while on phone calls, or do you mean when listening to music/videos/etc?  Are you "listening" on the phone's speaker(s), or through wired headphones, or bluetooth headset/speaker?  We need more details here to even start trying to help.

EDIT: and most important question/suggestion: have you tried restarting your phone?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

can you do try reseat the SIM card

1.power off your device

2.take out the SIM card,

3.wipe it clean,

4.put it back and power on,

5.toggling airplane mode off/on,  

it happened sometime you know, A normal reboot without reset, didn't work. At least try it,

only work after reseating the SIM card.

can you try it selecting the network to "3G ONLY"

for iPhone visit HERE 

or HERE 

for android visit HERE ,

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on.

Good Luck

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@SMacK1 wrote:

This is a recent issue that started about a week ago. This happens most but not all of the time.

Thanks

@SMacK1 

To rule out your phone, are you able to try your SIM into another compatible device and see if the issue persists?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@SMacK1 

What is the make and model of your phone? What is your location? (City/town?)

Need Help? Let's chat.