cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some Messenger responses not coming through

Ihanrath
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My phone is two and a half year old and a month ago I started not receiving responses from three of my contacts. Most contacts work fine but these three don't. One was my son-in law to announce the birth of his son when I was watching their daughter at home!! I have rebooted my phone and also have deleted these contacts and put them back in. Wondering if this is a phone or provider issue? Or is it a problem with the phone of the sender? 

Anyone else with a similar problem??? If so, any solutions??

23 REPLIES 23

Ihanrath

Thanks to all for your good suggestions. When suddenly more people's responses started dropping I bought a new phone. Strange thing was that everything transferred to the new phone with no trouble at all except the contacts from who I wasn't receiving any replies. Happy all is fixed.

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Ihanrath ....

You say the phone is 2.5 yrs old, was it brand new when you got it?

What version of android are you running in it?

Did you try restarting the texting app?

Clear the cache?

The last thing I would try is doing a factory reset. This will wipe out everything. It might help might not. Do it at your own risk.

Ihanrath

Yes, they text to other android users.

Ihanrath

I have shut down and restarted my phone. Reset networks like you suggested. Downloaded another messenger like someone else suggested and still there are issues....

I think you might be right that it could be the model or age of their phone. Funny that they can receive my messages but I don't receive their replies?? Might also be my phone as it is considered a "light" phone (Whatever that means - wording that Koodo used)

Thanks for your help in troubleshooting.

@Ihanrath hmmm.. maybe an update on their iPhones changed a setting and is preventing them from messaging you. its most likely an issue on their end. 

are you the only android user in the group? can they text to other Android users?

contact customer support mods to reset your sim network on their end

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

Ihanrath

You also asked about the providers of the three contacts in question. Funny two of them are with Public Mobile and third with Bell but they all have an older model iPhone.

Ihanrath

It is a Q6 Android LG phone. Has never given me any problems til a month ago.

@Ihanrath search for Google messages app under Google LLC

what is the make and model of the device?

It is a Q6 Android LG phone. Has never given me any problems til a month ago.

what are the providers of the 3 contacts you can't message?

did you reset your network settings?

• open settings
  • scroll down to "restart & reset"
  • tap "network settings reset"
  • tap "reset settings" and tap again to confirm
  • then restart the device

Ihanrath

Good thought but not blocked. Thanks

Ihanrath

I am using microsoft. You are the first person that thought of it being the app so I looked up reviews of this app and noticed similar problems. Do you have a suggestion for a better one?

I see that Messenger SMS & MMS is higher rated. Do you know anything about that one?

Thanks

Rose25

@Ihanrath 

Hi, just check the message settings to see if you have blocked those contacts by accident

Ihanrath

Hello,

Just the one that came with the phone. Thanks

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Ihanrath What messaging app are you using, or is it just the one that came with the phone?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Ihanrath

he there,

So I tried this and it didn't work either. I am super confused what this could be caused by.

Thanks for your reply.

Ihanrath

I will try this but will have to wait for testing as contact in different time zones. Thanks.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ihanrath wrote:

My phone is an LG (android type). I do know that one of my contacts is an iphone so you might be on the right track. I will have to check with the other contacts. Strange that for a long time I have received their messages and suddenly I don't receive them. They all do receive my messages.

For a quick test, ask the iPhone owner to disable iMessage to determine whether you can receive text messages to and from your LG phone.

Also test your PM SIM card in another known working phone to eliminate hardware issue with your phone.

@Ihanrath wrote:

I have done this and it has not resolved the problem but thanks for replying.

@Ihanrath  Go into the APP settings select Messages and clear the cache then chose force stop. Restart your phone and test again.

Ihanrath

My phone is an LG (android type). I do know that one of my contacts is an iphone so you might be on the right track. I will have to check with the other contacts. Strange that for a long time I have received their messages and suddenly I don't receive them. They all do receive my messages.

Ihanrath

I have done this and it has not resolved the problem but thanks for replying.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Ihanrath  I suspect the problem is related to your conversations history with those three contacts. If you don't mind try deleting those conversations and see if it fixes the issue.

Ihanrath

Thanks for your reply.

There is no "general" setting in my settings. Could it be called something else?

When I go into "mobile data", I do see that my messenger uses very little data. I have everything unblocked so am thinking it is not that.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ihanrath wrote:

My phone is two and a half year old and a month ago I started not receiving responses from three of my contacts. Most contacts work fine but these three don't. One was my son-in law to announce the birth of his son when I was watching their daughter at home!! I have rebooted my phone and also have deleted these contacts and put them back in. Wondering if this is a phone or provider issue? Or is it a problem with the phone of the sender? 

Anyone else with a similar problem??? If so, any solutions??

What phone are use by you and these 3 contacts?

If iPhone and Android phone are involve, the iPhone iMessage settings need to change. 

iPhone Settings for iOS 12.4.5
Under iPhone Messages settings:
iMessage = enabled

SMS/MMS
MMS Messaging = enabled
Group Messaging = enabled
All other Messages settings are disabled

How do you know what message type you are sending or receiving on iPhone?
Messages with green bubbles are normal SMS/MMS text messages.
Message with blue bubbles are sent via the iMessage

Mattredwingsfan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Ihanrath 

no, I don't think it's a common problem. usually the users device needs troubleshooting. resetting the network settings and restarting the phone removes any conflicting information stored from other sim cards and a fresh start on the new network

1. From the home screen navigate to Settings>General>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings
If prompted enter your passcode
3. Tap Reset Network Settings
4. Restart your phone

Give it try and good luck

Need Help? Let's chat.