cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some Contacts Not Being Registered by Sim Card

NerdAlert57
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Some of my older contacts transferred from my old phone are able to send and receive messages and calls from/to my new phone, however, no new contacts are able to, and many old contacts are still unable to send/receive messages and calls from/to me. Additionally, my mobile data will work perfectly fine at times, then will proceed to stop working entirely.

42 REPLIES 42

NerdAlert57

It was actually closed, and I had to reopen it briefly to transfer my number, so I wasn't paying anything 🙂

@NerdAlert57   glad it is working now... Also, you should be glad that your old account is finally closed, if not , you would be still paying for 2 carriers on the same number.

@NerdAlert57 

Well you left that nugget today about a new sim card and the rest is history!

NerdAlert57

Haha I guess it's just a lack of provided information on my part.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. 4 pages of a conversation about contacts and it turns out to be a simple porting issue. Amazing how unknowingly using certain kinds of language can lead down a whole other garden path.

@NerdAlert57 

Well I'm to hear its been sorted but perchance you wanted to choose the post above the one you chose as the solution? If so click on the three dots in the top right corner of your original post to unchoose the solution you picked and you can choose another one.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NerdAlert57 : Great news. Maybe you could change the solution to the post just prior from the same person so that future readers can make sense of the right answer. Click on the 3 dots to the upper right of the solution post and then undo the solution and go up to the prior post and click Accept as solution.

NerdAlert57

Turns out I never got the text to transfer my number from my old service provider because it was sent to my "dead" phone. Everything is good now! I got my old service provider to properly transfer the number. Thank you all for the help.

@NerdAlert57 

I don't know how tech savvy you are but this is suggested for your phone....

I would recommend applying for a bootloader unlock as soon as you unbox it even if you are keeping the stock firmware. It will take 7 days to complete so get that out of the way. 

Not the most tech friendly but what would be the main reasons for this. I see that you are able to do custom roms or something like that? Yes Is this done for performance or security reasons? Yes

If you choose to do this it takes 168 hours to complete and factory resets the phone when done.

If you don't want to do flash a custom ROM and just use the stock MIUI out of the box, would suggest you look into using the Xiaomi ADB/Fastboot Tools to uninstall all the ad tracking and unnecessary bloatware. The instructions can be found at the XDA developers thread here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guid ... t.4169497/

Just an FYI if you want to learn all about your phone and stuff....otherwise just use it the way it came.

@NerdAlert57 

Aha....so you activated your sim card and ported in your number. Who was your previous provider? Were you able to reply YES to the porting authorization text sent to you within 90 minutes of recieving it? Is your old account still active? I believe your number has not ported. You will have to reinitiate your port request thru the moderators or by calling the telus porting department. I will private message you the number.

NerdAlert57

I just created this account. I wasn't using Public Mobile before.

@NerdAlert57 

You mention you just purchased this sim card and it has not been in any other phone. Did you swap sim cards in your account?

@NerdAlert57   

Sound like this issue is not resolved yet and you have not opened a ticket with mod.

this is how to engage Mod and have them to confirm if any issue with provisioning/activation

(After you open a ticket with mod, please monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right.  Mod will communicate with you via messaging within Community)

1. For faster response (2 to 48 hours), Click on the bubble in the lower right corner and request moderator assistance, or you can also use this direct link instead https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot. Start with typing "Submit a ticket", click on "Contact Us", click on "Other" from the choices, click "Click here to submit a ticket" then Follow the prompts to submit a ticket.

2. Or you can Send a private message to the moderator here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

NerdAlert57

I just purchased this sim card so it hasn't been moved between any devices. I have only placed it in this current phone. I will try the contacts reset and get back to you.

Not sure a ticket with the PM Mods will accomplish anything since it seems like the problem is specific to the phone, not to the account or the network. Though I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

I'm guessing the problem has something to do with the particular "SIM Toolkit" options provided by the phone's software. Contacts can be stored in the phone flash or they can be stored in the SIM flash (or they can be stored on both), and they can be prioritized or locked/unlocked in a variety of different ways. It seems like every manufacturer, every model, and every Android OS variant reinvents a new spin on the same old wheel, there's no real standard and there's no real documentation for these features. But if you migrate your SIM card from one device to another then you can encounter problems.

The simplest solution - if you can't find some kind of software option which fixes it - is to write down all your contacts, then delete them all from the device and delete them all from the SIM, then input them all back from scratch. It's a chore, and it's overkill brute force instead of elegant and clever efficiency - but it will solve the problem.

Another solution would be to install a different app to manage your contacts, dialing, and SMS/MMS stuff. Like Signal SMS. This might magically gather all your contacts into one central software umbrella and make everything "just work" nicely. But it might also force dependency on that particular app (which may or may not work the same way on any future devices you'll use). It might even make things worse by making the user interface look and work seamlessly while making the contacts chaos under the hood into an even worse mess.

NerdAlert57

Not sure what you mean by opening a ticket with a mod. How would I go about that?

@NerdAlert57   thanks for providing the update.

Sound like a porting or activation issue. Have you open a ticket with the mod yet??  please do so if you have not done yet.

NerdAlert57

New info here. I can text some people, and can receive texts from some people as well. These people vary and not everyone that receives my messages can reply, and I do not receive messages from everyone that gets my messages. I can freely call everyone I have tried so far, but when someone calls me, they get a voice saying that my number "does not exist". Maybe there was an issue from transferring my phone number to my new phone?

@NerdAlert57 

After some research this seems to be not so much an issue with your contacts but a software issue that may have been compounded by the factory reset if you were then prompted to update to the latest version of your OS. What version of Android OS is now on your phone?

You have a calling issue. Try troubleshooting with the following for your calling...

1. As mentioned by @fujiyama disable volte. Settings>>network>>mobile network>>voLTE
  2. If you can make or recieve a call and you recieve silence turn speakerphone on/off.
  3. Turn wifi off. Does your call go thru? Can you recieve calls? 
  4. Turn wifi and mobile data off. Can you make and/or recieve calls?
  5. Force your phone to use 3G only. Can you make and/or recieve calls?

For your SMS issue.... which has been completely disabled by the factory reset is most likely due to your updated OS. Can you send/recieve MMS? Turn off chat features if possible. What is your messaging app? And your default messaging app? The easiest solution is first but it seems from reading many temporary work arounds is.....if it works?

1. You may be able to just change your default messaging app by choosing one better suited for your model of phone.
  2. Or others have suggested......The problem is existing only when the VOLTE service is enabled. Try to move on 3G only or just stop Volte under 4G and it will be ok. Unfortunately Xiaomi are using some specific technology for volte sms sending and the your network provider does not support it. The phone is trying to send SMS through SS7 instead of SIP protocol when VoLTE is enabled. I'm trying to find a hidden menu where I can eventually switch or choose a protocol but without success.
  3. Lastly there is.....My solution was to reflash the phone with the original global firmware version 12.0.8.0, before flashing an alternative OS. Now the phone receives SMS.

Otherwise all other solutions to fix both issues simutaneously involves another factory reset, going into your developers options and bootloading a custom ROM and eliminating bloatware....then I start lose track with all the tech talk. If that's your thing that you tackle that with maybe some help here but read up on it here....

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-miui-surya-xiaomi-eu-rom-for-poco-x3-nfc.4165247/page-2

Otherwise going that guy/gal at cell phone repair kiosk or shop that has the know how and expertise to perform this kind of tech magic for a fee may be the best choice.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Try to disable "Use VoLTE" under SIM card settings. Also check if you can see a "Use GSM alphabet" setting in your messaging app, disable that too.

(Message > settings > additional settings) 

@NerdAlert57    let get more information now, get you make outgoing calls or receive incoming?

NerdAlert57

I did a factory reset only to now realize that I cannot text anybody anymore or receive any text messages from anybody.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NerdAlert57 

please visit HERE  or  HERE  is will help you try it .

@NerdAlert57  check if Chat feature is on, if so, disable it

in the Messager app (.. > Settings >Chat features) , turn it off if it is current on

then try sending text again

NerdAlert57

I think it's a single sim. POCO X3 Pro

@NerdAlert57  is your phone a dual sim phone? 

What kind of Xiaomi poco phone is that?  they have X2, X3, F...

Anonymous
Not applicable

again i suggest you to do factory reset for your phone.

your issue is not with public mobile SIM card. your issue with your device,

NerdAlert57

I tried again and the call went through to both an old and new contact. Messages are still not cooperating though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

can you check your software update , if is up to date , is issue with your new device

my original posts,to you  check it out.

@NerdAlert57 wrote:

When I do that and press "call", the phone automatically sees that the number belongs to one of my contacts and displays the contact name during the call.

.. and the call still failed?

just for testing, can you delete that one entry on your contact and test dial manually after.

Need Help? Let's chat.