cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim pin not working?

Maxs_mom
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just successfully (or so I thought) activated my sim and the lock pin isn't working and now its asking me for a PUK code.  It occurred to me that the phone may not be unlocked.  Could this have been the issue?

15 REPLIES 15

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Here is an explanation by one of the Oracles, Luddite.

SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK." is asking for the phone’s (often Samsung) “master code" after entering the wrong code too many times. Samsung and/or your previous carrier can give you this.

"SIM network unlock PIN" is asking for your previous carrier's unlock code - just contact them with your IMEI and they'll give it to you. If you enter this incorrectly too many times, you'll get the error message above.

“PIN unlock key (PUK)” is a SIM-specific code used to prevent unauthorised use of a SIM card. 

The PIN (Personal Identification Number) enables secure access to the SIM card and network. It is provided with your SIM card. 

• If the PIN code is entered incorrectly 3 times, the phone is locked (except for emergency calls) and requires a PUK (Personal Unlock Key) to reactivate it.

• Once the PUK is recovered and validated, you will be asked to choose a new PIN.

• Only Public Mobile's moderators can give you this type of code, which the device manufacturer cannot. Public Mobile's moderators can be contacted at the following address: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

• Caution! If the PUK is entered incorrectly ten times in a row, the SIM card becomes unusable.

Maxs_mom

Thanks!!

@Maxs_mom wrote:

How do I get in touch with a moderator?  I called Bell and they gave me a code but the phone is asking for a SIM PUK code now...grrrrrrr

@Maxs_mom Click the chat bubble bottom right and use "need sim puk code" as a subject

Maxs_mom

How do I get in touch with a moderator?  I called Bell and they gave me a code but the phone is asking for a SIM PUK code now...grrrrrrr

@Luddite wrote:

@Maxs_mom  You could try contacting Samsung directly. 

Enter "SIM network PUK." is asking for the phone’s (often Samsung) “master code" after entering the wrong code too many times. Samsung and/or your previous carrier can give you this. Try: https://chatbot.samsungcs-canada.com/chatbot?source=dotcom

@Maxs_mom 

Rember that you'll need both the SIM Network PUK and the SIM Network PIN.

@Maxs_mom  You could try contacting Samsung directly. 

Enter "SIM network PUK." is asking for the phone’s (often Samsung) “master code" after entering the wrong code too many times. Samsung and/or your previous carrier can give you this. Try: https://chatbot.samsungcs-canada.com/chatbot?source=dotcom

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Maxs_mom

Got it...I think.  Thanks so much for educating me!👍

@Maxs_mom wrote:

Ok - I think I got this...I need a Master PUK which I can get from the carrier, and then the NCK to unlock the phone and then finally the sim pin 1234?

Do not use the 1234 code. I know that the different types of codes can be confusing and you're mixing them up.  The NCK is the SIM Network Unlock PIN and unlocks the device to use at other cariers (other than Bell). You'll not going to need to use the SIM card's PIN (the 1234 code). Also, I wouldn't be calling it master PUK.  Bell or Samsung are going to think that you mean for the SIM card and tell you to go get it from Public Mobile (which they can't help you with because you need the one that carrier unlocks a device). I would refer to it in a term such as "master network unlock code".

Maxs_mom

Ok - I think I got this...I need a Master PUK which I can get from the carrier, and then the NCK to unlock the phone and then finally the sim pin 1234?

@Maxs_mom wrote:

SIM Network Unlock PIN - but now a PUK code - god I'm a total newb.  Contact a moderator?

Sorry, but a moderator cannot help you. The codes that you need aren't for the security of your SIM card.  Your phone is locked to another carrier.  The only way a moderator can help you would be if your phone is locked to Telus or Koodo (there are rare cases when it a Telus or Koodo locked phone doesn't work at Public Mobiile until unlocked). 

You'll have the carrier that the phone is locked to (in this case, Bell Mobility) or see if Samsung would be willing to help provide the codes. Unfortunately, because you've guessed the SIM Network Unlock PIN incorrectly multiple times, you now need two dfiferent codes.  The SIM Network Unlock PUK (master network lock code) needs to be used first to be able to re-enabled the ability to use the SIM Network Unlock PIN (which is the code that unlocks the device so that you can use it at Public Mobile).

"The PUK (Personal Unblocking Key) code is a code consisting of 8 digits. It is used to unblock your SIM card when you entered 3 times a wrong PIN code. A card blocked by the PUK code cannot be unblocked; it cannot be used any further and you have to replace it."

Maxs_mom

SIM Network Unlock PIN - but now a PUK code - god I'm a total newb.  Contact a moderator?

Maxs_mom

I got it from Bell.  Its a Samsung s7. I am trying to set it up for my 10 yr old as an emergency phone.

@Maxs_mom wrote:

Just successfully (or so I thought) activated my sim and the lock pin isn't working and now its asking me for a PUK code.  It occurred to me that the phone may not be unlocked.  Could this have been the issue?

What does the exact message say on the screen?

Was it asking for the PIN of the SIM card or was it asking for the SIM Network Unlock PIN?

The SIM Network Unlock PIN means that the phone is locked to another carrier. The old carrier can provide that code (free if it's a Canadian carrier).

If you needed the PIN for your SIM card, that is 1234.

Either way, since you phone is now asking for some type of PUK, that means that neither of the two types of codes that I mentioned will work unless you have the master code (the PUK).

Before trying to enter more codes or before contacting moderators or the carrier that the phoen might be locked to, check which code you need.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Maxs_mom Which phone do you have and where did you purchase it from? Most likely it is locked to a carrier. 

Need Help? Let's chat.