cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim not supported

Heathermac
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Please help bought a brand new unlocked phone tonight and now when that I ported my number over my old sim card no longer works and this one says that it is not supported. I can no longer use my phone!

30 REPLIES 30

buchaneer52

A little over amonth ago I decided to switch from Bell to PM on my Asus Zenfone Max+ M1. I purchased my PM SIM but when I inserted it in the Zenfone it was recognized as a PM SIM but I could not access my PM account (i.e. phone number, texting, data etc.). The Zenfone is a dual SIM phone so my Bell account was still working. I tried every combination of SIM slots but nothing worked.

I had recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S8 that I activated on Koodo. I removed the Koodo SIM, inserted the PM SIM and everything worked fine and is still working fine a month later. I researched and found that this is not uncommon for Asus phones with PM SIMs. As a result I cancelled my Bell account, sold my Asus phone, cancelled my Koodo account, paid off my tab, and now I'm happy with my PM service on my Samsung S8.

As a result my wife, my son's family, his wife's family and now my daughter are all switched to PM.

deketele
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I experienced a similar problem upon activation of my PM account.  I’d like to suggest that PM could be helpful by supplying a bit more information to prospective clients with its instructions on how to sign up.  At present it all sounds as simple as ... check your phone compatibility, order a sim, open an account, pick a plan and bob’s yer uncle !   Unfortunately the angst experienced by new clients when they suddenly have a non-functioning phone likely doesn’t bode well for more referrals.  And then to find out that... oh, did you know to ensure your phone is un-locked suggests there may be other surpises in store.  Again, this could all be solved with a tad more info at sign up.  Btw, how about PM considering more direct support for new sign ups only, and only until their phone is validated to be in use, after which they would have to use the community.  Just a thought.

@ks2hot4u  I don't think it is hard to get it unlocked there are many online places that will get you an unlock code and depending on phone manufacturer and carrier it is very easy and cost effective to do it.  I unlocked my wife's old phone for $7.99/  It was a Nokia Lumia 830 but still bery cheap to do it.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Not worrisome at at all 🙂

PM unlocks Koodo/Telus/PM phones for $50.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Unlocking-Your-Phone/ta-p/5237

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ks2hot4u
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

That is worrisome, if the phone gets locked to public mobile and no manner of customer service how would one unlock there device to change providers... or would we be stuck ?

srlawren

@Luddite it actually makes a TON of sense for the manufacturer to do it this way.  They can ship ONE version of each model of the phone rather than having to ship locked versions for each carrier.  iPhones already came with multiple carrier assets (logos etc) on board anyway, so this is the next logical step.

Samsung has been doing this for ages as well.  If you buy from a Samsung Experience store, they will unlock it for you right after you purchase it, but it does initially lock to the carrier of the first SIM inserted.  Samsungs sold by the carriers directly are the same model but just don't get unlocked after, they stay locked upon initial SIM insertion.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Heathermac

@Luddite They paid for my unlocking through virgin, best buy can't actually unlock the phone apparently. 

Rockdaddy22
That was my thinking Luddite.

Thanks for the update @HeathermacRobot Very Happy

HADN'T seen it in Canada until now, but some UK retailers sell unlocked iPhones that instantly lock to the first SIM that is installed! Then to get it unlocked, you must pay a fee to that carrier. Luckily BestBuy was willing to unlock it; not so in the UK.

Must be a special set up in iPhones sold through retailers that offer, and sign you up, to carrier discounted specials. This means they need only stock "unlocked" phones that lock to the carrier.

Rockdaddy22
It's not iPhones lol it's Best Buy. I have an unlocked iPhone 7 bought from  and I assure you I can use any sim I want anytime I want. Best Buy doesn't sell unlocked iPhones. I guess they sell these weird things that lock to the first sim.

If that's the case... that iPhone 7s lock to the first carrier SIM you put in, that's highway robbery! Really though... that's not right Apple would do that, forcing you to have to pay more money to the carriers to unlock your phone! Robot Mad

Can someone confirm if this is with all new phones, or just the iPhones? That's really disappointing if this is the new way to pad the bottom line!!

Heathermac

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I did pay $899 from best buy for the phone so full price. My phone was locked but they paid the unlocking fee for me. 

Just in case anyone is wondering iPhones do come unlocked but as soon you as you put the first sim card into them they lock to that provider and then you have to unlock them. Lesson learned but because I asked so many times about making sure it was unlocked and how I was switching providers best buy agreed to pay for my unlock. So problem solved and I once again have a functioning phone!

@Heathermac Unless you paid full price  (i.e. same price as at Apple store) every NEW iPhone at bestbuy is carrier locked. The price is low because you MUST sign up with the Telus, Fido, etc.

Haven't seen it in Canada yet, but some UK retailers sell unlocked iPhones that instantly lock to the first SIM that is installed! Then to get it unlocked, you must pay a fee to that carrier. 

Wow @Heathermac that really sucks that (Worst) Buy said you bought an unlocked phone, when it's obviously locked to a carrier. Pretty bad they don't know what they're selling. Out of curiosity, what was the price you paid, because an unlocked iPhone 7 should be at least $899.

...and people, Heathermac wasn't being rude, no one was giving helpful advice at first (no offence to anyone in particular, but there was a rude tone towards her)

"Sim not supported" mesage on iPhone models usually means that the phone is locked to another carrier.  I also have never heard of Best Buy Canada selling unlocked iPhones. When you say it was purchased from Best Buy was it directly from them or through a third party seller on the Best Buy website?

I've seen in before where for whatever reason after changing sim cards, you sometimes need to reconnect the phone to your computer and run iTunes to activate.  My knowledge of Apple products is limited though because I haven't had an opportunity to play around with an iPhone for a while.  I know connecting to iTunes with your phone and usb cable is the old fashioned way of iPhone activation but it can't hurt to give it a try.

Just to add to the above, you do need a data connection (either through wi-fi or celluar data) to activate an iPhone without the assistance of a computer.  If you aren't connected to wi-fi or the phone's APN settings are incorrect, the iPhone won't be able to connect to the Apple activation server. So, going the iTunes activation route may work better in some cases.

Heathermac

I specifically asked them tonight multiple times and they assured me it was unlocked so I am not impressed I have been trying to switch for a month and having issues and decided to upgrade my phone and just be done with it.

Rockdaddy22
To the best of my knowledge Best Buy does not sell unlocked iPhones. Ask them to give you a Koodo or Telus phone, it'll work.

Heathermac

Seems its not unlocked after all best buy will be getting an earful tomorrow

Rockdaddy22
I have a feeling it's not unlocked unfortunately

Heathermac

I haven't but that's a good idea I will run out and grab my loaner phone I have been using and see if it works 🙂 

Rockdaddy22
I never knew Best Buy sold unlocked iPhones. I've been buying unlocked iPhones from  for years.

Rockdaddy22
Have you tried the sim in another unlocked phone, just to be certain. Who was your previous provider? Good choice on phone 😉 currently using that with Public Mobile.

Heathermac

I bought the phone from best buy and they said it was an unlocked phone never asked me who I used as a carrier tonight...

nishufan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Where did you buy your iPhone? It has a chance that you bought a locked iPhone from the carrier with full price.

UDP7

@Heathermac Oh, wow, you're going to be rude to the people that are helping you.

Heathermac

Thanks for the unhelpful advice its an iphone 7 and it is supported by PM i checked that before porting over

Heathermac

Its an iphone 7 and I checked my imei before transferring my service and it said it was supported

rkreddyb4u

what is your device make and model ?

jheili99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

hi..

well don't you think we would need to know what phone do you have?

but if it says already "sim not supported" then it's simple: phone won't work with PM...

cheers

Need Help? Let's chat.