cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim not recognized

Tasker
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I bought a new Alcatel 1 phone that was for KOODO prepaid. phone has never been used on any network. Inserted the Public Mobile sim card and phone says no sim card. Tried removing sim card and reinserting and rebooted, never worked. Checked IMei number and it said phone should work. Sim works fine in my old Samsung phone. Help please.

11 REPLIES 11

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Tasker wrote:

I bought a new Alcatel 1 phone that was for KOODO prepaid. phone has never been used on any network. Inserted the Public Mobile sim card and phone says no sim card. Tried removing sim card and reinserting and rebooted, never worked. Checked IMei number and it said phone should work. Sim works fine in my old Samsung phone. Help please.

@Tasker  What was the answer? Defective phone?  Curious which suggestion worked.

japat129
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

first thing to do ,,,many times not enough pressure on sim card ,,place a small spacer between sim and battery  ,that will be a fixed in many cases    . not sure why moderators did not post this fix

i used electric tape , folded 4 or 5 times .on top of sim bracket  ,. just a bit more pressure  

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I would recommend borrowing someone else's SIM, doesn't matter which carrier.

If it's with a non-Telus carrier; it'll ask for unlock code.

If it's with a Telus carrier, it should start working.

If neither of the above works; you may simply have a defective phone.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Tasker wrote:

Was another sim card ever inserted in that phone other than Public Mobile?

@WippyShippy wrote:

Is your phone unlocked?

Did you check if your phone is compatible with PM?

@WippyShippyIf it's a Koodo phone then it is compatible with PM because they use the same Telus network and both are owned by Telus.

JaimeLaPizza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think porting from Koodo (or Telus) to Public Mobile is a bit different/trickier because they're all the same company.  Maybe you should have a look at this thread, in particular Srlawren's post.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/I-need-a-PM-moderator-to-help-me-comp...

WippyShippy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is your phone unlocked?

Did you check if your phone is compatible with PM?

I have an older Telus prepaid phone. Phone still works with Telus SIM but does not work with Public Mobile SIM. I found this strange too.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is strange.  I sense the phone is defective.  Even if the phone was locked to Koodo, it should work on Public Mobile without SIM unlock.  These two brands are within the Telus family.  

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Tasker wrote:

Your phone is locked, you need contact Koodo to unlock your phone, it's free.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Hmmm. Looks like your Koodo prepaid phone needs to be unlocked.

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/prepaid-sim-cards

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/contact-us?INTCMP=KMNew_FooterLINK_ContactUs_ContactUs

It should be free to unlock. I am unsure whether you have to be a Koodo customer to get this done.

Need Help? Let's chat.