cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim card fell apart

Jmg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was getting an error and no signal to call out.  I tried reseating the sim card, it fell apart, so i taped it and my phone ovetheats. Does public mobile replace my sim card at no charge ?

20 REPLIES 20

@mimmo wrote:

Come on @slash407 there are no free sim promos at the moment. 

I didn't even notice that part.  Sim cards haven't free since the last Flash Sale.

saje_ward
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yikes! I am not a fan of the DIY soution when you're dealing with an (comparatively) expensive peice of technology. I would order a new one online and simultaneously PM a moderator and ask for a $10 credit on your account.

@Jmg wrote:

I was getting an error and no signal to call out.  I tried reseating the sim card, it fell apart, so i taped it and my phone ovetheats. Does public mobile replace my sim card at no charge ?

@mimmo wrote:

And dont forget using your advice would require the customer to port to a different carrier then port back to pm. 

@slash407 wrote:

if u want it free u have to signup for a new acct but u'll miss any rewards u have on ur present acct

would also have to pay for at least 30 days of service

Unless the person doesn't care about those rewards, phone number, and whatever remaining time that is left on that billing cycles plan, this just isn't worth it.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

And dont forget using your advice would require the customer to port to a different carrier then port back to pm. 

@slash407 wrote:

if u want it free u have to signup for a new acct but u'll miss any rewards u have on ur present acct

Dankaroo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jmg wrote:

Your phone model design/engineers would be shaking their head at this. You can order a new sim online but based on your story I would recommend going to a nearby The Mobile Shop (sometimes located it Canada Superstore) so that they can install the sim for you and any damage to the new sim can be held accountable by them so you are guaranteed this issue will not repeat unless you remove the sim yourself.

As for the overheating issue that is not an issue with public mobiles services or products and as such should be none of our concern but based on how you tape inside your phone I would not be surprised if

A) warranty is void

B) the device needs to be replaced

Either way the overheating is not a topic for the PM community.

@krazykiwi wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

That's fair enough, but why would the tape be on the sim card in any place where it would interfere with the electrical contact?  I'm not saying that the phone isn't warming up, just that the tape might not be the cause.

I never said it was, just that it is not a good idea and that it would probably cause an issue, either now or later.

EDIT: Even if they didn't put it on the contacts the heat from the phone may cause it to melt and come into contact with the connections.

Well, based on the OP saying  " I tried reseating the sim card, it fell apart, so i taped it and my phone ovetheats", it sounds like he/she believes that the tape is the reason.  If it's really getting that hot, hot enough to melt things, I'd say there are other issues at play here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My guess would be that the OP had heat issues to begin that caused the SIM to disintegrate. The tape may allow it to work for a time thus exposing that the SIM was causing the heat. Loose contacts whatever. Think of the tape then as like tinder and the SIM as like a log. Much easier to ignite tinder than a log.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

Besides mentioning the Samsung battery issue sim cards are designed to pass electrical current, regardless of how minute it may be, through a predetrermined path. When you start altering that path with anything, even tape, you run the risk of short circuiting. Short circuiting will produce heat. If you doubt me try short circuiting your car battery and let us know how it turns out.

That's fair enough, but why would the tape be on the sim card in any place where it would interfere with the electrical contact?  I'm not saying that the phone isn't warming up, just that the tape might not be the cause.

I never said it was, just that it is not a good idea and that it would probably cause an issue, either now or later.

EDIT: Even if they didn't put it on the contacts the heat from the phone may cause it to melt and come into contact with the connections.

@krazykiwi wrote:

Besides mentioning the Samsung battery issue sim cards are designed to pass electrical current, regardless of how minute it may be, through a predetrermined path. When you start altering that path with anything, even tape, you run the risk of short circuiting. Short circuiting will produce heat. If you doubt me try short circuiting your car battery and let us know how it turns out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@krazykiwi wrote:
If you doubt me try short circuiting your car battery and let us know how it turns out.

Um kids?...don't try this at home. 🙂

@computergeek541 wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

@Jmg wrote:

As others asked, what do you mean by "fell apart"?

I do not recommend taping a sim card, flammable material inside a very hot container like a cell phone is asking for trouble.

Very hot container?  How hot does a cell phone get?  The tape is really going to cause a phone to overheat?  I doubt that there is much ventilation expected by design around the sim card slot anyway. And if the tape is going to cause danger, wouldn't the plastic in the sim card be just as dangerous? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

@Jmg wrote:

I do not recommend taping a sim card, flammable material inside a very hot container like a cell phone is asking for trouble.

Very hot container?  How hot does a cell phone get?  The tape is really going to cause a phone to overheat?  I doubt that there is much ventilation expected by design around the sim card slot anyway. And if the tape is going to cause danger, wouldn't the plastic in the sim card be just as dangerous? 

Well...the OP said "it ovetheats". So I would think that's a reasonable precaution based on actual evidence. I wouldn't have guessed that heat would be a problem but there it is. As reported.

@krazykiwi wrote:

@Jmg wrote:

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@Jmg wrote:

popping

@Jmg wrote:

PM SIM card is a 3-in1 SIM card kit.  It consists of a nano SIM card + micro SIM adaptor + standard SIM adaptor.  Its design allows user to remove or use adaptor(s) together with the nano SIM.

What do you mean by fell apart?

You phone overheat may due to it is trying to lock on to mobile signals(3G or LTE).

Which SIM card size your phone is using? nano/micro/standard

If you don't know, which phone are you using?

For nano SIM, use the nano SIM card without any adaptors

For micro SIM, use the nano SIM + micro adaptor together.

For standard SIM, use the nano SIM + micro + standard adaptors together

3-in-1-SIM

lukealex121
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

What do you mean by “fell apart”?

Did one of the plastic pieces around the outside fall off, or is the chip itself damaged?

As others stated, if it does need to be replaced, you’ll need to either purchase one online or from a retailer such as London Drugs or Walmart (<though I wouldn’t recommend Walmart as they often hassle you if you try to buy only a SIM). 

@Jmg Hopefully not!!! We have 5 here and no problem with them... even if we had to move one to another phone!!!Smiley Happy

Jmg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm just hoping if I buy another simple that it won't fall apart again

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Jmg No, sim cards are not free. You will have to buy it for $10 from any partnered retailer such as The Mobile Shop, Walmart. Wow Mobile or London Drugs. 

mimmo

You could try asking the mods.  Send a picture of your sim. 

But I personally  would go buy a new one from a retail store.  Especially by the time it takes to receive a  new sim you could have missed that important call. 

Need Help? Let's chat.