cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim card can not register on network aftyer using it in an LG G4

marlon17
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

I recently had the screen on my Zenfone 3 Laser replaced and while it was being replaced I used my wife's LG G4. I used the Public Mpobile Sim card in the LG , after updating the APN settings it worked fine. Once I got my Zenfone back I removed the Sim card from the LG and inserted it into my Zenfone. Nothing! The siom card won't register on the network and said that the network was not available try again later. 1 minute before it was working on the LG. What gives?

I have removed and added the APN Settings again.

Nothing.

Can someone please fill me in.

Am I missing something?

UPDATE:

I received 2 text messages but can't make any calls and there is no data.

Weird!

UPDATE 2:

After checking my sim card was in good shape I then tried it back in my wife's phone and after a few seconds , it connected.  

I spoke to the tech that repaired the screen and he mentioned something about the antenna being attached at the charge port and that maybe something happened there.

That makes sense because I got service on my phone at work later that day, but by the time I got home it had lost service again. the phone always  had greqat range and reception up until the screen was repaired.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help me. 

Marlon

10 REPLIES 10

@koimr1 wrote:

Err wait - your current SIM card came apart six months ago and you needed to tape it and have been using since like that?

I think, for both peace of mind and to eliminate this being the cause of your problem, you should immediately replace it.

I know in your second update that you said it connected with the LG but perhaps your Zenfone is less tolerant.

Have you tried her SIM card in your phone yet? That would really narrow it down.

Public's Mobile's sim cards are poorly made, in my opinion.  That's pretty much that case with all carriers now because they insist on using these triple-punch sim cards for customer convenience.

The only sizing that I consider to be reliable in these is the nano sim card size.  That's because there's none of those lose adapters/cutouts attached, and because the multi-sized sim cards are built to the exact thickness standards that were only really ever meant to be used for nano sims.

Both the mini (the largest of the 3 sizes) and micro sim cards are actually supposed to be slightly thicker.  This sometimes causes poor electrical contact to be made.

Another issues with these triple punch sims has to do with the fact that the adapters break/crumble too easily.  Espeically with the nano to micro adapter, there is a very thin piece is not sturdy enough to withstand regular swapping of the sim card between different phones (it's really just a one time use thing - put it in your phone once and never take it out or risk breaking it).

Also relating to the adapters is another problem of the small piece falling out of the larger pieces.  This can cause loss of electrical contact, or can even cause your sim card to get phsically jammed in your sim card slot.

If it weren't for the convenience of having a one-size-fits-all sim card size and the fact that customers can easily upgrade phones without worrying about different sizes, customers who have phones that use mini-sim and and those who have phones that use micro-sims would actually be much better offer getting the sim cards of those dedicated sizes.  Unfortunately, because of the what the carriers now sell, that usually isn't an option any more.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Err wait - your current SIM card came apart six months ago and you needed to tape it and have been using since like that?

I think, for both peace of mind and to eliminate this being the cause of your problem, you should immediately replace it.

I know in your second update that you said it connected with the LG but perhaps your Zenfone is less tolerant.

Have you tried her SIM card in your phone yet? That would really narrow it down.

marlon17

The sim card for PM is fragile and starts to come apart pretty easily.

I ended up taping the backside of it to keep it from coming loose.

That was 6 months ago when I first got my sim card and the phone laways worked well.

Back to the tech.!

Thanks

Does the Zenfone have dual sim slots?   If it does, try the other slot.  I seem to recall something about this, and that the second slot is only 2G/3G compatible, or for expandable storage.

I've also heard it said, don't use a triple punch in the Zenfones, but that's almost impossible in North America now...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I suspect the repair affected the SIM slot.  Somehow the phone is not able to read the SIM properly.  There is no reason why the phone won't register on the network.  Try testing a different SIM card on the Zenfone, see if the problem is repeatible.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

any luck @marlon17??  to expand on what the others have said if the sim works in the LG then it is phone problem, if it doesnt work in the LG then you probably damaged the sim card.

also does your wife's sim work in your phone?

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

Yeah, I would go for a factory reset if the sim card still works with the LG. 

Do that and then see what happens . 

Did you do any recent updates ? 

If that doesn't work either then probably the repair shop screwed with the antennas wile repairing it. But this is a shot in the dark and it is improbable. 

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Put the SIM card back in the LG and see if it works there again.

If so, and trying it back once more in the Zenfone still doesn't work, then it sounds like a phone problem to me.

If it were my phone I'd backup what I could and then do a factory reset OR contact the place that did the screen repair - maybe it's something they did or didn't do correctly. Absolute speculation on my part though. Try it in the LG again first.

marlon17

Yes it is the same phone. All apps, files, messages etc... are still on it. The repair was for replacing the screen alone. No settings should have been made to it.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@marlon17 Are you sure you got the same Zenphone back? 

APN has nothing do with the sim connecting to the network. If the sim is working in LG phone, i suspect something is wrong with your Zenphone. May be try factory reset after backing up everything. 

Need Help? Let's chat.