cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signed up for LTE....Getting a mix of 4G & LTE Speeds

KDP58
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

Just switched to PM from Rogers. I have an unlocked Samsung S8 SM-G950U1.

I signed up for LTE, but about 50% of the time my phone is indicating 4G, I can be in the same area and sometimes get LTE/LTE+, but usually 4G

My signal strenght at home is only 1 bar, when I venture out I usually get 4G with a very strong signal, if I power the phone down and restart  I get LTE although sometimes it will change to 4G. My APN settings are correct for PM. So strange!

Any ideas?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@KDP58

Where are you located? Are there any friends/family in the same area on Bell or Telus with similar poor coverage?

sarasalhi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This happens on all networks depending on coverage. I was on Rogers and had the same issue. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@KDP58, you are unlucky to be in an area where Bellus has bad LTE deployment.  At work, I have the same issue, parts of the building will only get 3G and parts will get LTE.  In the elevator lobby, there is no signal.  These things do happen.  For me the biggest issue with being on 3G is not the data speed but the latency.  It is terrible sometimes.  It likes relapses of being on Wind Mobile.

R47
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just from skimming through, your phone seems to have the needed bands. You likely just don't have an LTE signal where you are. Depending on things like thethe locat of the cell tower, buildings around you etc can affect your signal. HSPA+ tends to have a more consistent signal, so when you're out of range of LTE you fall back to HSPA+. However, with an LTE plan, you're not limited to 2.5mbps, and you will get the full potential of the HSPA network, so you should have a decent download speed, probably around 8 Mbps. Though to be out of LTE signal 50% of the time is strange. I fall back to HSPA+ occasionally, but not very often. I wonder if something else is wrong here. Have you had more consistent LTE signal in your are with different phones?

Need Help? Let's chat.