cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal loss

Gerry_P
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm in an area with a weak signal. It varies from 1 bar 4G to 2-3 bars 3G. I can make calls and text but when it drops from 4G to 3G I lose data connectivity for some reason.  I know that the PM data is at 3G speeds, but I think  4G connection is required?

My question is, will a signal booster help me? And if anyone has experience with signal boosters please let me know what works for you.

22 REPLIES 22

Gerry_P

Okay that makes sense.

@Gerry_P 3G performance at cell edge is terrible, often unusable as you are experiencing, which is why I advise people to not force their phones to 3G only. The site you are using is capable of delivering data on 3G and 4G... You would just need to be in a better coverage area for 3G to be stable.

Unfortunately I can't recommend boosters as I don't have any experience with them. If not installed responsibly, boosters can cause network interference.

@Gerry_PSee if telus hub is available there....it might be a good option for you.

Gerry_P

No, I don't have WiFi there, it's my summer cottage. And I have an online job now so I need data when I'm there although I may have to end up getting WiFi installed by the look of it.

@Gerry_P  Has been an issue a ways or just in the past few weeks since COVID-19? As @will13am  has explained about call volume....this could be more of a temporary (sort of?) 3G issue.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Gerry_P  do you have WiFi? If you do, a possible work around would be using a voip app such as TextNow and use it over Wifi to make / receive / send calls and texts in Canada and to the United States for free. 

@gblackma , check your information before posting inaccurate nonsense.  OP is asking about data and so how does WiFi calling which Public Mobile does not support help the situation? 

@Gerry_P , not being able to get data flow on 3G is a sign that there is lots of call traffic.  I get the same issue at work where the company phones clog up the 3G spectrum.  During off hours, data flow on 3G will work.  This behavior is not dependent on signal strength, just network load.  

I have the Umidigi F2 which is pretty good with picking up a signal.  As for signal boosters, don't waste your money, especially for garbage that is under $100.  Why would a cheapo device like that perform better than the phone itself?  

Gerry_P

@gblackma Data is available on any connection. There's no such thing as data only on 4G

Actually you are incorrect, as soon as the signal drops to 3G the data quits working. Once it picks up 4G again the data works.

Gerry_P

Yes to all questions but I still need to boost the signal inside the house. That's what my question was. I was looking for advice on boosters.

@Gerry_P   @sheytoon is definitely the expert in this area....he can give you the best advice. When it comes to the phone then @gblackma has your model as does @will13am  so they can advise in that area.

@Gerry_P  I found this link to the 10 best cell signal boosters  https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-cell-phone-signal-boosters

Gerry_P

I can but I don't get any data over the 3G network. I want to boost the signal so I can get a constant 4G.

Thanks @sheytoon  . I was trying to say that the cell tower in the area may have only have 4g data signal capability. 

@gblackma Data is available on any connection. There's no such thing as data only on 4G.

@Gerry_P  mine is the F1 too. Do you have enhanced LTE mode on? And WiFi calling on? Also if you hit preferred networks - public mobile(3g/4g) - network type - see if both 3g and 4g are selected. If not, select both of them. Thanks.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Gerry_P wrote:

I'm in an area with a weak signal. It varies from 1 bar 4G to 2-3 bars 3G. I can make calls and text but when it drops from 4G to 3G I lose data connectivity for some reason.  I know that the PM data is at 3G speeds, but I think  4G connection is required?

@Gerry_P  The 3G network is only required for calls. Texts and data will work both on the 3G and LTE (4G) network.

My question is, will a signal booster help me? And if anyone has experience with signal boosters please let me know what works for you.

What type of a phone are using? If you are using an older phone might want to look into a new one for better coverage.

@Gerry_P Can you force your phone to connect to 3G by default? It may solve your issue. When you will do it, turn off your phone, wait for 30sec and turn it on.

Gerry_P

I found 850 mgz signal boosters on eBay for around $55 USD

Gerry_P

My phone is a Umidigi F1 

Thanks,

Gerry 

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Gerry_P 

Signal boosters are going to cost a lot of money.

What cellphone do you have? Maybe it's best to upgrade the cellphone instead?

Let us know. 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Gerry_P  there may be only 4g LTE data connections in your area. Is there an option on your phone to enable it to switch automatically Between the 2 options? Or one to choose either 4g or 3g? You can also try your SIM in another phone to see if the signal quality improves.

Need Help? Let's chat.