cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up Messages on iPad

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

I have set up my iPad, MacBook and iMac to be able to send and receive texts using my PM mobile plan. The main purpose in doing so was to be able to centrally send and receive texts to Apple AND Android products. It works very well. 

One limitation is no mixing of android and Apple phone numbers and only one number per text if Android. 

My question is, can I text an Android from my iPad and include a pic? Will it work with the iPhone data on or off? Or must I use the iPhone only with data on for those picture texts?

======================

Set up Messages on iPad

In the Messages app

LurganIeUk_0-1599525677999.png

, you can send text messages as SMS/MMS messages through your cellular service, or with iMessage over Wi-Fi or cellular service to people who use iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or a Mac. Texts you send and receive using iMessage don’t count against your SMS/MMS allowances in your cellular messaging plan, but cellular data rates may apply.

iMessage texts can include photos, videos, and other info. You can see when other people are typing, and send read receipts to let them know when you’ve read their messages. For security, messages sent using iMessage are encrypted before they’re sent.

iMessage texts appear in blue bubbles, and SMS/MMS texts appear in green bubbles. See the Apple Support article About iMessage and SMS/MMS.

4 REPLIES 4

The “send from” device is an iPad on wifi. .(And the unknown miracle is.....I have no idea how it uses the iPhone texting.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Ok so I exceed the requirements. But I cannot mix sending to Apple Users and Android Users in one text. And I still question to send a PIC from an iPad to an Android (and maybe an iPhone) do I have to turn the data on, on the iPhone? Or do I have to send PICS using the iPhone only with data on?

Sending to multiple people in one message makes it MMS. Sending a pic makes it MMS. Data needs to be on to send MMS.

Which is it though? iPad or iPhone? Or both?

Ok so I exceed the requirements. But I cannot mix sending to Apple Users and Android Users in one text. And I still question to send a PIC from an iPad to an Android (and maybe an iPhone) do I have to turn the data on, on the iPhone? Or do I have to send PICS using the iPhone only with data on?

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 7.56.45 AM.png

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@LurganIeUk I would assume so, since it is using your phone as a relay. why don't you test it?

have you tried disabling iMessage so that when you use your iPad to send texts, it sends it as sms and MMS rather than imessage. then maybe you can send to android and iPhone at the same time

When someone sends you an SMS or MMS message on your iPhone, it appears as a green bubble. iMessages appear as blue bubbles. When you set up Text Message Forwarding, you can send and receive the SMS and MMS messages from your iPhone on any Mac, iPad, or iPod touch that meets the Continuity system requirements

Need Help? Let's chat.