cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung s21 ultra

Jtbajwa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Wondering if this phone will be compatible with public?

20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@clipitar : It's not very obvious but there's a disclaimer under that checker that lists the frequencies needed. Talk needs 3G etc. Text and data can work on either 3G or 4G.

Then you find the specs for the phone and see if it covers those frequencies. Either the manufacturer. Or gsmarena is an excellent source.

Edit: and also, why would a retailer sell a product that doesn't work in their market. Pretty much all phones sold in Canada will be compatible. Other than small stores or off-brands. Samsung is not an off-brand.

clipitar

Where can I find out this information ? Thank you

Yes, it is compatible with PM as long as it is the North American version.

clipitar

Is the Samsung S21 Works with Public Mobile Network ?Thank you

tofu_101

@esjliv thanks, that's exactly the same one my dad is using.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tofu_101 : If you bought it new from a Canadian retailer then they would have no interest in selling a phone that wouldn't work at pretty much any Canadian provider. Find the specific model designation like esjliv gave. My A31 is SM-A315F/DS.

If you found it online via Bestbuy from a seller then who knows.

tofu_101

@Anonymous How can i confirm if it's compatible?  I got the phone for my dad from Bestbuy.

M

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tofu_101 : It's important to get down to specific submodels too. Maybe you have a phone from Nigeria or something that might not be compatible itself while other A20s models are.

Hi @tofu_101 

I have a "Samsung Galaxy A20s A207/DS, 32GB/3GB RAM Dual SIM 6.5''HD" currently with Public Mobile.

This one works just fine. 🙂

@tofu_101 wrote:

Does it mean the A20S works too?  Can't find it on their list.

Thx

The list is not exhaustive.

I'm sure it'll work.  If you want to be 100% sure, and you know someone currently on PM, borrow their SIM card, slip into phone and see if you can call & text.

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS)

That device shows as: (from Samsung Galaxy A20s - Full phone specifications (gsmarena.com)

3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 - SM-A207F/DS
 HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 - SM-A207M/DS
4G bands1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41 - SM-A207F/DS
 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66 - SM-A207M/DS
SpeedHSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A

tofu_101

@esjliv 

Does it mean the A20S works too?  Can't find it on their list.

Thx

You know plenty, @darlicious , thanks.

Guess when I saw an earlier response about overseas models, I presumed ALL phones are made overseas.   Key here is that the phones are manufactured for different regions I guess - so that all makes sense.

I guess the definitive measures are the frequency bands/ranges to ensure compatibility.

@HALIMACS 

Any new release phone that is the canadian version (and for the most part north american versions) will be compatible unless its esim only which I don't think exist but hey what do I know?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Which applies to the thread title too.

@HALIMACS I'm with @esjliv on this one. There are numerous versions of a lot of phones. If you are buying one from overseas I would double check the freqs before putting down the cash.

Hello @HALIMACS,

I would not be totally comfortable saying that.

Watch out for the model of each phone and whether they are International versions. These things could tip the scale either way.

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/where-to-buy-a-compatible-phone

@kb_mv  @esjliv 

Wouldn't virtually all phones manufactured within the past 4-5 years be compatible on the PM network?

Or are there some models to avoid???   Wonder if anyone is up to speed on this.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Yes 🙂

i have the A21s - works great! 🙂

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Jtbajwa wrote:

Wondering if this phone will be compatible with public?

@Jtbajwa As Telus is offering it for sale, the answer is yes.

Need Help? Let's chat.