cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung SGH-T456

pamela_p
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is Samsung SGH-T456 compatible with the Public network/service. When I insert the Public sim card the phone is able to see only: Rogers Wireless. But when I select it it says: Not Allowed. Any helpful tips would be highly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Danchvn @zblackma there's no need to get the phone unlocked from Rogers, since that's the only compatible network in Canada anyway.  See my above reply for more info.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@pamela_p wrote:

Is Samsung SGH-T456 compatible with the Public network/service. When I insert the Public sim card the phone is able to see only: Rogers Wireless. But when I select it it says: Not Allowed. Any helpful tips would be highly appreciated.

@pamela_p is this your phone?  https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_t459_gravity-2588.php.  If so, it is not at all compatible with Public Mobile.  Your phone is twelve years old and came out before the 3G and 4G technology that powers the Telus network on which Public Mobile operates.  Your phone only has older 2G GSM radio built in, and the only operator in Canada to offer a GSM network is Rogers.  If you try to connect to the Rogers GSM network with a Public Mobile SIM card in the phone, it will definitely not allow you to connect.  You would need to either pick up a new Rogers (or Fido) (or Chatr, possibly, but make sure you ask them first if Chatr has access to Rogers' GSM network) SIM card and plan*.  OR, pick up a phone that's compatible with Public Mobile in order to use this service.

* However, since Rogers plans to shut down the GSM network at the end of this year (https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/05/04/rogers-extends-availability-of-gsm-gprs-network-to-december-2020/), they may not even activate service for you at this point in time.  If they did, it would only work for the next 6 months, at which point in time your current phone will be unusable in Canada.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@pamela_p in both cases, you will need your IMEI number dial *#06# to get it. Here is the link to Samsung Online.

Danchvn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Sounds like your phone is still locked to the Rogers network. You will probably have to call them to have it unlocked. I understand that Samsung Canada can also unlock the phone and someone else here should be able to guide you in going that route.

Need Help? Let's chat.