cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S3 - phone works, data does not...APN settings didn't help

halifmike
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi,

I am setting up a phone for my brother-in-law. It is an older Samsung S3.

The data won't work.

When I go into APN settings, I see two already there, even though I did a factory reset and a cache clear on the phone. One is TELUS SP and the other is TELUS ISP. I don't see an option to delete these, only to add new ones.

I added one for Public Mobile, but was unable to set it up exactly as specified. The APN Type doesn't have all the options mentioned in the instructions. Plus one of the sets of instructions say the APN Type should be left blank, but it is set to Internet+MMS+DUN and I can't set it to blank as you can only select combinations of the three, or one of them.

Any ideas? Factory Reset, cache clear, set up APN as instructed. Nothing seems to work.

30 REPLIES 30

halifmike

Hi. I downloaded Chrome and removed GID from the APN settings and it now works.

I used Samsung Internet again and this doesn't work still. It seems to be set to bring a Telus app up every time, and there seems to be now way to get rid of it.

I am thinking it was all the Internet app all along.

@halifmike wrote:

Here is a screen shot of my post. Did I do something wrong?

Capture.PNG

You didn't do anything wrong, but when sending a private message to the moderators in that manner, the message was given a lower priority.

Use https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/ and type in "rep" to open a ticket with them.

THEnewfie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The settings with the DUN shouldn't really matter and should be set to include all three of the options ideally. The DUN is just some technical crap that deals with Bluetooth and allows the phone to connect to the web using BT connection and the 2nd devices internet connection. The internet and MMS part are the crucial parts. 

But seeing how this is a device with older Android.. any members here have any OTHER devices besides the Samsung here that are on the same version of Android? It'd be curious to try n figure out if this is a Samsung problem or an android variation problem

halifmike

Here is a screen shot of my post. Did I do something wrong?

Capture.PNG

halifmike

I used @CS_Agent 

@halifmike wrote:

I put in a request to the Mod on Wedesday noon, but haven't heard anything. Is it common to not have a response after 48 hours?

Mikie

These days, it's usually a lot less time than that. What method did you use to contact them?

halifmike

I put in a request to the Mod on Wedesday noon, but haven't heard anything. Is it common to not have a response after 48 hours?

Mikie

halifmike

It has LTE/WCDMA/GSM. I've set it to that, but no dice on that either.

@ChuckYeah wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@halifmike wrote:

I don't have all those options in APN Type. I have only those in the picture below. I changed the MVNO type and value as suggested. No dice.

20191112_215503.jpg

Did you try each type?  You could also try setting it to internet and making a separate APN for MMS.

If these were my options, I would use Internet +mms. I believe DUN is related to Hotspot setup only. Since it's an older phone, is there any chance it has a 2G setting? Maybe see if you can select 3g or lte in your phone settings.

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@halifmike wrote:

I don't have all those options in APN Type. I have only those in the picture below. I changed the MVNO type and value as suggested. No dice.

20191112_215503.jpg

Did you try each type?  You could also try setting it to internet and making a separate APN for MMS.

If these were my options, I would use Internet +mms. I believe DUN is related to Hotspot setup only. Since it's an older phone, is there any chance it has a 2G setting? Maybe see if you can select 3g or lte in your phone settings.

@halifmike  if there is an option to reset APNs to default select that option. Restart your phone. Disable the sp.telus.com APN. Add the sp.mb.com APN select internet,mms as the APN type leave the MVxx settings alone. Make sure the sp.mb.com APN is enabled and restart your phone.

halifmike

I don't really know what the green dot is for, and at times it is greyed out. I managed to click it on the PM APN. But that didn't make data start to work.

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@halifmike wrote:

20191112_214155.jpg20191112_214305.jpg20191112_214147.jpg

Is the green dot in the APN list to enable it? That looks like an older Android version that you needed to activate the APN.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I have the same phone, I couldn't get data working either.

halifmike

Those are the Telus ones as asked. A little blurry but I think probably readable. Not sure they are relevant in any case.

halifmike

20191113_123523 snip.jpg20191113_123541 snip.jpg

halifmike

20191113_123534.jpg

@computergeek541 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@halifmike  Open up the sp.telus.com apn and post a screenshot of those settings if u don't mind.

Public Mobile customers don't use the sp.telus.com APN so I'm not sure what you're looking for.  just to compare?

Yes.

@geopublic wrote:

@halifmike  Open up the sp.telus.com apn and post a screenshot of those settings if u don't mind.

Public Mobile customers don't use the sp.telus.com APN so I'm not sure what you're looking for.  just to compare?

@halifmike wrote:

20191112_215503.jpg

halifmike

20191112_215503.jpg

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

If the APN doesn't work, try forcing the phone to 3g and see if that does anything. Maybe consider contacting @CS_Agent and see if they can force PM's settings to your phone.

Creating a support ticket:
Explain your issue to SIMON, seen below:

simon.PNG

Use as few words as possible to allow the BOT to understand. Answer his questions until you get here:

Spoiler
submit_ticket.PNG

Click on "Submit a ticket" and the Moderator team will respond to your concern, usually within 48 hours.

Alternatively, you may send a private message to moderator through the following link :
Contact @Moderator_Team

About @Moderator_Team
Moderator Hours
Monday-Friday: 8AM- 12AM EST
Saturday & Sunday: 8AM-10PM EST

halifmike

They are the same except APN Type, which have only Internet, MMS and DUN.

20191112_215503.jpg

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

Adding default to this setting will allow you to select it. It will put the select circle on the right.

edit: Sorry, now I see you already have it.

@halifmike wrote:

Is the green dot in the APN list to enable it? That looks like an older Android version that you needed to activate the APN.

halifmike

Plus - these Telus APNs are there and I can't get rid of them. Not sure if that even has any effect:

apn.JPG

halifmike

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@halifmike Are these the settings you used when you added an APN?

Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F 

station1104

for apn you only need to add what public has, leave the rest blank

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@halifmike wrote:

Hi,

The data won't work.

When I go into APN settings, I see two already there, even though I did a factory reset and a cache clear on the phone. One is TELUS SP and the other is TELUS ISP. I don't see an option to delete these, only to add new ones.

I added one for Public Mobile, but was unable to set it up exactly as specified. The APN Type doesn't have all the options mentioned in the instructions. Plus one of the sets of instructions say the APN Type should be left blank, but it is set to Internet+MMS+DUN and I can't set it to blank as you can only select combinations of the three, or one of them.

Any ideas? Factory Reset, cache clear, set up APN as instructed. Nothing seems to work.

@halifmike  Post a screenshot of your current APN settings.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@halifmike wrote:

Hi,

The data won't work.

You don't need APN type as blank. I would use default,mms. The sp.mb.com is the important part.

Need Help? Let's chat.