cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S7 G930W8 can't use LTE

monster5000
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey Everyone! I just joined Public Mobile today, coming from Wind. So I have a pretty new S7. It's a G930W8 and I bought it off of Kijiji. 

So my issue: I can't use LTE. 

When using my sim card, I can only get 3G. So I went into my settings, and under "network mode" the only options are: WCDMA/GSM (auto connect), WCDMA only, or GSM only. There is no option for LTE anywhere. 

Thinking it might be a problem with my sim card, I plugged it in to my old Oneplus One, and I got LTE signal with it. So it's definitely something wrong with my phone. 

I read another post on linked here, and I tried that, selecting Telus and factory reseting my phone, but that didn't solve anything. I still cannot select LTE. 

I have no idea what's going on and I'm kind of freaking out haha. Anyone have any suggestions? 

Also I checked the imei number with Samsung, and it's a legit phone, so that's not the issue. Also, the phone is/was rooted, if that makes a difference.

I'd really appreciate your help so I can finally feel what LTE feels like. 

11 REPLIES 11

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@zisengwe

You have posted to a very old thread. In the future, start your own thread under the appropriate category and it will get the exposure and answer to your questions you're looking for.

Do you know which sub-model # of the s7 you have?  Their are a number of varient out their, most should work but the sub-model # will help narrow it down.

zisengwe
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got a samsung w which 7" which as well does not work with Freedom ( Wind Mobility ) I bought  the phone from South Korea.

I called Freedom and ask them about LTE they said some of LTE does not work with Freedom.

I tried my phone with Rodgers ,Telus ,Chart etc the same phone work fine.

jamestneutron
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I had the same experience when I activated and the community was such a great resource to figure out the setup. Maybe these instructions could be flagged to new joiners to prompt a review of their settings. Not everyone is tech savy!

monster5000

@Luddite Thank you this worked great! Wish I didn't reset my phone before I posted here Smiley Frustrated 

But thanks again! I love this community! 

Ionut
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@monster5000 hmm. Okie dokie. So here's we go.

First i will suggest to switch your sim into another phone if possible to see if that phone can have LTE as well. Sometime damaged sim produce this. 

On the 2nd hand it's come like this,. Many time when you move from a company to another one the network settings are saved. So you need to reset your network.

Settings>BackUp & Reset and tap Reset network settings.

Note: this will erase saved wifi password, so make sure to recoonect agian.

Go to Settings>Mobile Network

Tap on Network mode and choose WDCMA/GSM (auto connect)

Then Select Network operators and tap Search network.

So after the search is finish choose youor carrier and try to see if Lte appear. Also i'm 100% that this phone have LTE because G930W8 model it's Canadian model of Samsung.

If not working try to delete the APN and create another one.

Also check if you don't have by mistake a "Set mobile data limit" which might block you.

Then for APN go to Settings>More network>Mobile network>access point names> and create another PM APN

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: Leave blank

I think that's what we are looking for @Luddite

Not an Android user but this seems to address your issue: Activate 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

monster5000

That's exactly why I am really confused. I know it should be working, and yet it's not. I even just went through Samsung Smart Switch and resetted my phone to make sure the firmware is genuine and up-to-date, but that made no difference. Still can't use LTE Smiley Sad

monster5000

Do you have any idea on how to manually enable it? Because under my current settings, I can't find anything that suggests that is possible. My phone is running Android 6.0.1 with the standard Samsung laucher and firmware if that makes any difference. 

The phone, according to the seller, was bought new from Costco. I got the phone sealed, and Costco provided me with an unlock code, so the seller seemed to be telling the truth. 

That's the same unit Bell carries, and as Bell and Telus share the network across Canada, it should certainly work on LTE. 

imateachertoo

Might try checking for enabling manual LTE under Call Settings or Mobile Networks...

or try enabling VoLTE...

Might also depend on which variant of the phone and what SIM and carrier it was originally unlocked with...

Need Help? Let's chat.