cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - Recent Android Update disabled my phone

Jas0n
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been using my Samsung Note 8 on the Public Mobile network for about 2 months now.  All was fine and dandy until I did a recent update to the Android system.   I noticed my SMS stopped sending messages.  And realized a day later that I wasn't getting phone calls.

So I started troubleshooting and eliminated the SIM card by inserting into my old A520 Samsung phone.  It functioned correctly.

I thought the update may have changed the API settings under mobile carrier's. 

The phone was provisioned for Public Mobile and it had entered all the info necessary automatically. 

I contacted Samsung who walked me through various steps and at one point I gave remote control of the phone and he was unable to help. 

While he was doing what he was doing on the phone I checked the blacklist status of the IMEI and there it was.  It had been reported lost or stolen, that was why it wouldn't go on the network. 

Why would an update cause this to happen?

Is there anything I can do to continue using my phone?

Any insite would be greatly appreciated.

Jas0n

8 REPLIES 8

jesusisgod
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

bc google controls android and yes updating apps could do this .It is gett ing out of hand .My grandaughter bc of updates cannot use her phone here on wifi now .

@Jas0n wrote:

I left the information about the phone being purchased second hand out of my post on purpose in hopes that someone might have a suggestion beyond the most obvious one.

I shall try the mods as you suggest.  Maybe they know something we dont. 🙂

thanks all who answered!  Especially the google phone comment.... i think i'll try that even though its very left field!

regards,

J

@Jas0n, if this is a second hand purchase from sites like Kijiji, then it is not that surprising the phone suddenly ends up being blacklisted.  There are lots of scam phone deals going on these days.  The moderators are not able to do anything to remove the blacklist.  It would require the rightful owner to step up to do that.  

Jas0n
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I left the information about the phone being purchased second hand out of my post on purpose in hopes that someone might have a suggestion beyond the most obvious one.

I shall try the mods as you suggest.  Maybe they know something we dont. 🙂

thanks all who answered!  Especially the google phone comment.... i think i'll try that even though its very left field!

regards,

J

@Alex888 wrote:
If you have the Google Phone app on your phone it may be causing the problem, try removing updates for it, then clear the app data and cache and restart your phone.

Please try to be helpful by posting relevant suggestions.  The phone IMEI has ended up in the blacklist.  What does a blacklisted phone have anything to do with the Google phone app or any app for that matter?

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
If you have the Google Phone app on your phone it may be causing the problem, try removing updates for it, then clear the app data and cache and restart your phone.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you purchased it used, I wonder if it had been stolen from its owner. That or the previous owner has decided to be a bit of a jerk and reported it in the hopes that you will reach out to them to extort more money from you (actually happened to a coworker of mine) to remove the blacklisting of it. 

If you bought it new, I can think of two possibilities. #1 Some how someone lost or had theirs stolen and typoed the IMEI and it happened to be yours (that is a bit of a stretch though). #2 if you discard the box, someone might have found it and decided to try to get a free Note 8 by reporting it lost (or just being a jerk in general), giving your IMEI from the box as proof of ownership. (That's an even bigger stretch). I'm kind of stymied if it you bought it new to be honest. I'm curious how this turns out.

@Jas0n wrote:

I have been using my Samsung Note 8 on the Public Mobile network for about 2 months now.  All was fine and dandy until I did a recent update to the Android system.   I noticed my SMS stopped sending messages.  And realized a day later that I wasn't getting phone calls.

So I started troubleshooting and eliminated the SIM card by inserting into my old A520 Samsung phone.  It functioned correctly.

I thought the update may have changed the API settings under mobile carrier's. 

The phone was provisioned for Public Mobile and it had entered all the info necessary automatically. 

I contacted Samsung who walked me through various steps and at one point I gave remote control of the phone and he was unable to help. 

While he was doing what he was doing on the phone I checked the blacklist status of the IMEI and there it was.  It had been reported lost or stolen, that was why it wouldn't go on the network. 

Why would an update cause this to happen?

Is there anything I can do to continue using my phone?

APN settings have nothing to do with phones calls.  In addition, the udpated software is just a coincidence.  The only official way to continue using the phone would be to have it removed from the lost stolen/list.  It would be helpful to know if where you purchased this phone.  If you purchased this phone directly from an official authorized retail store and have the receipt showing the IMEI on it, you may be in luck as you would be able to prove ownership and that you are the original person to first use that device.  if not, sadly, you may be out of luck, because that phone may have been stolen by someone, or lost and then resold by the person who found it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jas0n, Was this purchased new, or used?  If it was used, the previous owner might have reported it lost/stolen.

In any case, the only way you can get this resolved is by contacting the moderator team via private message.  Hopefully, they can remove the devise from the blacklist.

Click here to send the moderator team a private message. Their hours are: Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM(EST) & Sat/Sun 9AM-7:30PM(EST)
You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

Need Help? Let's chat.