cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy A8 - submodel SM-A530

bealangi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The tool showing phone compatibility does not indicate the Samsung Galaxy A8 submodel SM-530 as being compatible, but I thought I'd mention mine has been working perfectly fine with Public Mobile.

I thought I'd mention it because I hesitated to switch based on that, so maybe someone else is in that same situation.

Does anyone know why it's not listed as compatible? Have I broken the system? 😅

Screenshot_20191214-080316_Edge.jpgScreenshot_20191214-081039_Settings.jpg

15 REPLIES 15

@computergeek541   it's  mess up with Samsung, the phone changes from LTE to 4G when you make call, but the 4G actually means 3G... 

@hTideGnow 

I have tried a Telus SM-530W Samsung A8 (2018), and unfortunately it didn't work with VoLTE.  I then took that same SIM card and it worked in VoLTE in another device. On the Telus version of the Galaxy A8 (2018) with a Public Mobile SIM card, this device will show "4G" in the top status area for a HSPA/3G signal.  That 4G icon doesn't mean LTE.  If it says you have a 4G signal during a call on this model, you're not using VoLTE.  It has a seperare LTE icon for LTE connections.

@Guspublic1 wrote:

Hi, can you post date with version# from A8, so i can compare with mine from settings.

Screenshot_20230512-133854_Settings.jpg

@Guspublic1   yours is a dual sim phone ?

Looks like these are the bands on your phone, BOLD are the compatible bands with PM

3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
4G bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66

It should be compatible without problem

HI @Guspublic1   if you got the A8 from North America and a North America model , it should be compatible

Guspublic1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi, can you post date with version# from A8, so i can compare with mine from settings.

Guspublic1

I think mine is different version ( Saudi Arabia model).

Guspublic1

Hi, i was looking for the Frequencies that are compatible as shown on your screen shot. I know of the model# list, but i want to see same screen of the frequencies compatible with Volte. If you can add link.

Thanks

Guspublic1

I dont have the option, Volte on my phones. Only LTE/2g/3g option.

But i thought LTE was also Volte?

HI @Guspublic1 

there VoLTE compatible list is from here

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

But we know some phones not on the list will still work with VoLTE.

However, i think your 2 phones are probably too old to make the list.  but you can test it by enabling VoLTE on your phone and test

Guspublic1

Hi, where did you get this volte LTE compatibilty list from? Can you send url link?

Thanks

My Samsung A8 and Nokia 6.1 P.M. not on list and they say not compatible. Help.

Guspublic1

Hi, can you post the full version# of your A8. I have A8 but got message from PublicMobile saying not compatible. So what do i do? I am going to usa, and it says not Volte compatible. Here is my version#. Can you show me yours. Thanks. See photo of model# etc

@bealangi The SM-A530W is a Canadian-only specific variant of the Samsung A8 (2018).  It is the exact same one that Telus and Koodo have sold.

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@bealangi  The best way if it is not out of your way is visit a Public Mobile kiosk (assuming there is one in your area) and have them put in a working SIM to test calling/texting etc. Also, keep in mind that short codes for 2FA are an important consideration that may, or may not work, even if everything else seems fine online~ good luck!

bealangi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@bealangi , thanks for bringing this up.  Sadly the compatibility checker is far behind on its database.  These days with the proliferation of models, more often than not the compatibility checker will have trouble resolving all but the most popular phones.  The best way forward is not to use just one site to check and consult others if unsure.  The www is one huge resource.  Here's a site I like to use.  It shows a sub model with A530F.  I usually look for band 4 LTE.  If that is available, it's compatible.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a8_(2018)-8886.php

Need Help? Let's chat.